[b]How strong computer[/b]?

• slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Hello all!

I decided is time that new computer takes my old computer place.
      Configuration of old one is:
      AMD Athlon 2500+ 1,83GHz, 512MB of RAM, graphic card ATI PRO 9600 128MB
      which is not enough to play normally more than 1 hour 8 tables at everest poker(for those who cleared bonus there and know how slow there is) or more than 80min. 16 tables at Titan WITHOUT ANY HUD ON!

So obviously this oldtimer is not sufficient for my improvements in poker since i think is time i start using damn stats! Is just hard to play without them especially knowing how much information you can actually have lol :D

So i was thinking already myself that probably even if i buy the worse new computer available in shops should be more than enough for easily playing 16tables with HUD anywhere right?

I mean is 4 years i think since i bought my current computer :D

Anyway i should probably only buy lots of RAM and good processor, graphic card is not so important or you think it is?

If you have nay good suggestions you are more than welcome ;)
  • 14 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      yesterday I bought a new £300 laptop with a dual core processer and 15.4 inch screen. Well anyway I managed to play 6 tables with msn messenger on in the background. Just thought I'd let u know!
    • Voetsel
      Voetsel
      Bronze
      RAM alone isn't going to do anything good for you if you don't have the processor to process it all. You really can't save any money on either. Graphics card obviously won't be as important, if the PC will only be used for poker/internet.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Upgrading won't help you, because 4+ years old motherboard will not be compatible with new processors -> go for new PC!

You still can use HDD, case + power suply, graphic card and other cards (if any), so you need to buy only MB + CPU + RAM... I use Phenom 9850 (quad-core) + 4GB DDRAM2 (DDRAM3 is a bit overpriced and not neccessary) and it's more than enough - i can run 12 tables + PT3 with HUD + Elephant HH import + play some DVD on second monitor (if my gf wants to watch) ;) without any problem (CPU is not used anywhere near to 100%)

As was mentioned: it doesn't matter what graphic card you use, if you won't need more than 2 monitors..

btw: and use XP64 not Vista - this decision will add +20% perfomance :P

edit: there're 2 virtual machines (1st is XP64 too and 2nd is Ubuntu) running too and it's still stable 24/7
    • bero98
      bero98
      Bronze
      Aim for the computers with intel Core2Duo processors and at least 4gb of ram, graphic card isnt important, but i preffer AMD-ATI cards becouse they have ''prettyer'' picture than nvidia.

The best solution would be to buy custom components and pay someone some small money to put it all together if you dont know how.

Originally posted by opal99
      Upgrading won't help you, because 4+ years old motherboard will not be compatible with new processors -> go for new PC!
      true

You still can use HDD, case + power suply, graphic card and other cards (if any), so you need to buy only MB + CPU + RAM...
      You cant use either of these (except maybe HDD and/or ''other cards'') becouse:
      1. Power supply probably isnt efficiant enough for the new PC
      2. Graphic card is for AGP slot, you need one that will fit in PCI-e slot

true, but normal xp will be enough, no need for xp64
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      don't. XP64 sucks monkeyballs, it's incompatible with tons of programs and doesn't actually help performance. So stick to XP for poker/games (and linux for everything else)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      don't. XP64 sucks monkeyballs, it's incompatible with tons of programs and doesn't actually help performance. So stick to XP for poker/games (and linux for everything else)
      maybe it sucks but it's still 20% faster than Vista :P And 32bit XP won't recognize bigger RAM, so it's not soo great too.. go for Linux a use virtual machine with XP64 for poker then :)
    • awkorama
      awkorama
      Bronze
      i use linux with tinyXP installed in virtualbox - having linux desktop on notebook monitor (1280x800) and tinyxp on my 1600x1200 monitor, running pokertracker + 4 tables on titan without problem
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i have scientific calculator casio from 1999 with 1mhz procesor and fully animated cristalick black-white display .. it can remeber number of 100 digits and 3 step back memory... powering by one AAA batery cost of 0.25$ bought in grosery.... also runing PT3,ICM Trainer,SNG wizard at same time at my paper powered by pencil.... my pencil weight of 3grams and is singed by Daniel Negranou so it is skill itself... my ROI of any limits is 30%

