Poker study

• SupaBalls
      SupaBalls
      Bronze
      Hi my name is darius and i am really trying to study poker, I have been pretty good at my sngs in the micro levels but keep getting silly hands mid game like QT hit my ten on the flop from big blind, i dont put the other guy on the ten so i call his push after i raise and he shows me pocket jacks.

Another crazy hand was a guy raised small so i called with JT suited, flop was JJ3 guy raised and i slow played and just called , turn was a king the other guy raised so i pushed and he called showing KK fullhouse. ouch.

Well moving on i am learning but would like some advice on how to study , i really want to up my game with more consistency.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Darius
  • 3 replies
    • pauln
      pauln
      Bronze
      Both those hands [B]could[/b] be heaters where there is virtually nothing you can do to get away from the hand. You may be playing them wrong of course.

I think an important question to ask yourself when facing a raise is; what worse hand would he be doing this with? (particularly on the river in micros).

You may also be getting yourself into tough situations by playing marginal hands. QT and JT can be perfectly reasonable hands to play in the mid stages of a SNG but only if you have a good reason for it (isolating a very bad player, stealing etc.)

My default response to questions on learning SNGs is: read Collin Moshman -Sit 'N Go Strategy, watch a set of videos (I can link you the names privately). Read the pokerstrategy articles, watch the pokerstrategy weekly live coaching sessions (there's one tonight) and join a study group.

I've added you on the friend tool on here. I'm more than happy to look over some games you've played and attempt to identify what you could be doing differently.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Look mate, there is a full path of learning designed for beginners and plus#
      you may considerate to start from there; it is easy to follow and its well scheduled and organized. Take a minute to have a look I believe it will fill up your request in full! HERE
      Obv, do not forgot the analysis hand section on our forum
      All the best and GL to the table :)
    • SupaBalls
      SupaBalls
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, ive studied a few of colins videos and watched some of his coaching on wednesdays as it gives a very constructive veiw of how people play, i have played better since but just get into slumps where the old bad calls like calling 120 with 22 in the 10/20 round and silly bad habits creep in. also sometimes i tighten up and by mid game im down to 950 being abit card dead then raise with KQ QJ suited only to get reriased and either fold my 200 in the pot or call to miss the flop and get another raise , chase a straight/flush draw and lose. Im still going to improve just not much good at the study but it will come in time.

I belive im on about 600+ since january and im up about $200, occasionally drop $30 and then win $40 more so fun part of swings.

Thanks again guys