I make it rain...(PLO Blog)

• Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hey fellow Pokerstrategists :)

About myself:

My name is Michael, I am from Austria, 24 years old and currently doing the teacher programme at university (English / German). I started out with poker because of a friend who told me about it during a vacation in Croatia and also about PokerStrategy. I took a look, got my first bankroll and blew it in the course of 2 - 3 months or so. I had no idea about the game (just the rules and some other very basic stuff) and just spew it on Fulltilt... Some years later another friend gave me 5$ on Pokerstars and I played it up to 180$, but due to a very serious tilt issues I somehow blew almost all of it again... :f_mad:

I also had another blog and was really dedicated to go for it (playing NLHE), but did not manage to do it because of some issues I had to solve. I was not really sure at that moment what to do with my life and then some other pretty sad things happened... So I almost stopped playing poker to figure out waht I really want in my life. Of course, poker still was (and is) an extremely cool game to me and so I want to continue playing it :f_cool:

Now (finally :f_grin: ) I know what I want to do with my life which makes me really really happy - so I have to start out and get it going :s_grin:

Why PLO:

That friend who introduced me to poker is a very dedicated poker player and makes a living by playing PLO. He is extremely good at it and introduced me to the game. I think it is a fun game and I would really like to be able to play it good :f_biggrin: I really like that little gambling aspect about it :f_p: I sometimes watched him playing at his limits which was extremely interesting for me. He also talked about some hands and explained his thought process and, later on, how he thinks about that game and poker in general :)

Of course, I was not really understanding everything he said as he was mostly 4 tabling zoom and his mind works rahter quick as it seems :f_biggrin: He just told me to give it a try and I fell in love with it :f_love: I mean, NLHE is a very cool game as well, but PLO seems to be a little bit more interesting to me :)

Moreover, he said that he would do some coachings with me from time to time (already had one) and it was really cool. 2 tabling Zoom while he was watching and trying to play my A game is not really easy from time to time because of him watching :f_biggrin: He is a very nice person and often makes some jokes about my playstyle :s_biggrin: , but as we are good friends he knows that I have to laugh too :s_biggrin: So thanks to him that whole PLO journey started (still is at the beginning) :f_grin:

Why starting a blog:

Mainly to track my own progress, reflect upon myself and my self - development and also to hear other opinions. I quit my NLHE blog and thought of reviving it, but as I want to start out with PLO I think it is better to start a new one :) I really dont want to spam the "Your Poker Blog" section, but I think I'd also like to skill my blogging skills.

I am also a great fan of other blogs and a frequent reader of them. Tbh, I never stopped reading the blogs on PS as I think that they are extremely motivating and show what people are able to achieve =) I also hope that the people keep on blogging as they are a really really good read, connect people and some great things can emerge from it, for exmpale a book as the product of teamwork.

Where I am now:

As I am 24 years old I am close to graduating and I really wnat to do this. I think that any kind of certificate is quite good...although the way of how to achieve it is often quite diputable as I am not a big fan of the educational system in Austria...but that's a whole different issue. In fact, I really want to get that degree :f_biggrin: (took quite a while to figure that out :D )

As I have 1 month off of university and do not have to work as I have enough money from my summerjob I have plenty of time to study PLO. I really want to do this and I am motivated as hell, but there are still some problems that go along with that thought I have to work on:

:spade: procrastination
      :club: snowboarding
      :club: going out (party)
      :club: friends who just want to hang out and do nothing all the time

I do not mean that in a rude way or something, but I really think that too much socialization can bore someone as the same things are discussed all the time / doing the same things... :f_frown: So I need to learn to say NO

:spade: some kind of "fear" of success (can I really do this???)

Therefore I am going to reread "The mental game of Poker 1 & 2" to be sure to have a proper mindset. I personally think that the mindset is the most important issue when you want to achieve something and also when you start with something that you really want, in this case it's poker :s_biggrin: Without that it is probably impossible to be successful or, in other words, as successful as you could be. If you are "tiltfree" or quite resistable to tilting a major part of the way is already done. A balanced life, therefore, is also extremely important to achieve ones goals.

