Silver status videos

• decentplayer
      decentplayer
      Bronze
      I am silver for the first time on pokerstrategy and I was curious how applicable are the 6max FL videos from 2010 and 2009 or older). I know poker has changed bla bla bla and I don't know how further in the past should I go when watching the silver status videos.

Thanks in advance.
  • 14 replies
      Bronze
      watching boomers micro surgery series is the best there is. the ones with terrorblade feel free to check them out , as the 25/50c ones are still pretty okay but boomers videos are the way to go.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Then there are the vids by Johnnyrocket1. One of them is "open to the public". It's very interesting to get inside their heads when they are doing leveling wars.
    • decentplayer
      decentplayer
      Bronze
      Thanks Avataren and Yohan. I will start with the micro surgery series and then I will take a look at the vid by johnnyrocket although in that video he plays 10/20 and 15/30 and it's a little bit higher than my regular stakes :tongue:
      Bronze
      Originally posted by decentplayer
      Thanks Avataren and Yohan. I will start with the micro surgery series and then I will take a look at the vid by johnnyrocket although in that video he plays 10/20 and 15/30 and it's a little bit higher than my regular stakes :tongue:
      what you want out of the johnnyrocket video is his thought process. Learn from it, his play at those stakes shouldn't really be taken into account or at least much but you can learn from his thought process (and his voice is sexy :D )
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      I'm happily married so don't think I have a bromance for the guy :D but Ava is so right. Stick to boomers microsurgery (do everything he says..clone the guy if you can. Boomer not Ava, ones enough of him :) ) ) and don't do what I do and miss every coaching session on Fridays as he really is the dogs dangly bits. I very much doubt there is any coaching site with such an FL coach who is as current with the game. Plus you can chat with him and ask the noobiest of questions and he won't treat you like a moron lol.. I never realised this until recently but he has some excellent teaching material in one of the other sections which doesnt seem to get a mention. (maths, ranges etc) with quizzes vids, everything you could need. If poker strategy ever thinks about ditching FL as its not as popular as NL then it would be worthless to me (not that they would be too concerned with the pennies they get from me : )

Moving on from that. He won't go through any of the basics (well basic to us) and why should he. Except you might struggle initially with how he plays the game.

I personally think the strategy articles are of excellent quality but make it extremely difficult to jump in quickly. As for using 7 charts, forget it. I know they are meant to be used until decions become automatic and you will play an ABC game but no amount of ritalin would get me to use them. It is soo much better to understand the concepts and despite what Ava will say now if you haven't already read both Ed Miller's books or just get the small stakes one as the 'getting started' is duplicated in the first part of 'small stakes' I would recommend you do. BUT don't use the starting hands chart apart from at 2/4 on poker stars (where you will make a fortune :) ) but understand the principles which are explained soooo well allowing you to 'get' what boomer is talking about

There is also 4 part DVD series he did which is floating around (don't pay for it cough cough) It is really very good. It's dated but is still just applicable as it covers concepts more closer to Boomers style of play and even if you think you won't get anything from it, I bet you will.

Finally. The must have book is 'The intelligent Poker player' People might say it no good for anyone that hasn't got the basics down but thats rubbish. It reads on so many levels and the better you get the more you appreciate what is being said and because it is written so well for a wide audience you might open it ,read it like i did cor about 4 hours, love it, but not get it lol..You will soon get it and you will get the most out of boomers vids as I think they are pals and regardless It's the genius of poker maths, without any maths :) I would go as far as to say if you don't read it then you not only will you not progress past a limit, you will only go down as the game is evolving like crazy (probably more so in NL then FL but knowing the maths is no longer enough (again not at stars where every micro player is a moron and I feel kind of bad playing there like I am breaking my pharmacy ethic declaration that I will protect the vunerable (complete morons ) But get the basics of the maths down. You probably already have and are a better player then me and gave up reading this a while ago :D

So to answer your question. No. Don't watch any of the other vids unless they are maths theory, analysis or the mental game ones. I haven't actually watched them yet but have read the Mental Game of poker and as a pharmacy student it has done wonders for both my studies and organisation, but not really much for my poker game funnily enough lol

Just my 2 cents but I only started in September and tried to ready every FL book out there and I aarrogantly think you only need two or three along with boomers coaching and equilab to smash the game.

Ava was/is a great help to me so MOST things I take as gospel but not everything.. He is very generous with his time so take advantage.

I am working my way through micro surgery for the second time now as I had no time during the autumn term but studied poker a lot over the xmas break and in the last week months of the summer so in my opinion I have a good grasp on what is important and whats not for the micros.

