Arrrrrrrrgh !

• EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      My tournament play has improved considerably since joining PokerStrategy 11 daysa ago, I've even run well in the two English community league games.

But today is a low point, just call me bubble boy:

20:00 (Titan) New Players Special $1,000 Freeroll = 21st / 171 (top 20 cash)
      20:35 (Full Tilt) $100 U.K. Freeroll = 57th / 1,007 (top 27 cash).

Weeeeeeeep :(

Still at least they were just freerolls. I'm keeping it real and sticking to my BRM of 0.05/0.10 & freeroll mtts only at the moment.

Haven't got to the bits in the guides/videos about late stage play in MTT, but will do shortly. I can't actually see where I went wrong though, both tourneys I pushed in with the best hand (one was KK, the other AKs) and suked out both times.

Anyone have any tips for me?

I guess this is just part of the rollercoaster of poker and at least I am now consistently getting into the latter stages of tourneys. I'm sure I'll be chuffed to bits tomorrow when I think about it calmly, but right now I'd better stay clear of the cash tables lol :D

Thanks for listening to my sob story, feeling better already.

Bart
  • 2 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      So You played both at the same time? I think It's not good to play more than one MTT same time. Especially at late stage or bubble is important to be concentrated and read your opponents. Badbeat in one turney can affect your play in another one so playing only one MTT is IMO better. Ok, You can play more freerolls together but be carefull in future on turneys with buy-in.

About bubble, it's hard to tell.It depends on stacks and reads. As Bigstack I'm always agressive and keeping pressure on shorts. As shortstack You can push with good hands or fold everything and hope to be in cash. But by folding You became realy short and blinds will eat You very quickly. On the other site bigstacks can call Your push with worse hands and sometimes wins (I lost many times aces or kings against low pairs or connectors).
      Your goal should be final table, not last paid place. Only exception is turneys like "New Players special" with only a few opponents and big guaranteed pricepool because last paid place is awarded well too. Am I right? ;)

And remember, bubble is not your enemy, but your friend :)

BTW: Don't be worry, You're probably playing well. If You can be on bubble You can be in money too. I'm sure Your lucky day will come ;)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Many thanks for taking the time to reply Kenny.

Yes, great words of advice.

I was actually sitting out of the Full Tilt tourney, as the Titan was higher prize fund and I was playing well/approaching bubble.
      I was surprised to still be in the 2nd tourney, arrived with just under 1xBB left, pushed on the 3rd hand (KQ i think it was) & the rest is history. Played really aggressive (had to) to get back into tourney, but fell just short.

You are spot on though, I think the bubble on the first tourney affected me mentally for the 2nd. Got scared which equalled tight which equalled pressure. One to learn from.

Again spot on. The New PLayers Special was paying $250 (1st), down to $12 (20th). Not bad odds from a field of 170+.

Thanks for the encouragement, will learn, improve and move on.

Bart