Passive Table.

• vaulsc
      vaulsc
      Bronze
      Bear with me while I discuss an entirely hypothetical table:

It's a cash game, with players coming and going, played from 5-handed to 8-handed. When it is any given player's turn to act (apart from you), the player simply calls the big blind. If any player raises, it is only a min-raise. If the betting ever reaches the player who has the ability to close off the betting with the call, that player usually min-raises again to re-open the betting. It isn't uncommon to reach a family pot. If you were to go all-in pre-flop you will always get a minimum of one caller.

What is the best way to beat this kind of table?

If you wait for premium hands, you will be up against several players who might catch a piece of the flop. You can never bluff on this table, you will always get called. Chips are constantly shifting around, so you want to see some flops and try to make the nuts, but it is always more expensive than just a limp to see the flop, because the last person to act always min-raises. Essentially, playing at this table is a lottery, but you can save a lot of money by not playing a bunch of hands.

What hands do you play, and when?
  • 2 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Not going to give too comprehensive an answer on this since i'm still relatively fishy but I would just raise massive with my premiums and hope to get it in semi-light maybe JJ+, AQ, but obv depends on the the preflop action. And I would tend to play drawings hands a lot more since I imagine that postflop you get a good price quite often maybe limp/callling Axs, KXs and a lot more suited connectors and one gappers. Just my 2c
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by legand73
      And I would tend to play drawings hands a lot more since I imagine that postflop you get a good price quite often maybe limp/callling Axs, KXs and a lot more suited connectors and one gappers. Just my 2c
      Exactly. At first I never called but raised instead but by the time I realised that so much flops can be seen for a good price by limping drawing hands. These type of tables were the vast majority at NL2 for me.