How can I escape Bad Run?

• tazza
      tazza
      Basic
      I'm in bad run for two months.

I've already experienced bad run many times, But this is the worst and longest case for the first time.

I believe the satistics and the fairness of online poker

However, nowadays I'm on the point of doubting about them

At last my patience has worn off to be tilted.

So today.. I lost much money.

I'm very blue now.

Please let me have your advide to escape this Bad Run
  • 12 replies
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Work on your game, not just on the tables but also off ofcourse. I know it is hard, but try to forget bad beats, downswings and stuff like that. If you lose money on some bad luck, or just bad played hands, dont play poker becourse you want to win that cash back. Play poker becourse you like it, and if you doesnt feel motivated after some bad beats I would just take a break if I was you, even tho some says breaking isnt good.

One of my biggest issues was my mental game when I started playing poker, and still is. You can be a really good poker player, and still get bad results if your mental game isnt good. Most of the times it isnt bad beats which cost money, but the tilting after bad beats for beginners.

I would check these articles if i was you; http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/

and if you wanna invest something in your poker game maybe buy 'The Mental Game of Poker'.

That being said, it might not be your mental game which is the problem, but if it is, improving it would be a really good idea :f_biggrin:
    • Happa2
      Happa2
      Silver
      You can have downswings of up to 100-200 buyins Depending on The Stake you are playing at, The Players you are Facing at that Stake, your winrate and your Standard Deviation.

A higher winrate will result in Lower variance. A Lower Standard deviation also Means you are less Luck dependant. For example if you play no hands at all you Would certainly lose variance Free.

If you play Tight you have a Low Standard deviation. If you play Loosely you will have a higher Standard deviation because you push smaller edges.

The closer you are to 50/50 The higher your variance gets.
    • BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      Actually, if we are talking about running, than today I experienced kinda frightening run as well.

I walked home from pub when suddenly an idea came to my head, that I must take a photo of someone. I looked around until I saw this piece of gold. I couldn't stop myself from doing it, so I took first snapshot!

After taking this premium shot, I decided that that's not enough and I took another one.

Then continued to to go further, when suddenly I heard a voice from back "WTF are you doing, idiot?!" I looked to that guy, I couldn't move I was like stunned. After few sec I asked him "What you mean?" and he answered "Are you retarded? Why you took photo of me?"- After that I knew, that I have only one option - I started to run! I started to run, without thinking. feets suddenly freed and I knew that I will run away from him. After few quarters i looked back and I didn't see him. I was proud with myself. I looked around and saw police officers, so I knew in that moment that I'm safe.
      After another few min I was already at home.

This was crazy evening. I have never run so badly. So my point tazza is that, whatever happens don't give up, and bad run at some time or other gonna end.
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Agree :heart:
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      @ Blowmebabe

Hahah that was an epic story man!
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Please let me have your advide to escape this Bad Run

how much did you even lose and at what stakes?
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Happa2
      You can have downswings of up to 100-200 buyins Depending on The Stake you are playing at, The Players you are Facing at that Stake, your winrate and your Standard Deviation.

A higher winrate will result in Lower variance. A Lower Standard deviation also Means you are less Luck dependant. For example if you play no hands at all you Would certainly lose variance Free.

If you play Tight you have a Low Standard deviation. If you play Loosely you will have a higher Standard deviation because you push smaller edges.

The closer you are to 50/50 The higher your variance gets.
      Nah chief don't think win rate has any impact on variance, the mathematical definition of it at least.
      You can be a huge winner with huge variance, often increasing your variance and winrate goes hand in hand e.g. when you value bet light you are increasing variance but if done correctly also winrate.

wikipedia entry:
      "A small variance indicates that the data points tend to be very close to the mean (expected value i.e. your real winrate in poker) and hence to each other, while a high variance indicates that the data points are very spread out from the mean and from each other"

Of course if your winrate close to 0 and your variance is high you will have big positive and negative swings at the same frequency. And since losses hurt more than gains it'll feel like you always run bad even though you don't :)
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze

Not sure this is true. Would like someone who is qualified to comment on this. :)
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy

Not sure this is true. Would like someone who is qualified to comment on this. :)
      Of course it's true. Think about this:

If you got it in in a 55:45 100 times and an 80:20 100 which scenario do you think is most likely to be further from the expected out come at the end of the 100 trials? Also why do you think 6-max you have a higher SD that Full-Ring? Are you starting to see a pattern/coloration emerging here?
    • deezerr79
      deezerr79
      Basic
      Just try to have fun and reduce stakes if needed. After playing poker purely recreationally for about 4 years now I am starting to accept the bad run. Last hand I played it was my AQ of diamonds vs A10 to finish, 2 diamonds on the flop gave me hope but it wasn't to be. If you're getting it in good most of the times, lose most of the times, rarely win a flip and suck out only when the stars align properly - what else can you do? I'm not a player that can increase volume when running this way and it takes very little to make me tilt and log out.
      Played an 180 player sng yesterday and finished 10th. Pay off was nothing but I had fun. Poker gives me an interesting run or a nice win now and again to keep me interested but on the whole, bankroll's usually going down. Haven't had to reload tho. Just keep repeating...it's a skill game...don't be results orientated. I've vented plenty on forums like this but it doesn't do much good to my mindset.
      Have a good time mate and try to improve your game despite the run. Or pick a hobby with less variance to progressing.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Why not you rest for a while... Turn off from poker table go read/watch/listen/play something interesting... Let the bad run/bad luck pass u...

*i've been having bad beat/ bad run for the past 1 week. So i decided to rest from playing poker for 2 days, went to jog and do interesting things. Start again today, now i am on winning streak again.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      The best way escaping bad run is not playing...