Getting smashed

• jeebRNMD
      jeebRNMD
      Bronze
      I need to vent..lost most of my bankroll...it feels like everytime i have a set someone has a higher one and if i have 2nd nut someone has first. Whats the key to winning? Only playing for stacks when you have the absolute best hand!?

Sincerly one discouraged player ?(
  • 9 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I'm in the exact same position as you right now. The only thing we must do is make sure we don't break anything and grind on through it :(

Moved to Small talk too ;)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if I can give any better advice, since I am - once again - in a similar situation, except that my bankroll is not really in danger because I'm currently using some almost unreasonably tight BRM.

One thing I can tell you, though, is that becoming a nit is not the solution. More often than not, a set is a good reason to go broke. You should not be scared of opponents having higher sets, at least.

We usually put opponents on ranges, not exact hands, so unless you have a really good reason to believe your opponent is holding the nuts and nothing else, the 2nd nuts could be a good reason to push as well, though that might be a little more situational.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but if you put your money in ahead of your opponent's range, I don't think you made any mistakes. Players would exploit you if you only played for stacks with the stone cold nuts.

What limits do you play, anyway (I assume you play cash)?
    • jeebRNMD
      jeebRNMD
      Bronze
      I play Nl10 but like a retard wanted to make up for it and went to NL25 and lost even more...

What are your BM guidelines when you say your have a really tight one?
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jeebRNMD
      I play Nl10 but like a retard wanted to make up for it and went to NL25 and lost even more...

Heey jeebRNMD,

also NL10 is not that easy anymore. Game is though and we need really strong mindset if we want to succeed. I discussed that with my poker buddy few days ago and he got the point. Those are just the cards. Try to think and act like this. When something happen don't be frustrated but say. Ok here is the hand how to do best of it? Is folding the best option? is raising the best option? Why? Try to think about the cards and not about your bad luck. I really work hard right now to understand my mindset in a way that i will specifically make some notes after my sessions. I will take few notes on my feelings. So if something strange happen on a table and my hearth rate will increase significantly i will write this down. i will try to understand the patterns of my behavior... conscious and subconscious one.

So we feel the same like you do...you are not alone here. When we are loosing we have probably very similar feelings.With hard work i think we can avoid such destructive behavior. At least i think so.

Good luck and i hope my words were not total nonsense :f_cool:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator

*Trying* to win will kill you.
      One hand at a time, one decision at a time.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      What I mean by that is that I'm currently going way beyond the 25 buy-in rule suggested on this site.

Right now, I have about $400 and I still play NL5 SH, that's almost 80 buy-ins! Even using 50 buy-ins would be considered conservative.
      The reason for that is that I haven't been successful at NL10 and was constantly running into tilt issues, so I dropped down one limit to regain my confidence. I plan to move back up when I have around $420, so I could theoretically blow off two stacks and still be above $400.

Normally, though, I stick to the 25 buy-in rule. I'm just making an exception right now due to the current situation.

You mean you played NL25 without having the bankroll for it, just to regain lost money? That's definitely not a good idea.
      You don't have to be as cautious as I am, but you should at the very least make sure you're adequately rolled for your limit.
    • jeebRNMD
      jeebRNMD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883

Heey jeebRNMD,

also NL10 is not that easy anymore. Game is though and we need really strong mindset if we want to succeed. I discussed that with my poker buddy few days ago and he got the point. Those are just the cards. Try to think and act like this. When something happen don't be frustrated but say. Ok here is the hand how to do best of it? Is folding the best option? is raising the best option? Why? Try to think about the cards and not about your bad luck. I really work hard right now to understand my mindset in a way that i will specifically make some notes after my sessions. I will take few notes on my feelings. So if something strange happen on a table and my hearth rate will increase significantly i will write this down. i will try to understand the patterns of my behavior... conscious and subconscious one.

So we feel the same like you do...you are not alone here. When we are loosing we have probably very similar feelings.With hard work i think we can avoid such destructive behavior. At least i think so.

Good luck and i hope my words were not total nonsense :f_cool:
      Yeah it does make sense...I guess i just have to take step back and slow things down...i do understand cards are cards but i hate beeing punished when i do the right moves! Then i start playing like them and obviously i dont luck out like they just did.

I think i might start monitoring my moods and try to see in wich situations i do get more nervous/frustrated ect and try to see why...thats a good idea! :)
    • jeebRNMD
      jeebRNMD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88

Right now, I have about $400 and I still play NL5 SH, that's almost 80 buy-ins! Even using 50 buy-ins would be considered conservative.
      The reason for that is that I haven't been successful at NL10 and was constantly running into tilt issues, so I dropped down one limit to regain my confidence. I plan to move back up when I have around $420, so I could theoretically blow off two stacks and still be above $400.

Normally, though, I stick to the 25 buy-in rule. I'm just making an exception right now due to the current situation.
      Yeah i think im start doing that...im way to careless and i starting to realise i should treat it like it's war out there...everybody out to kill us...im still thinking its a kids playground... hence my problems i guess!

Originally posted by Harrier88
      You mean you played NL25 without having the bankroll for it, just to regain lost money? That's definitely not a good idea.
      You don't have to be as cautious as I am, but you should at the very least make sure you're adequately rolled for your limit.
      Yup...i did the worse thing i could had done at that moment. I wanted to lose it all at the moment i guess...you know when you lose faith in it all...you just feel like this is bullshit and you cant do nothing about it...yeah thats right...anyways guess this is all part of the learning process! Gotta get hurt a few times too realise you have to take steps to prevent it again...hopefully this was a turning point :f_p:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Always remember that even the best players in the world are bound to go broke if they don't stick to proper bankroll management. (Gus Hansen, anyone?)
      There's no quick and easy way up the limits. That only works in the movies.

Good luck and take care!