6max or FR

• acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Should I ever specialize in one of these formats?

Why do people play 6max over FR? and vice versa?

I am just curious because I have been thinking of playing an assortment of both (cash game)
  • 13 replies
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      FR till nl25, 6-max for nl25+ Thats my opinion
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by martinstids
      FR till nl25, 6-max for nl25+ Thats my opinion
      Any reasons for this?
    • la55i
      la55i
      FR is too slow for me. My playing style is a bit laggish and 6max suits me well. Try both and see which you like better. :)
    • Megacorpse
      Megacorpse
      Bronze
      6max, fr is boring and is dying out.
    • Jefree
      Jefree
      Gold
      I played both fr and sh.
      Right now I'm playing only sh.

Imo fr is good beatable till nl25.
      From nl50 there a lot, a lot of regulars.
      Players who are grinding for a certain vip level (supernova).
      For me hard to beat.

sh nl50 has more weak players than fr nl50, my impression.
      but although you can reach a higher winrate it is more swingy.
      15 buyins down, tilt, normal.... :P

acephalia, i wouldn't recommend play a mix of fr and sh.
      look what fits you best and specialize.
      focus is the key for success ;)
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jefree
      I played both fr and sh.
      Right now I'm playing only sh.

Imo fr is good beatable till nl25.
      From nl50 there a lot, a lot of regulars.
      Players who are grinding for a certain vip level (supernova).
      For me hard to beat.

sh nl50 has more weak players than fr nl50, my impression.
      but although you can reach a higher winrate it is more swingy.
      15 buyins down, tilt, normal.... :P

acephalia, i wouldn't recommend play a mix of fr and sh.
      look what fits you best and specialize.
      focus is the key for success ;)
      Ok, thank you very much, I appreciate the input.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      start out on fr, keep playing and when you feel like you aren't going anywhere play a session on SH, love the action, learn more about it, become a lagtard, skip some limits and crush nl2k. on a srs note, fr will be nice to start out on and get to grips with the very basics but when you move to SH you will be forced to learn SO much more about the game. experiment and see how you feel. i cannot stand fr anymore, but at first i was a little reluctant to move to SH because i thought "play fr until nl25". biggest mistake i ever made was not moving to SH sooner!
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      start out on fr, keep playing and when you feel like you aren't going anywhere play a session on SH, love the action, learn more about it, become a lagtard, skip some limits and crush nl2k. on a srs note, fr will be nice to start out on and get to grips with the very basics but when you move to SH you will be forced to learn SO much more about the game. experiment and see how you feel. i cannot stand fr anymore, but at first i was a little reluctant to move to SH because i thought "play fr until nl25". biggest mistake i ever made was not moving to SH sooner!
      I would move to SH, but my basics are still very basic lol.... I have a lot of reading/studying to do.

edit: again, i appreciate the advice, it really helps. I will move to SH once i hone my skills.
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by acephalia
      I would move to SH, but my basics are still very basic lol.... I have a lot of reading/studying to do.

edit: again, i appreciate the advice, it really helps. I will move to SH once i hone my skills.
      If you use brm, don't spew too much and think about your game, you can move immediately to 6 max if you're willing to play low enough. Nl2 zoom 6max is easily beatable for players just starting out and playing a straightforward game
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Riverdiver

If you use brm, don't spew too much and think about your game, you can move immediately to 6 max if you're willing to play low enough. Nl2 zoom 6max is easily beatable for players just starting out and playing a straightforward game
      I was thinking of going to zoom, but i also heard that you should beat regular before you beat zoom/rush.... what are your thoughts on this? i enjoy zoom poker more then regular, but am currently playing regular because i want to improve more
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Riverdiver

I was thinking of going to zoom, but i also heard that you should beat regular before you beat zoom/rush.... what are your thoughts on this? i enjoy zoom poker more then regular, but am currently playing regular because i want to improve more
      this is bs imo. play what you enjoy. zoom might attract more regs simply because of the volume advantage, so if anything zoom will improve your game more if you are playing in a relatively tougher pool. the fact that you can't sit to some fish's left all the time is also an advantage imo because you learn to deal with a wider variety of situations. eventually you will encounter the same players and you can take notes and colour code and everything, just like in regular tables so i don't buy the whole "you can't build reads in zoom" argument for improving your game. of course the dynamic is different and of course sitting at some regular tables and practicing note taking/read building is necessary, but it's not like you can't do that with zoom. the main advantage with zoom is volume - the more volume you put in, the more experience you gain; the more experience you gain, the more your game will improve. snap move to zoom 6max :D

don't get caught up with setting rules for yourself like "play fr until nl25", they are just unnecessary restrictions. variety is the spice of life - experiment with the games until you find something you enjoy and grind it. its important to enjoy what you're doing and not just to grind aimlessly because of some pointless rule.
    • acephalia
      acephalia
      Bronze
      Thanks DrDunne. I appreciate the advice:] I will find out what I enjoy the most and come back to let you guys know :]
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thank you for that post DrDunne :)