Jakkosh

• Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey my name is jack, im 24 from england and play poker daily (again.)
      I been playing micro sngs / tourneys recreationally on and off for months now ( PKR before i found Pokerstars). I have decided to make a mini go of it and finally do the right thing and study!
      I can see this is the right place for me!
      I have many added challenges ahead of me in the poker world, so i have a plan to start from scratch and go on the NL beginners course and see how i go! =)
  • 17 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Jack,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :)

The beginner's course is not only a great starting point, It's also handy for players who haven't learnt in a structured fashion. You go through the course and find there is a key concept you've missed or you have misunderstood.

GL and I look forward to hearing of your successes

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community Jack!

Hope you are settling in OK and finding your way around without any problems. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have.

All the best,
      Gary

:)
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey :) thanks for the welcome. I actually do have multiple burning questions, but perhaps they are a bit unusual / subjective! Im not exactly sure which place in the forums i should post this, but here goes.. ((wall of text incoming!))

I know my biggest challenge with the game is my focus/concentration. I have an illness called CFS and while its mostly physical symptoms it can have cognitive effects too.
      The nature of the illness has its swings, so if i choose my times carefully i can concentrate for a full mtt/tournament, trust my reads and it mostly goes well. Iv been doing this for a while, taking small bits of info in, practicing and i can definitely see an improvement.
      With my situation being the way it is, i had a quick look around the internet to find some inspiration about being ill and still making it in poker. Pretty much all i could find were forums with many people saying the same kind of things; "If you are ill , hungover etc just don't play and wait until you are better."
      Well i might get better one day, but i couldn't say when that is, and while i am stuck at home i see poker as a way for me to still achieve many different things. So poker is big deal to me!
      I am now dedicated to learning and growing in poker in any way i can, but i must admit I am a little disheartened. I do understand that when your not on your best form, you will not be on your best poker form either, but i would like to believe with dedication i could still make it, at least to some kind of level. I do have time on my side!
      I started to look around the life coaching areas of poker as I thought that may be beneficial to me, but i found a lot of things were hard to apply to me specifically, so i (probably prematurely) gave up on that area.

So, i apologize for the life story, but i didnt really know how to get my questions across without going into the detail, i wasnt even sure if i should post this at all(!), but i would be very interested to know a few things.

Does anyone know of many success stories of people in the same situation?
      Is there any way i could find someone to help me personalize life coaching to my needs?
      If so how do i go about that?
      And lastly if anyone is in a similar situation it would be good to hear about your poker journey!

Thanks for listening, bit of a strange introduction i know, but i would probably benefit from a boost confidence in this specific matter before i start studying for real!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Jack,

I sincerely hope you get better soon. I don't know anyone with CFS but I would like to include a couple of links.

The first is about Alastair Lynch, a champion Australian Rules footballer who was struck down by CFS in the prime of his career and eventually came back to be a tripe premiership winning player.

The second is about Jonno Bredin, a cerebral palsy sufferer who won a major tournament in NZ in August for about 100k.

Alastair Lynch

Jonno Bredin

Also a couple of threads that you may find interesting

The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

Regards

Laz
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      CFS stands for chronic fatigue syndrome, doesn't it?

I don't know any players who are suffering from this condition in particular, but there are a few successful players who are dealing with some other kind of mental illness or had to recover from one.

For example, I stumbled upon an audio interview with former EPT champion Ben Wilinofsky, who is suffering from depression and anxiety disorder.

I assume you're already familiar with Mike "The Mouth" Matusow, who had to deal with bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and depression in the past, on top of drug and gambling addictions, of course. It is said that he used to play video poker machines until his arms and shoulders got repetitive strain injuries.

Lastly, not a mental illness, but an inspirational story nonetheless: In the 1960's, poker legend Doyle Brunson had to deal with a cancerous tumor that was considered incurable. He agreed to undergo surgery anyway, hoping that it would prolong his life long enough so he could witness the birth of his daughter, but miraculously, his tumor seemed to have disappeared without a trace after the surgery, and 50 years later he's still playing professional poker. :s_thumbsup:

About the coaching: We do have a few coaches here who specialize in the mental aspects of the game (Schnitzelfisch and ErikStenqvist come to mind) who might be able to give you some personalized advice. Maybe you can contact them.

