2014 Hu Challenge.

• Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      2014 HU CHALLENGE

As you have probably heard from other players, you learn HU by playing. Its a win/win situation - either you beat the other guy or he beats you and you learn. This is what this challenge is about.

I want to play other regulars from pokerstrategy and learn HU. The only rule is that we both record a video of the game and send it to each other after the match. This in my opinion will be a great learning opportunity for both players.

I will update this thread with my aggregate results and interesting hands. Hope to play all of you in 2014! :evil:

Format: HU NL100, 1-2 tables
      Duration of Match: ~ 1 hour per match.
      Room: Microgaming or Ipoker.

Players Played
      mummionu

Total Hands Played
  • 12 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Itsnevereasy,

What a brilliant idea for a challenge? :] It's a little bit out of my league atm but who knows what may happen in the future. :coolface:

Definitely following

Laz
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      That's indeed very interesting.
      Too bad it's HU Cash, I play HU Sngs
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I don't think the stake should be set up that rigidly. You've already got the motivation (want to learn), all you need is to ensure that your opponent will play in their full force, which they can do at the lower end of their normal stake range too, without the risk of losing a lot of money to you (definitely not a bum). This way, they won't be too scared and will be able to show the A-game, and the learning will go better.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I don't think the stake should be set up that rigidly. You've already got the motivation (want to learn), all you need is to ensure that your opponent will play in their full force, which they can do at the lower end of their normal stake range too, without the risk of losing a lot of money to you (definitely not a bum). This way, they won't be too scared and will be able to show the A-game, and the learning will go better.

Well NL100 is often talked about as the entry point to HU. Rake is almost impossible to beat at NL50 and below. And its very low for most HU regulars. Actually one hour play is about 200 hands and the biggest lose rate anyone can expect vs a reg is 20bb/100 so that makes it $40. Don't think thats too much.

Having said all that, if you want to play lower, we can!
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Fair enough :f_frown: : though on iPoker / Microgaming the €1 rake cap is balanced out by the high cashback %, what makes lower stakes there beatable is the softness of the opposition, which is not the case here.

I was thinking about HUSnGs rather than cash, and forgot about that abysmal cash rake. For that same reason, PriscoInline suits me better as a sparring partner, I'm thinking about summoning him on the 24-25th.

You'd probably be better off setting up a play money home game at Stars and not having to pay real money rake.

But anyway, I'm afraid I don't need to gain HU skills in the 100 bb cash game setting, as I need them only in endgames of 3-6-max STTs, where stacks are much shallower.

I've stopped by because I had noticed that you had offered the HU championship opponent to play 50s (1/4 of the top prize of the entire competition), which looked like proper bumhunting :f_biggrin:
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I've stopped by because I had noticed that you had offered the HU championship opponent to play 50s (1/4 of the top prize of the entire competition), which looked like proper bumhunting fish biggrin

Haha I didnt think of it that way! :D Just wanted to make it at least somewhat meaningful for myself.

You'd probably be better off setting up a play money home game at Stars and not having to pay real money rake.

Actually the best way is to play on the play money HU tables on MG. They have 10/20 tables.
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      And who won between you and muumionu?
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      This sounds great, I'll add you in community tool, so I cancontact u when ready, right nowI'm inthe middle of some other poker and non poker stuff which leaves me no free time, but soon I will be ready to do it :) . Cheers!

Fran
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      And who won between you and muumionu?

I won a little bit, but he was starting to crush me towards the end especially.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Still looking for someone to play. :f_confused:
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy
      Still looking for someone to play. :f_confused:
      I'd be keen if you're happy to do Microgaming play money. I might be a bit too easy to beat, but wouldn't hurt to see if that's the case if you're keen. I have not played much nl50 HU at all (not rolled for it) but when I have played there I was pretty confident I had an edge vs the average reg and would be interested to know if I am right.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      I would play NL100 HU on Ipoker... you can PM me if interested