As I just started out with PLO there are plenty of things I have to learn about that new game so a proper plan would not be the worst idea I guess.

In terms of poker:

:spade: Playing at Pokerstars (not tracked by PokerStrategy)
      :diamond: BankRoll: 107.83$
      :diamond: VPPs: 208,84
      :diamond: FPPs: 1026,65
      :diamond: ChromeStar
      :diamond: PLO2

The Plan:

:spade: I found a very interesting series called "PLO from Scratch" and I am going to read the whole thing as I have plenty of time to do so
      :spade: Read "Pot - Limit Omaha Poker" by Hwang (also mentioned in part 1 of the article series)
      :spade: Secrets of Short - handed Pot - Limit Omaha
      :spade: play a lot :f_p:
      :spade: posting hands ofc
      :spade: Try to get Silver Status to be able to watch Skodljivec's video series and take notes
      :spade: Try to interact with other PLO players
      :spade: Learning how to use Omaha Manager 2 in detail!
      :spade: Move to PLO5 when it 's time to do so
      :spade: Study PLO 2 hours a day (during February because I have plenty of time)
      :spade: Play 2 hours a day (don't want to set a certain number of hands)
      :spade: Use Equilab Omaha for reviewing certain hands / scenarios
      :spade: BRM of 50 buy ins / limit (probably also grinding out 10 for the next one before making a shot)

:heart: Revise everyting as often as possible as I think that repitition is very important to become better at something :heart:

:club: I do not want to set future goals and say:" In 2015 I want to play at 2/4" as I am not sure about the pace. In fact, I will update future goals when it is time to do so as I cannot really say how it will be and how much time it will cost me to get where I want to be. Only time will tell I guess :)

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/809/ywex.png[/IMG][/img]

These are my results after ~6k hands. I know that I often make silly mistakes and that they are very costy from time to time. Moreover, some hands just make me go nuts so I have to work on that too to reduce my vulnerability to tilting.

Questions / Requests for readers:

:spade: Just tell me / ask me whatever you want (kick my ass if you feel the urge to & when there is a need to do so
      :spade: How can I make Omaha/Hold em Manager 2 showing me the graph for only 1 specific month / day? Just cant figure that out... (just got it)
      :spade: I am still looking for the perfect "drink" while playing poker. I read that pleno1 decided to drink Bacardi Breezer, but that's probably not the right thing for me :f_biggrin: So what drinks do you like while grinding and why???
      :spade: In terms of playing PLO - what is your preferred way -> ZOOM or normal tables and why?
      :spade: Trolling very much appreciated :coolface:
      :spade: Add me on skype / the community tool if you want (open for almost everything :D )

:heart: Thanks for reading =)
  • 53 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Michael,

Nice to see you starting a new blog. :D

The way things are going PLO will take over from NLHE. So many new blogs in the last couple of months regarding PLO. Poor Skod is getting busier by the minute. :D

GL with everything

Laz
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Huah, PLO FTW! :D

To answer one of your questions, i think at the micros zoom and regular tables aren't too different, so it comes down more to your personal preference and not getting overwhelmed by the action.

Very good plan, followed something simmilar when i was starting out (obv without my own videos, which is basically what i was hoping i would get back then).

Obviously plo is a variance filled game, as your friend will probably tell u, so don't get discouraged at the first sign of trouble.

GL!

Regards,

Skod
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      GL!

As far as the best drink - definitely just tons of water (and a lot of jars for urine nearby :f_biggrin: , unless you're grinding on a laptop).

4-card PLO has been gaining action, but the 5-card one doesn't seem the next big thing :f_confused: Also, NLO8 deserves more love, it's more suitable for tourneys than straight PLO, the latter will likely never gain much traction as a tourney variation.