In any case, I really commend your courage and determination. Best of luck!
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for the links and thoughts. :)

It really does help to hear about other peoples successes! For example with the case of Jonathan Bredin or Ben Wilinofsky; it does give hope to counter the slightly less encouraging info out there!
      I am definitely spurred on to make a go of things, hopefully others in similar situations would have the confidence to go for it too!

So thanks to both of your posts i have a few places to go from here. I may see if i could get any health related tilting tips from the Q&A. Also, I admire the life coaches, they seem like very intelligent people. They must be very busy but i am tempted to get involved in some way.

But overall its nice to hear that it can and does happen! Thanks for welcoming me in, and with an added confidence boost too lol :D
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey Harrier, replying here instead of locker room in case they get annoyed clouding up the lesson spaces :D :D

Im having a great start! After starting the beginners course my play has really improved.
      I have also noticed something strange. If im following an adapted hands chart and doing 4 tables, my concentration stays better through the illness than if im doing one table!
      I have no idea of the reasoning behind that! Im definitely having a positive experience in the beginning stages. Im jus going through the limits to see where i belong and found that full ring NL10 is a good learning curve for me. Maybe ill see you zooming around on stars one day :D
      Good luck with the course :)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Awesome! Glad to hear you're making progress, and, more importantly, having fun doing it. :s_grin:

I also found that multitabling can, in some cases, actually be helpful to your game, as long as you're not overdoing it. It's probably because there is less "dead air" where you're just waiting for someone else to play their hand, especially in full ring games. Having another table to play makes you stay on your toes and can keep you from getting bored and, as a result, prone to distractions.

Originally posted by Jakkosh
      Im jus going through the limits to see where i belong and found that full ring NL10 is a good learning curve for me.
      That's great, but you're still using correct bankroll management, are you?
      There is a whole bunch of players who like experimenting with different stakes and play the ones they think they can beat, without having the necessary financial cushion. I used to be one of them when I started out.

NL10 Zoom is actually the limit I'm currently playing, but I play shorthanded.

Would you consider starting your own blog around here, by any chance?
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey again :)
      Yeah I have been following some kind of bankroll management every day of my SNG poker life, until now. Im studying every day and doing the beginners course and making the switch to cash games. I just wanted to test the waters in a higher limit to see if I could cut it in there. I plan to deposit something soon and follow BRM in 10nl. I dont suppose you have a recommendation for that? Is 35 buy-ins too aggressive do you think?

I have thought about starting a blog, but then chickened out lol. I guess its fear of displaying my failures or people not being that interested or something lol! But yeah i will consider it when i start my journey properly, I think it would probably help me be more organized in keeping a solid routine and it would be good to get advice along the way.
      Have you thought about doing one? Or have one already?
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      35 buy-ins is definitely fine. In fact, you could possibly even be a little more aggressive. Have you read the introductory article about the BSS yet? This one recommends 25 buy-ins.

I guess it's not a big problem to "test the waters" at a higher limit once, but please don't let it become a habit. By the way, there's absolutely no shame in playing lower limits and trying to grind your way up, but if you prefer to deposit a couple of bucks to play NL10 right away, then go for it. Just be prepared to move down if it doesn't go as planned.

Yes, I do have a blog, you can find it here. Just be warned, I have a tendency to write long posts, and go into emo mode when I have big losses. :f_wink:

I was originally reluctant to start a blog, for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. Then again, it's not like people pay you entertain them, so there's nothing wrong with using your blog as a diary or something, which is pretty much what I do, and so do plenty of others. It turned out that there are a couple of people who do read and enjoy my stuff, which is nice, but I'd also keep writing it if no one else gave a crap.

Displaying your "failures" is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it can even help you analyze your mindset in those situations, and might also be a good way to "let off some steam". You can't hide from your losses anyway, whether you post them or not.