Hope that helps and blimey that was a bit long. If you wanna discuss stuff on here then that would be cool as there is not enough action in the Fixed limit forum despite it being the best :)
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bookie22
      I'm happily married so don't think I have a bromance for the guy :D but Ava is so right. Stick to boomers microsurgery (do everything he says..clone the guy if you can. Boomer not Ava, ones enough of him :) ) ) and don't do what I do and miss every coaching session on Fridays as he really is the dogs dangly bits. I very much doubt there is any coaching site with such an FL coach who is as current with the game. Plus you can chat with him and ask the noobiest of questions and he won't treat you like a moron lol.. I never realised this until recently but he has some excellent teaching material in one of the other sections which doesnt seem to get a mention. (maths, ranges etc) with quizzes vids, everything you could need. If poker strategy ever thinks about ditching FL as its not as popular as NL then it would be worthless to me (not that they would be too concerned with the pennies they get from me : )

Moving on from that. He won't go through any of the basics (well basic to us) and why should he. Except you might struggle initially with how he plays the game.

I personally think the strategy articles are of excellent quality but make it extremely difficult to jump in quickly. As for using 7 charts, forget it. I know they are meant to be used until decions become automatic and you will play an ABC game but no amount of ritalin would get me to use them. It is soo much better to understand the concepts and despite what Ava will say now if you haven't already read both Ed Miller's books or just get the small stakes one as the 'getting started' is duplicated in the first part of 'small stakes' I would recommend you do. BUT don't use the starting hands chart apart from at 2/4 on poker stars (where you will make a fortune :) ) but understand the principles which are explained soooo well allowing you to 'get' what boomer is talking about

There is also 4 part DVD series he did which is floating around (don't pay for it cough cough) It is really very good. It's dated but is still just applicable as it covers concepts more closer to Boomers style of play and even if you think you won't get anything from it, I bet you will.

Finally. The must have book is 'The intelligent Poker player' People might say it no good for anyone that hasn't got the basics down but thats rubbish. It reads on so many levels and the better you get the more you appreciate what is being said and because it is written so well for a wide audience you might open it ,read it like i did cor about 4 hours, love it, but not get it lol..You will soon get it and you will get the most out of boomers vids as I think they are pals and regardless It's the genius of poker maths, without any maths :) I would go as far as to say if you don't read it then you not only will you not progress past a limit, you will only go down as the game is evolving like crazy (probably more so in NL then FL but knowing the maths is no longer enough (again not at stars where every micro player is a moron and I feel kind of bad playing there like I am breaking my pharmacy ethic declaration that I will protect the vunerable (complete morons ) But get the basics of the maths down. You probably already have and are a better player then me and gave up reading this a while ago :D

So to answer your question. No. Don't watch any of the other vids unless they are maths theory, analysis or the mental game ones. I haven't actually watched them yet but have read the Mental Game of poker and as a pharmacy student it has done wonders for both my studies and organisation, but not really much for my poker game funnily enough lol

Just my 2 cents but I only started in September and tried to ready every FL book out there and I aarrogantly think you only need two or three along with boomers coaching and equilab to smash the game.

Ava was/is a great help to me so MOST things I take as gospel but not everything.. He is very generous with his time so take advantage.

I am working my way through micro surgery for the second time now as I had no time during the autumn term but studied poker a lot over the xmas break and in the last week months of the summer so in my opinion I have a good grasp on what is important and whats not for the micros.

Hope that helps and blimey that was a bit long. If you wanna discuss stuff on here then that would be cool as there is not enough action in the Fixed limit forum despite it being the best :)
      Don't read Ed Millers crappy books. I didnt even have to read all what my apprentice Bookie had written I just knew he would mention that horrible book/name. Don't read it, its crap and of no use even to the newest of the newest player. It will only give you bad ideas that won't last long and you won't be able to use in todays games.

I haven't been able to form an opinion on The Intelligent poker player book so I won't comment on that. Bookie tells me its wonderful the holy grail but yeah .. I'm not a fan of poker books. I believe in learning on the job and visual (videos , talking) is much better than read a whole book you won't understand half of when you read it the first time.

@Bookie22

1 of me is never enough !!!

"Ava was/is a great help to me so MOST things I take as gospel but not everything.. He is very generous with his time so take advantage."

and you call what i say gospel ? what the heck does that even mean ? wait i don't even understand that sentence. :O except you want decentplayer to take advantage of me :D ew ew ew ew ew ew
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      First off I don't think Ava has ever read a book :D Second what I tried to express was that miller covers the FUNDAMENTALS that don't change very very well. I have a betting background so pot odds/probability is something that is second nature to me so I really do agree with a lot of things he says and as Ava has never even read the book, Miller does also advise an agressive game. Just no where near what it needs to be nowadays.

That being said. After reading the book my aggression dropped Ava almost swam from Denmark to the UK with plans on inserting Mr Miller's opinions in places Miller has no right to be. BUT I was playing the odds game and playing it at poker stars and at 2/4 instead of 5/10 which i normally play. which is not only extremely profitable you can do it whilst a sleep if you can at least approximate odds and ditch everything at all iffy and leave yourself with easy peesy decions on the flop. You're golden It was a revelation and I sang from the roof tops.

