bassoliniRNMD

• bassoliniRNMD
      bassoliniRNMD
      Bronze
      Hey everyone

my name is Bastian and I'm from Germany. I am playing poker as a hobbie and look forward to learn more and more about this game. :)
      For now, i got plenty of time and would like to go deeper in understanding.

To begin, here the first homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Of course i would like 
 to play poker as profitable as i can. I ike mathematics and tactic as i played chess for many years.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Actually i don't really 
 know. In the last week I lost 4 All-in moves with KK against AA, which was pretty disappointing, maybe i should not push all in with that preflop for example.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means playing a few good hands like JJ+ or AJ+. Because this a not many hands, a tight aggressive player wants to be initiative and play them aggressive
  • 7 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Bastian

Welcome to the beginners' course and great first post! Looks like you've been a lurker for quite some time. I trust that you'll enjoy the course and I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future. Bogdan our course coach will be by in the coming days to check your homework.

All the best,
      Luke
    • bassoliniRNMD
      bassoliniRNMD
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

The starting hand chart appears to me as a useful tool and for the beginning i think the less you derive from it the better it is.
      Anyway i actually play sometimes different depending on factors the table does not take into account:

playing styles of the opponents: If the table is super tight i may steal from CO/BTN with nearly any two cards. If the table is super-aggressive, i could just call with AA in an early position and raise later over the top.

Readability: If i would stick to the strating hand table maybe an hour with the same opponents, they would get used to me. I noticed for example if a raise comes on the board and i call, the other player would know that i'm on a pocket pair lower QQ+ which would be a big advantage for my opponent. So i have to vary a little bit to create a wider range my opponent puts me on.

Another example is when there are a lot of limps in front of me, i tend to also call with connectors looking for a monster as i think the implied odds are good.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

http://de.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=1575056

No replies by now :(

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.  ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

equity=46.32%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Bastian,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first two homeworks.

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hands:

AA: Why do you bet so small on the turn? That bet looks weak/scared so a lot of people can bluff you there. I recommend betting for pure value larger.

KK: Same thing as with the AA. You bet scared/weak on the turn so people can bluff you there. You can bet/fold larger and still get value.
    • bassoliniRNMD
      bassoliniRNMD
      Bronze
      Hey Bogdan, thanks for help.

Here is the next homework, hope you like it.

Question 1:

Preflop my KsQs has an 50.60% equity against 33%.
      For the given Flop my second nut flush draw against a set is down to 26.46% equity

Question 2:

On first sight i would call. However i analized the situation a gave him a hand range of: JJ-22, 65s, 65o, 8d7d, 8c7c
      QQ+ would have raised me at preflop
      Another two pair combination(25,35) doesnt look reasonable to me because of the call at preflop.
      Another two club cards than 8c7c i think would not raise me on turn - especially because i got the Ac and so villian can't have a club nut flush draw.
      At the given range we have 23.45% equity
      eqity needed is 19.5% (1.13/0.22)
      Besides that he seems to have a good hand and we could count some implied odds.

My final decision would be a close call!

Question 3:

NL2 Flush draw
    • bassoliniRNMD
      bassoliniRNMD
      Bronze
      And I'm moving on :)

Lesson 4:

Question 1:
      NL2 Initiative

Question 2:
      rush, nl25 - hand planning

Hope i could help with my beginner skills :)

Question 3:

Equity is 41.41%
      I'm amazed how well overcards play against low pairs
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job so far Bastian !!!

Re: KK

I think that you can 3-bet your hand larger preflop (being OOP) so at least add 1-2 BB.

As played I don't think we can fold the flop and I would prefer a 3-bet rather than just a call. Rest looks fine.

Keep up the good work.

Bogdan