Originally posted by Skodljivec
      Very good plan, followed something simmilar when i was starting out (obv without my own videos, which is basically what i was hoping i would get back then).
      :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_thumbsup:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      @Lazza61

Yeah it really seems so :f_biggrin: - thanks!

@Skod

I decided to play on Zoom tables as regular tables don't last very long at the micros as most people quit after 20 minutes or so :f_mad: Only difference is Plsr/Flop % but this changes quite quickly as well.

Yeah he told me so - just like a rollercoaster :f_biggrin: I don't really get discouraged but I start hating Villain has "Four of a kind" :s_mad:

I am going to aim at silver status to be able to watch your videos - really looking forward to it :f_love: Ofc I want to be able to post hands in the Hands Evaluation Forum as well, so SilverStatus will be the only possible option to get there :D

@tonypmm

Yeah I play on a lap top so it's all good :coolface:
      I heard about that 5-card PLO - you can get rid of one card at the beginning right???

So today was quite nice, but just made one major mistake I guess. I got up from bed, switched on the lap top and immediatelly started grinding :s_mad: Probably not such a good idea as I was not really awake... Not going to do this again - but motivation somehow forced me to grind :f_p:

This is how today's 2 sessions went:

Not quite happy with some hands as I could have played them way better! My thought process during some hands is not really suitable for specific situations I guess :f_p: So have to work on that :)

Moreover, I get some bucks a WI - so I am going to get SilverStatus and grind out some points there (5 Points / 1$ rake)

Now going to study for a bit and reading PLO from Scratch and Hwang's book. I am also planning to revise everything after reading / learning it. Guess I have to make it a habit to do so

:spade: 1st -> read / learn
      :spade: 2nd -> take a break (1 hour or something - have to figure that out how long that should be...)
      :spade: 3re -> Revise everything
      :spade: 4th -> Revise it 2 days later (after learning new stuff)
      :spade: 5th -> Make one day where I don't learn something new, but just revise previously learned stuff

Hands: 1731
      Net Won/Lost: 5,21$
      VPP: 245,81
      FPP: 1063,62
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      It's a bad idea to start grinding immediately, warm up first :f_cool:
      Originally posted by Rains7
      I heard about that 5-card PLO - you can get rid of one card at the beginning right???
      I wish I could make my opponents do so... no, one can use any 2 cards from the 5-card hand, but exactly two as in the 4-card one. Playable ranges and hand categories in them (like AA***) all grow by about 1.5 times :f_eek: , so it's a lot of action... and rake :facepalm: That's why I hate it that the RB% is less than 70% there.
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Timefor a little update :)

Unfortunately I could not play yesterday as I had to go to my autn's and ship snow :f_p: The situation in Austria with all that snow is pretty sick. Just sooo much snow in the last couple of days. Some resorts even had to close down because of the high risk of avalanches :f_mad: (in fact, the risk is at 5 which is as high as it can get...) So had to do quite a lot yesterday and did not come home because of staying at her place!

Just played a little session:

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/191/xx3p.png[/IMG][/img]

Gonna go and read a bit (Hwang and PLO from Scratch)

GL at the table @ll
    • pitabread189
      pitabread189
      Bronze
      GL
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Hi,

iirc Hwang is quite outdated... I think i haven't read more then the first few pages... I think it's better to focus on the other stuff.

Regards,

Skod
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      @pitabread189

thank you :)

@Skod

yeah Hwang 's book was published in 2008 and mainly focuses on Full-Ring play. PLO from scratch just says that people should focus on the pre flop strategies as he explains that quite well imo. He also explains all the straight draws in detail (how many of them are nut SD, percentages against sets & FD and so on).

What exactly do you mean by other stuff??? :) (PLO from scratch???)

Also want to share a song that I am addicted to :f_biggrin: Hope you enjoy it :f_p:

• Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So here is the session of today:

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/163/88b2.png[/IMG][/img]

Only little volume due to toothache :f_cry: Hope I can get an appointment for the dentist tomorrow - hurts really bad...

Also thought of only updating graphs on a weekly basis and not after every session!