god boys ...last think that improve your game is computer ... i think one can of redbul cost 0.50$ boost your skill more than buying new computer ... u only need some procesor of max 2000mhz 1gb ram is nice and if u are fultime poker player buy second monitor or just conect your computer to home LCD tv 30inch ... :rolleyes:

if you cant buy new computer from 2-4 weeks winnings it is just waste of money and your learning time to buying new computer to boost you poker skills

but im thinking of buying new one coz :heart: FALLOUT 3 :heart: RULEZ ;) ;)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by miskokvo
      god boys ...last think that improve your game is computer ... i think one can of redbul cost 0.50$ boost your skill more than buying new computer
      I want redbull for $0.5!!!!! (as many cans as possible) ;)
      btw: 2 cups of pure green tea boost your skill more than redbull..

u only need some procesor of max 2000mhz 1gb ram is nice
      yes, it's enough to play, but going on tilt because of laggy PC is definetely -EV.. I know what I'm talking about and i'm not alone.

if u are fultime poker player buy second monitor or just conect your computer to home LCD tv 30inch ... :rolleyes:
      i'm not living alone, so there's someone who would kick my ass if I take TV every evening ;) And I don't have LCD TV :/

if you cant buy new computer from 2-4 weeks winnings it is just waste of money and your learning time to buying new computer to boost you poker skills
      I agree with this thing but you should think about what you miss: LEt's say I play SSS up to 6 tables instead of 12 (cuz my PC doesn't allow me). I miss a lot of value not just in direct cash but in promotions too (VIP lvl, rakeback, special bonuses), so it's more complicated..
      btw: i spent my 5 weeks earnings 4 months ago and I believe it was +EV

but im thinking of buying new one coz :heart: FALLOUT 3 :heart: RULEZ ;) ;)
      FALLOUT 2 was better :tongue:

Dont blame me ;)
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      My laptop is 2.1ghz, 4gb, 250gb, 8400M. Runs 4 tables + elephant without problems, never tested with more tables because it's less profitable for me :) My personal computer is same stats just 3ghz and 9600GT, but I don't play poker on it, because I can't take it with me and play everywhere I go travelling, so I am lazy to tranfer info(hands etc) everytime I come back home.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i just want to make funny post :D

hehe to opal :D u can buy 1l of V12 cost in hypernova 1$ (it has same ingredience as redbul)
      i like to drink tea coz brother is big fan of good tea (zberatel :)

2. if sombody has more lagged pc than me im jesus krist :D always must restart PT3 after sesion coz i played 2k of sng on FT and my database crashing everithing (1,6ghz 368ddr 60hd Radeon Expres M200 notbook) - dont blame me it was present so it was free :D :D (i have nice turbo machine desktop but i just love play poker in my bad with notbook)

3. yes u playing 3/6$ but guys who play nl25 or nl50? hm i dont saying it is not good to buy one .....but id like to buy it for games mostly :D

Fallout 1-2 was one of best games i ever played ..they took me more than 6 month of my life more than 10h playing a day when brother was out :D

5. i dont blame u :D it was night and i want to be funny :D
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      4gb ram / raid hdd/ dual core or quadro procesor(intel would b best)/ 550W power supply/about video card it's like w/e ;d = ~800$ atleast for now this would b a best choise in my opinion ( price/quality ratio)
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      where is time that my P120 hz 8mb ram and 2-4mb graphic card was best computer that u can buy with 2000$ ... i was boss in the town :D :tongue:
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Thx. for advices :D I am going to spend around 500-600€ for computer and additional ~250€ for nice screen.

I mean playing with lags is just crap as some of you agreed :D

I also agree comptuer himself can not improve my game but i need damn HUD working which i think should improve my game for at least 10% ;) Also is not bad to play some good game now and than ;)