Help a guy out?

• MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I play micro stakes ZOOM cash and improving that format will be my primary goal moving forward but have taken to playing a few MTT’s and the larger SNGs while I play as I hope to improve my understanding of tournament play for affordable live events in the future.

Thus far I think 90/180mans are the way forward as I can have a few running without drawing too much of my attention away from the cash tables.
      I am hoping to pick your brains with a few noob Q’s if you could help a guy out.

-I have settled on $2.5 90mans and $1.5 90man k/o as I am not too fussed about hitting volume targets and they play so much slower they require less focus and I think I can use the (minimal) CG experience to build stacks during the MidPhase of the tournament. Is my reasoning sound or can you suggest a better format given my circumstances?

-8-12 essential HUD stats for multi tabling MTTers? (im expecting a couple that wouldn’t appear on my CG HUD so need advice from the more experienced.)

-1-3 sources of study (a video, article etc) that you would recommend as ‘must reads’ for a player new to MTTs but not as new to poker.

Thanks for any help in advance and GL with the TCOOPs Im sure a lot of you are playing.

MD
  • 5 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey MD =)

First of all I wouldn't suggest playing cashgames and tournaments at the same time. Since the playstyle is quite different you should try to concentrate on one of them at a time. I would even suggest to concentrate your efforts on one variant. If you get to higher limits you may still switch to other variants then.

If you still want to play both (I would REALLY recommend to at least play them seperatly and not at the same time) the mtsng's are a good way to start. When you don't have to split your focus the turbo's should be the way to go. They play much faster, give a way better ROI and are more profitable in the end.

For the HUD I would suggest the standard stats: VPIP/PFR/3bet
      Furthermore you may have a look at the M factor. An article that describes it is available here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1557/1/
      If you want to use it (which I would suggest) you will find the stat in the misc section of your HUD options.
      While these are the most important stats you may want to consider stats like Attempt to steal, raise first in or resteal %, though they won't be of much use in most situations due to missing samplesizes. In general a very basic HUD is sufficient for MTT's.

There aren't a lot of good books on the market for MTT's. My suggestions would be "Kill Everyone" as well as the "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time"-series. I was also told that "Raiser's Edge" is a good book - haven't read it myself though. All the books I mentioned are quite good, but none is an absolutely must read.

Regarding videos I would suggest all videos by CollinMoshman specifically: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#searchtext=CollinMoshman&key=author&contenttype=0&gametype=0&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

He did a lot of videos on 90men and 180men mtsng's and is an experienced coach.

Currently there are no specific articles that I would suggest. Most articles in the MTT section as well as the SNG section will help though. Most important for a cashgamer would be the ICM articles in the SNG section I guess.

I hope that answers your questions ;)
      If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Are you aware of Zoom tournaments, MD? If you're used to playing Zoom cash games, maybe you'll like them.

Having cash experience is actually not a bad start for the earlier phases of MTTs in my opinion. But as Asaban pointed out, you'll need to have some knowledge of the ICM for the later phases.
      In addition to the articles on this topic, I'd advise you to download the ICM Trainer from our Poker Tools section and practice a little bit. It's primarily meant for SNGs, but the principles also apply to the late phase of MTTs to a degree. Keep in mind, though, that Pokerstars prohibits you from using this tool while your client is running.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Thanks for the addition Harrier, the tool is a good way to practice ICM situations and I can absolutely recommend using it. You may find it here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-tools/icm-trainer/

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Ungrateful git scooting back for a late reply here :facepalm:
      Thank you both for your feedback.

So I played a couple of TurboSNG's and as you pointed it out it was detracting from my focus at the cash tables. I also think Turbos pretty Fing dull as average stack was down to about 12bb within 30 minutes. I can see why they are popular though as it must be a good way to get in good volume.

Asaban - I am interested to hear why you think the edge/win-rate is potentially higher at the turbos (sure enough plenty of light ships late stage) but I generally felt I had more of an edge playing the reg speed as people were pretty damn weak post flop and the slower structure allowed time to capitalise on that.
      I guess with appropriate volume one could realise the EV in the donkey late stage play.

I think moving forward I shall take your advice and focus on cash (God knows I'v got enough to work on) with the hope of sometime in the future coming back and giving a couple of months to 'branching out.'
      That sais I will still fix up a HUD for some weekend MTT shinanigans.

Thanks again for all your advice you two.

MD
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      The edge won't be substantially higher at turbo's, neither will be your winrate. The hourly will be substantially higher though, since you will be able to play way more tournaments in the same amount of time.

Regards,
      Asaban