It is easy money, you will win every time you play BUT you simply won't progress and so I turned up the aggression again, stayed at 2/4 just because I had a little cooler at 5/10 and its easier to play aggressive at 2/4 as you feel like it doesn't matter but I still played my A game and I have a pretty little graph that is almost as straight as y=mx+c. In fairness it also looked like that when I was nitty :D

The light bulb moment came after Ava managed to stop frothing at the mouth long enough for equity to really sink in. I always knew what it represented, but for example never wanted to play certain hands that can be iffy that are +EV OOP or IP with lots of players at 2/4 as you simply can't put them on a range and I hated that. But we spent a few hours on equilab, he set me some homework which I have yet to finish but it was the most productive couple of hours learning poker. (Is there some conspiracy why there is so little support/instruction etc for equilab????? when its as good as anything else out there??)

So take the fundamentals from miller. Or forget miller if you already did all the articles etc AN UNDERSTAND THEM and play as boomer instructs or in my case as Ava dictates. Don't use the SHC at poker strategy unless you have no other..(Lets get a proper one up eh?)

Ava, you need to work on your English as it as you are barely intelligible :D so I will let you find out what gospel means, but I will say that no man should be taken advantaged of in the way you have interperated, so thats a head start.
      Bronze
      First off I don't think Ava has ever read a book :D Second what I tried to express was that miller covers the FUNDAMENTALS that don't change very very well. I have a betting background so pot odds/probability is something that is second nature to me so I really do agree with a lot of things he says and as Ava has never even read the book, Miller does also advise an agressive game. Just no where near what it needs to be nowadays.

That being said. After reading the book my aggression dropped Ava almost swam from Denmark to the UK with plans on inserting Mr Miller's opinions in places Miller has no right to be. BUT I was playing the odds game and playing it at poker stars and at 2/4 instead of 5/10 which i normally play. which is not only extremely profitable you can do it whilst a sleep if you can at least approximate odds and ditch everything at all iffy and leave yourself with easy peesy decions on the flop. You're golden It was a revelation and I sang from the roof tops.

It is easy money, you will win every time you play BUT you simply won't progress and so I turned up the aggression again, stayed at 2/4 just because I had a little cooler at 5/10 and its easier to play aggressive at 2/4 as you feel like it doesn't matter but I still played my A game and I have a pretty little graph that is almost as straight as y=mx+c. In fairness it also looked like that when I was nitty :D

The light bulb moment came after Ava managed to stop frothing at the mouth long enough for equity to really sink in. I always knew what it represented, but for example never wanted to play certain hands that can be iffy that are +EV OOP or IP with lots of players at 2/4 as you simply can't put them on a range and I hated that. But we spent a few hours on equilab, he set me some homework which I have yet to finish but it was the most productive couple of hours learning poker. (Is there some conspiracy why there is so little support/instruction etc for equilab????? when its as good as anything else out there??)

So take the fundamentals from miller. Or forget miller if you already did all the articles etc AN UNDERSTAND THEM and play as boomer instructs or in my case as Ava dictates. Don't use the SHC at poker strategy unless you have no other..(Lets get a proper one up eh?)

Ava, you need to work on your English as it as you are barely intelligible :D so I will let you find out what gospel means, but I will say that no man should be taken advantaged of in the way you have interperated, so thats a head start.
      I do know what gospel means i just don't know the meaning of the whole sentence. If you are complimenting me or bashing me or whatever. You know im not good at deciphering emotions.

edit: get your ass on skype as soon as you can.
    • decentplayer
      decentplayer
      Bronze
      Hi Bookie! Thanks for the time you took for writing such a detailed post.(how awesome would have been if I replied only with "k" :tongue: )

I read Ed Miller's book twice and still didn't manage to apply anything from it to my game(I may be an idiot). I found Sklansky's book more usefull at that time. I must confess that I didn't hear of "The intelligent Poker player"(the book...intelligent players I saw a few at tv :) ). I'll give it a try someday.

I played a little bit after charts in the past but I'd like to think that I am past the point when somebody has to tell me exactly what hands to play without adjusting to the players at the table.

Although I am a proven winning player at 2/4c, 5/10c and almost proven at 10/20c, my major concern is that I am not that good at poker, but fabulous at choosing tables.So if/when I move up limits, I will not have such a large pool of idiot players to choose from and I can become a loser or at least breakeven player.

Recently I lost my job and I have like 2-3 months to move up or to grind 12 tables at 5/10c for a couple of hundred bucks(or find another job, but I don't really think that this will happen too soon)

You were talking about 2/4c...at that limit you can play a lot of styles and still win money. I think that the only rule at that limit is to value bet/raise/cap and not to bluff. But playing at that limit for a long period will definitely damage your game.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      First off I don't think Ava has ever read a book :D ...
      I don't think Ava can read at all :D
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      **BE CAREFUL THOUGH**

The 1st time I made it to gold I devoured them all and foolishly used what I learned at the micros :f_eek:

You will love Micro Surgery but Logic Knot is another dimension.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      at least im better off than a swedish guy like you.. I have a brain and actually able to use it.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avataren
      at least im better off than a swedish guy like you.. I have a brain and actually able to use it.
      I meat this as a joking and friendly comment only.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avataren
      I meat this as a joking and friendly comment only.
      same here