seems razz is quite interesting

    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.12.2008 Posts: 1,675
      yesterday I read the strategy on pokerstrategy.com and today I play razz for the first time, and won 80 small bet in 1 and a half hour.

      Seems a soft game to play on at least on low stake level , wow I feel like god by winning 80 small bet in 1.5 hours in my first session on razz

      two days ago I tried nl single draw and nl 5cd games and lost some money , those games are seems to be very wild

      This month is the learning new game month I will try to learn all the poker games on online poker site ,the goal is beating the lowest level in each game :s_biggrin:
  • 15 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.05.2012 Posts: 1,971
      Do you plan to play mixed games like HORSE as well, eventually? Those games always seemed interesting to me.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2009 Posts: 4,086
      Then there is 7-card Stud. It is considered by some as the most difficult of all FL games. At the technical level, it definitely is just that. Razz is comparatively simpler - and much more "mathematical" in nature, just play by odds and outs. (Not that it is easy, you must remember all dead cards, especially the small ones.) But 7-card Stud has another dimension. 7-card Stud Eight or Better is more of a mechanical game.

      Get hold of the old classics on the subjects (2+2 publications), then practice a little playing Stars freerolls (nothing to be ashamed of). You will be ready to go. There is action to be found in mixed games all the way up to $2000/$4000 (especially at Full Tilt). It will be much much more when the Americans are back in business.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,915
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Then there is 7-card Stud. It is considered by some as the most difficult of all FL games. At the technical level, it definitely is just that. Razz is comparatively simpler - and much more "mathematical" in nature, just play by odds and outs. (Not that it is easy, you must remember all dead cards, especially the small ones.) But 7-card Stud has another dimension. 7-card Stud Eight or Better is more of a mechanical game.

      Get hold of the old classics on the subjects (2+2 publications), then practice a little playing Stars freerolls (nothing to be ashamed of). You will be ready to go. There is action to be found in mixed games all the way up to $2000/$4000 (especially at Full Tilt). It will be much much more when the Americans are back in business.
      I agree with everything, so it must be right:)

      I really like the freerolls on PokerStars, but be aware that you likely won't face anyone who knows what they're doing until about half the field has been eliminated.

      The big difference is the 5-Card Draw game, where the cash games are FL or PL but the freeroll is NL.

      When everyone is "specializing" in NLHE and PLO, there is a lot of room in the "other" games to be ahead of the field..

      Except for 7-Card Stud :(

      Enjoy the games!
      --VS
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2009 Posts: 4,086
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Then there is 7-card Stud. It is considered by some as the most difficult of all FL games. At the technical level, it definitely is just that. Razz is comparatively simpler - and much more "mathematical" in nature, just play by odds and outs. (Not that it is easy, you must remember all dead cards, especially the small ones.) But 7-card Stud has another dimension. 7-card Stud Eight or Better is more of a mechanical game.

      Get hold of the old classics on the subjects (2+2 publications), then practice a little playing Stars freerolls (nothing to be ashamed of). You will be ready to go. There is action to be found in mixed games all the way up to $2000/$4000 (especially at Full Tilt). It will be much much more when the Americans are back in business.
      I agree with everything, so it must be right:)

      I really like the freerolls on PokerStars, but be aware that you likely won't face anyone who knows what they're doing until about half the field has been eliminated.

      The big difference is the 5-Card Draw game, where the cash games are FL or PL but the freeroll is NL.

      When everyone is "specializing" in NLHE and PLO, there is a lot of room in the "other" games to be ahead of the field..

      Except for 7-Card Stud :(

      Enjoy the games!
      --VS
      And I agree with your reply completely!

      About the freerolls: About 40% of the field register only to sit out. Then there are 10 to 20% that participate only to ruin the game by capping every street regardless of holding. After a couple of hours, when these guys are out, it is actually real poker, of varying quality of course.

      Nonetheless, after playing a couple of these to learn the mechanics, one is definitely ready to hit the lowest few cash game levels. Just did that myself some time ago in 2-7 triple draw. I also read Negreanu's chapter in Super System II, which is damned good. Definitely enough preparation (provided you absorb the stuff and practice a couple of freerolls) to beat $0.10&$0.20 :]
    • davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.12.2008 Posts: 1,675
      lol have not tried the stud or stud8 yet , and I have to learn plo and plo8 before I can playing 8 mix or horse , I remembered there was 10mix game on ps, but I can't find it now , and I remember there was 2-7 draw- badugi- 5cd mix tournament on ps , and I cant find it now , is it because too few people playing it? :s_biggrin:

      by playing the new version of poker, I find my lost passion on poker. now holdem just a grinding game just like a job to me
    • SonOfSonOfSpock
      SonOfSonOfSpock
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.10.2011 Posts: 78
      Don't play Stud, Chinese problem with the Changle gang. If you are trying to learn a poker game, try Pot Limit Omaha is the next poker generation.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2009 Posts: 4,086
      Originally posted by SonOfSonOfSpock
      Don't play Stud, Chinese problem with the Changle gang. If you are trying to learn a poker game, try Pot Limit Omaha is the next poker generation.
      I'd rather play craps. Less variance :D
    • SonOfSonOfSpock
      SonOfSonOfSpock
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.10.2011 Posts: 78
      I'd rather play craps. Less variance :D
      PLO is profitable but is hard to have consistent winnings and many downswings, but like Mike Caro's said:

      «The game of 7 Card Stud is the most profitable is well played.»
      And I think the same thing about PLO.