Gonna go to bed now and try to get some sleep! Hope it will work cause my tooth hurts really bad :s_evil:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Get well soon! And don't worry - I usually have upswings when my gums hurt :f_grin: Idk why, maybe the pain makes me more focused.
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      Get well soon! And don't worry - I usually have upswings when my gums hurt :f_grin: Idk why, maybe the pain makes me more focused.
      Thanks a lot :) We will see if pain helps me to be more focused :f_biggrin:

Today I did not play a single hand because I felt very tired all day long. Just went through some stuff I've read before. Moreover, I guess that I have to do a bit more studying and a bit less playing. Thought about that and came to the conclusion that next week I will do so and the plan looks like that ->

:spade: go on revising Hwang's book (Starting Hands, Straights, possibilities)
      :spade: go on reading / revising PLO from scratch
      :spade: hopefully gain silver status to be able to watch Skod's videos (maybe upload 10 bucks or so to get silver...)
      :spade: more studying in general (go over some hands - need silver to be able to post them on the forum :f_mad: )

So stupid that I did not sign up on PokerStars through PS...it is my main site! Did sign up years ago and somehow forgot to to it via PS :s_mad: just plain stupidity :s_evil:

Will do 1 1/2 tuition hours (English) tomorrow and then start studying Omaha! Really looking forward to both, poker and teaching English :)
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Have been studying PLO quite a lot and so there is a lack of hands due to learning, but it feels great :) The more you learn the more self - confident you get which also affects your game I guess. I often had troubles with calling (yes or no -> especially on the river...) and now I guess I got better at that :f_biggrin: Also some other things have improved and I am glad about that :)

I've also been doing some tuition hours and that was also a great fun (and some $ came in :D )

The next two days are going to be quite interesting as new a student is going to come tomorrow to do some exercises (English, German and a bit Maths). Guess the level will be a bit higher and it will be a bit more challenging as he is 3 years older than my other student :)

Moreover, I am going to visit my mother as she has recently started to play online poker :f_biggrin: She wants me to show her the basics of NLHE so she can beat her rivals :coolface: really looking forward to that :D

Also found out 2 things that are quite important I guess:

:spade: That you are very very comfortable while grinding. I dont have a real "grinding station" as I always play in my kitchen (no extra room for computer) and there are only the kitchen seats that get very uncomfortable afte a while :s_mad: Have to think of something else or buy an extremely comfortable chair :D

:spade: Reading over longer periods on a lap top are also not really good. I thought about printing out the PLO from scratch articles as I prefer to read stuff on paper. Dont know if people get used to it after a while, but I guess a printed version is much better for me. :)
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So here I am with another update :)

Played a little session with my good old mother and we managed to make almost ~15$ by playing this weird kind off sng. I think it is called twister poker or something (sorry, I do not know that at all).

Moreover, I noticed that I have a serious lack of volume, but I am not really worried about that at that time. I am just concentrating on learning that game and not on putting in volume(might change during WE). Moreover, I guess that learning is more important at my stage and not putting in volume (although 20 - 30k hands at the end of month would be nice :f_love: - we wll see) would (or would not - you choose :) ) be sufficient!

Ofc, I am going to put in a lot more volume in as soon I've finsished all the articels. I do not want to know them by little, but know them by heart. I printed them and I am going to study all of them to be able to achieve a certain winrate :) Ofc, I am not able to achieve a winrate of 50bb/100 or someting (tbh I think that is not possible, even at the micros over a larger amount of hands, but proove me wrong :D ). But proof me wrong :)

I just hope to get a better player at some point :)

PS: gonna deposit 10€ at the end of the month to be able to see all of Skod's videos :f_love: I am really looking forward to the way he playes (recorded vidz and strategy vids -> gonna watch al of them :) )
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So I thought it is time to come up with an update :)

I've been studying the game and I think that I am quite good at choosing the starting hands, but have some problems postflop. Ofc I will work on that a lot and try to look at more evaluated hands in the forum. Moreover, I ran into some coolers and made some incorrect folds that cost me quite a bit of money :f_cry:

