Priced in Pots

• vaulsc
      vaulsc
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

Lately I have been on a lot of low stakes, fishy tables, where I encounter the following situation. I'm close to last (or second to last) to act, perhaps in the small blind pre-flop. Maybe I have a marginal hand like T9o, or KJo, or A7s.

The action proceeds in such a way that every other player limps in, so given the pot odds when it gets around to me, it seems worth looking at the flop by also limping, even though I am the kind of player that might not play a marginal hand 9-handed. If you think the above hands aren't marginal, just replace the examples with hands that you believe are marginal.

However, the last person to act, say - the big blind, decides to min-raise at this point. It sounds strange but I have encountered this so often at certain tables. Then, every other player in the hand calls. Only... when it comes around to someone who is to act 1 or 2 hands ahead of me, there is a new min-raise. Now the pot odds are still very good, and I could flop a hand that wins a large amount of money, but i'm not sure what the original min-raiser will do.

Let's say I call. Now the original min-raiser, min-raises again. Everyone calls. The pot is building out of control. How do you proceed from here? If you knew the table would be like this, would you sit down at it? Would you enter the pot with anything but an excellent drawing hand? Would you wait for a non-familypot situation?
  • 10 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      If the pot odds are right then its always gonna be +EV to make the call, no matter how absurd the situation is.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by metza
      If the pot odds are right then its always gonna be +EV to make the call, no matter how absurd the situation is.
      Exactly. ^^^
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Thanks metza :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      This.

Also take one of those hands and calculate the % you need to win the pot post flop. It's going to be so small that even those marginal hands are just going to make you money. Of course you know this, and so did I but once I did the math it struck me how little I have to be good. This gave me a better feeling calling in those spots, knowing I can just x/f a bunch and still be +EV.
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      but doesnt limping get you in trouble more often than not? So far im trying to stay away from it as much as possible, but after reading some explanations i might also try to join some limping feasts from time to time too :)

Last big pot i lost because someone limped on my bb i had J6o on J66 board, and lost with 6 high fh vs J high FH, the other guy actually limped his jacks.

Now i want to know is that just a newbie thing, or are there some people that limp some premium hands even at higher levels, to trap you and if yes how often does that actually happen? Maybe i should just disregard it because it doesnt happen to often to be worth thinking about it all the time ?(
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      still would like to hear some of you guys opinion on limping, and how often do you actually do it?

cheers and thx in advance
      mumu
    • Happa2
      Happa2
      Gold
      @OP: if they keep minraising and you think they won't stop you should get Out of The Hand When you think that it is The right time.

Because you dont want to get prized in in a 300bb Pot with T9o
    • BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Happa2
      Why? On 678o board with T9 I'm ready to put my mother's life in it.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      this is EXACTLY what you want. t9 always wins. i wouldn't slowplay it pre myself but whatever gets the money in is fine i guess.
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BLOWMEBABE
      Why? On 678o board with T9 I'm ready to put my mother's life in it.
      :tongue:

yea i guess limping does work if you dont get carried away and shove with a pair of 9's with T kicker though :f_grin: