finishing a tournament off

• acerd1975
      acerd1975
      Bronze
      ok so i gained a fair amount of knowledge and am doing fairly well in multi table tournements i just cant finish soon as the bubble hits i bottle and slow fold to the money and when i try to get back in i cant other than by all in luck just yesterday i was in a $2 torney with a $1200 prize pool 70 get paid and im in 1st position with 78 people left slow folded to final 40 still in 2nd at this stage then pulled aa on the button already raised and small blind raised all in so i raised all in and utg 1 called flop 82j (utg1 has kk small blind has kj)turn k river j unlucky i know but now im 28th with 32 left and i do not really know how to play a short stack im a really good front runner normally aggression is all i know . then i lost disipline and pushed all in with 33 as blinds were next lost obviously and finished 27 , my point is this happens a lot ive experimented at not slowing in the bubble in freerolls with mixed success,if i play 1 hand and lose i tend to go all in with stupid cards if i win a hand i generally make final table but paid torneys tend to play differently to freerolls and i just need advice on finishing
  • 4 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Moved to our MTT discussion board :)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by acerd1975
      now im 28th with 32 left and i do not really know how to play a short stack im a really good front runner normally aggression is all i know . then i lost disipline and pushed all in with 33 as blinds were next lost obviously and finished 27 , (...) if i play 1 hand and lose i tend to go all in with stupid cards
      If you really were short stacked, going all-in with 33 etc. is not a stupid move at all.

Are you familiar with the ICM? It's okay to pick your spots when you have a healthy stack, but once you're short stacked, you have no choice but to get aggressive, even with less than stellar hands sometimes.

Also, keep in mind that other shorties are in the same situation, which means that you can put a lot of pressure on them as a bigger stack, since they don't have much time to wait for premium hands.

Aggressive play is vital in MTTs, but you probably know more about this topic than I do if you say that you're a good front runner.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey there =)

First of all I would strongly recommend to resume normal play or even get looser as you are approaching the bubble. Folding in the money isn't a very good option in most cases unless you are already shortstacked. Under all other circumstances you should try to build pressure upon the shorter stacks. A good player will gain chips in bubble situations instead of losing them.

Furthermore you should really work on your mindset if you want to be successful with tournaments. If you tilt after losing a hand, tournaments might not be the best choice for you. A solid mindset is one of the most important key factors for successful tournament players.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      First of all I would strongly recommend to resume normal play or even get looser as you are approaching the bubble. Folding in the money isn't a very good option in most cases unless you are already shortstacked.
      +1

It's better to finish one tournament in 1st place and lose twenty others than to barely make it into the money twenty times and lose none.