The coming week will be quite interesting as I am going to Vienna to visit my girlfriend and meet a friend of mine who is a very good PLO player. I am going to do some coachings together with him and hope that it will push my skills :)

As OM2 does not really shows all the hands of that week (dont know why :( ) I am going to show you my monthly graph:

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/208/zjd5.png[/IMG][/img]

So as you can see my winrate is pretty low but I am not really worried about that atm. Hope that it will get better with the time :D
    • aent4x
      aent4x
      Bronze
      Hi Rains7,

First of all Good Luck with your "plan"!!!
      I am reading your blog,
      and i would like to tell you,that as Skod said Hwang's book is a little outdated,I have read the hole book.
      Also the pre-flop part -chapter 4- is exactly the same and maybe better into the
      "PLO from the scratch" e-book. I finished before some days this e-book and i think you should read this book,it's amazing in my opinion I also saw the "PLO school" by Skodljivec, great series! I think a mix of this 2 will be a great place to start with.
      I would like to tell me your opinion about zoom tables,
      I play both zoom and normal, but i think normal tables are softer.
      I also send my skype name in pm via communitt.
      Again good luck with your plan.
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hey aent4x :)

First of all, thank you :f_biggrin: I printed out the whole series - up until chapter 12 (without appendix of chapter 3...). Also really looking forward to Skod's series - just gonna deposit 10€ and get the status because I cant play PLO on WH and NLHE is just too boring :f_p: Ofc, I am going to grind a bit and see if I could get a little roll on WH...

Gonna add you on skype and we can talk about Zoom / normal tables if you like :f_grin:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Spent the last 10 hours with PLO I think and I am really tired now. It was a mixture of studying and playing and it went really well...

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/62/ntff.png[/IMG][/img]

Dont really know if it is a good sign to be that much above EV, but I won almost every drawing hand after losing a lot in the past. Still quite over EV - but I guess it's going to turn around :D

Here is one hand:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $1.48 (74 bb)
      SB: $2.26 (113 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.31 (265.5 bb)
      UTG: $4.56 (228 bb)
      MP: $4.99 (249.5 bb)
      CO: $2.24 (112 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A K 9
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.07, BTN calls $0.07, SB calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.18, BTN calls $0.18, SB calls $0.18

Flop: ($1) 8 5 A (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $0.97, SB calls $0.97, Hero raises to $4.85, CO folds, BTN calls $0.26 and is all-in, SB calls $1.04 and is all-in

Turn: ($6.25) 4 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($6.25) 3 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $6.25 pot ($0.21 rake)
      Final Board: 8 5 A 4 3
      BTN mucked 6 K 5 6 and lost (-$1.48 net)
      SB showed 9 8 7 2 and lost (-$2.26 net)
      Hero showed A A K 9 and won $6.04 ($3.78 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.25 net)

Love it when something like this actually work out as planned :f_love:

If it goes on like this I will soon have the roll for PLO5, but I really hope that the poker gods wont punish me when for being so much above EV when I make a stab at the new limit :f_p:

Gonna go to sleep now I guess :f_biggrin:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Finally I returned home :)

I visited my girlfriend in Vienna and we had a really good time. Bad thing was that she did not have an internet connection in her new flat, so I was not able to grind :f_cry: however, I had more time for her :f_biggrin: I have also been studying PLO, but not very seriously as I did not have that much time for poker...

Moreover, I visited a friend who is a PLO player too - a very good one! I had two sessions with him and he taught me a lot about how to think about the game in general and explained how to play some hands that occured during our sessions. It was really cool to see him again and to have coaching sessions with him :s_cool:

I can now grind everyday and I am motivated as hell :s_biggrin: Hope to play a ton of hands from next week on as I have two appointmens (one today, another one tomorrow).

Probably gonna play a little session today as I cant wait to hit the tables again :f_love:

Gonna keep you updated about how it's going!!! :f_biggrin: