little fish big waters

• riker22
      been playing poker now 5 months and I play lots of freerolls, not won any yet but been in top 10 a couple of times, best won £20, overall how any top players play these or are they just for beginners
  • 4 replies
    • badgerer
      they are just for begginers usually. its a good way to gain experience but there isn't really any value in them compared to the time they take to play.
    • Lazza61
      Hey riker22,

Welcome to the blogs :)

I started my poker career as a freeroller. Of course the major advantage was learning the basics of different variants without cost and picking up a few dollars and cents on the way.

This hard earned money tended to disappear rather quickly which is when I realised that after a while freerolls will stifle your development. So I googled poker strategy to learn more and here I am. :f_biggrin:

I occasionally still play freerolls (There's a nice juicy 10k one on at PokerHeaven (Microgaming) in about 10 days so I'm looking forward to shipping that :coolface: ).

Make sure you check out our strategy articles and videos.

• Harrier88
      Some poker careers have been started by playing freerolls, but I don't think there is anyone who is seriously grinding them.

Freerolls are a great introduction to the game for beginners, and some of them might put quite some effort into them for a while (there's the PokerSchoolOnline Skill League on Pokerstars for example, which keeps track of the player's long-term performance and includes an overall leaderboard). Serious players just don't get the necessary return from them, though. MTTs are the real deal. Freerolls are mainly for fun.

If you haven't already, I think you should give MTTs a shot if you have the bankroll for them. Considering that you already have a few top 10 finishes from freerolls under your belt, I believe you'll do all right.
      They probably shouldn't be your main game, though. It's pretty tough to grind them for a long-term profit (but definitely not impossible).
    • riker22
      hi Lazza61

oh don't worry I will be there for that one and the others at poker heaven