      I can't play Omaha, I like H.O.R.S.E. but when it comes to Omaha Hi/Lo I just don't play. I'm a Seven Card Stud player, I think that is the real true poker game, I can't say that I'm a consistent winner but I'm learning and I will keep learning...
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,245
      Originally posted by SonOfSonOfSpock
      I'd rather play craps. Less variance :D
      PLO is profitable but is hard to have consistent winnings and many downswings, but like Mike Caro's said:

      «The game of 7 Card Stud is the most profitable is well played.»
      And I think the same thing about PLO.

      I can't play Omaha, I like H.O.R.S.E. but when it comes to Omaha Hi/Lo I just don't play. I'm a Seven Card Stud player, I think that is the real true poker game, I can't say that I'm a consistent winner but I'm learning and I will keep learning...
      Fabulous game. Love it. :f_love:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,915
      I won a ticket in a Razz freeroll today.

      The upside of boredom is a ticket to a weekly round 2 freeroll :)

      Stud is a great game for bluffers -- especially if you can get everyone to THINK you're bluffing without having to actually do it.

      --VS
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,245
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I won a ticket in a Razz freeroll today.

      The upside of boredom is a ticket to a weekly round 2 freeroll :)

      Stud is a great game for bluffers -- especially if you can get everyone to THINK you're bluffing without having to actually do it.

      --VS
      Nice one VS. I earned quite a few tickets playing Kepler's and Eddington's Stud Hi/Lo.

      Have you played the Triple Stud in the Weekly Round 2. I finished 90th out of 6.5k. Only got $2 and it took 7 hours but I loved it.
    • SonOfSonOfSpock
      SonOfSonOfSpock
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.10.2011 Posts: 78
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I won a ticket in a Razz freeroll today.

      The upside of boredom is a ticket to a weekly round 2 freeroll :)

      Stud is a great game for bluffers -- especially if you can get everyone to THINK you're bluffing without having to actually do it.

      --VS
      I don't really agree.

      At a beginner level is hard to bluff, because many players follow with low straight/flush draws and with trash hands hoping to make trips and they just call no matter what.

      In my opining, in Hold'em is much easier to bluff. If you watch a session of a good regular stud player you will see him bluff catching with just a low pair hidden and the opponent with high cards showing, and in the last street the pot is to big to fold so they call and win the pot with a low pair.

      Seven Card Stud is a game of patience, you need to wait for good starting hands and they are harder to get.


      This video of the World Series of Poker of 2004 shows what I'm talking. Watch the hand on 6:15



      especially if you can get everyone to THINK you're bluffing without having to actually do it.
      That just work playing Heads-up, normally when you are disputing with 3-4 players in the pot, just a maniac with a infinite bankroll bluffs all the way down.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,915
      Originally posted by SonOfSonOfSpock
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I won a ticket in a Razz freeroll today.

      Stud is a great game for bluffers -- especially if you can get everyone to THINK you're bluffing without having to actually do it.

      --VS
      I don't really agree.

      At a beginner level is hard to bluff, because many players follow with low straight/flush draws and with trash hands hoping to make trips and they just call no matter what.

      Seven Card Stud is a game of patience, you need to wait for good starting hands and they are harder to get.

      Thanks SonOfSonOfSpock for setting me straight.

      I'm not really sure what makes a good starting stud hand, tbh.
      I only go for FDs if I have 3 suited to start.

      In Hi/Lo I like really smooth lows that can turn into straights, and after that I try to keep as many players in the pot as I can

      Other than that, I just play totally hidden pairs, or paired doors.

      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Have you played the Triple Stud in the Weekly Round 2. I finished 90th out of 6.5k. Only got $2 and it took 7 hours but I loved it.
      I haven't seen one, really -- most Sundays I'm busy in the mornings, and the ones I'm not, it always seems to be Badugi -- which I'm going to try this Sunday.

      Cheers,
      --VS
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Joined: 29.03.2010 Posts: 555
      OP razz is the devils game. im not joking. playing too often is severely bad for your mental health. there is something so uniquely frustrating about it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,915
      Fold early, fold often, press your advantage to the max when you get one.

      I don't know how that strategy works if you're up against good players, but it works well in the freerolls.

      --VS