On a related note, though, I do admit that I have been a little embarrassed in the past to post blatantly misplayed hands on the evaluation boards. :f_grin: It's still an important step to improve, you gotta confront your mistakes head on.
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hey! Sorry for the late reply, been having a few days off.
      Had a bit of a turn for the worse in my play due to health i think, but have learnt alot from it. I always have a little bit of a disadvantage with my energy so I had a bit of a think on it and been reading alot of books on the mental game lately.
      Decided to live as healthily as i can (as i should of anyway!) So i gave up smoking, started being strict with sleep and eating well. I did a mini session today and I can definitely feel the difference. I am tilting alot less and keeping a level head so far, so hopefully i can keep it that way.

On that note I can clearly see I am need of a blog. My intro post has basically become one anyway! Been thinking on what you said and keeping a record of my progress is probably going to help me more than most; I can look back and track my energy vs performance. I am definitely going to have a similar problem in writing my head off, as you can see from my wall of text each time lol.

On the matter of bankroll management I did read the guide a little while back but since then I read Dusty Schmidt's book; he conservatively recommended 100 buy ins for each limit. I respect his opinions but am very relieved to be going a on different path! Too extreme for me i think.

Thanks again Harrier for your comments and advice. As a newcomer to the forums you have helped me a great deal, you should run for moderator hah. Ill go check out your blog :s_biggrin:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I'm not familiar with Dusty's book, but was his advice geared towards tournament players, by any chance? 100 buy-ins for MTTs seems pretty standard, and it would even work as a conservative BRM guideline for SNG players.
      If it wasn't, he was probably talking about professional players and other high-rollers, although I think that even for them 50 buy-ins should be enough.

For micro-stakes grinders like us who are trying to build a roll, following the 100 buy-in rule definitely wouldn't make much sense. Over $500 for NL5? I don't think so...

Looking forward to your blog, maybe we can continue our little discussion over there. :f_wink: By the way, if you'd prefer to continue from here, I'm sure a moderator could just rename this thread and move it to the blogs section for you.
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Hello everyone (again!)
      I have decided to resurrect my old intro thread for a couple of reasons.
      Its been a while since I have been active around here and I have receded back to my lurker status (apart from the word game lol) for a decent chunk of time. I have had alot of time off of poker too, due to health taking a turn for the worse. But now I feel ready to make a proper go of things. My health is still hit and miss, but at a level where I can manage it and I have decided to persevere regardless.
      The main reason for my reintroduction, though, is to vow to start my blog (finally) in the next few days. So I am writing this in black and white, so no going back now!
      I have explored different formats of poker casually over the past year and finally settled on 6-max, with the aim to climb the limits from 10nl on pokerstars. My blog will concentrate on health + energy vs performance, which will be useful for to look back on as time goes on.

Harrier! If you read this just want to say that im happy you have made moderator since i was away, i knew you were suited for it, gratz! :f_thumbsup: What format you playing these days?
      Gl on the tables all
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Jakkosh!

It's great to see you back! Yeah, I became a moderator some time in August last year. Right now, I'm playing shorthanded Zoom cash games, just like I did back then. However, I actually just started playing them again about a week or two ago. I've been trying all kinds of games in the meantime. For example, I went back to SNGs for quite a while, and also gave Five Card Draw a chance.

I'm looking forward to your blog already, you will definitely see me around.

Best of luck!
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Just wondering if there is a word limit to these posts lol! My blog is mostly done in notepad and im afraid my first post is longer than an english essay exam rofl. It certainly wont be for people that dont like long posts ha. But never mind, it going to be a personal diary for me anyways.
      But yeah, genuine question, is there a word limit here? Maybe ill have to split it up into several posts lol!

edit - nevermind found the answer by reading someones amazingly long blog posts, guess im not alone lol
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jakkosh
      But yeah, genuine question, is there a word limit here? Maybe ill have to split it up into several posts lol!
      There is no word limit that I know of, but if your post really is exceptionally long, it might be easier to read if you split it into different "chapters".

I've seen some really long post here before, though, and they were all fine.
    • Jakkosh
      Jakkosh
      Bronze
      Ty harrier as always :D
      Have toned it down a little now anyways.
      Gl at the tables =)