This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Probability of facing as steal while in BB

• Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I was trying to calculate the probability of facing a steal (openraise from CO,BU,SB). I am a bit confused.

Should the formula look like this ?

P(co)*(1-P(bu))*(1-P(sb) + P(bu)*(1-P(co))*(1-P(sb)) + P(sb)*(1-P(co))*(1-P(sb))

Any ideas ?
  • 5 replies
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      The alternative and more logical formula for me would be:

P(co) + P(bu)*(1-P(co)) + P(sb)*(1-P(co))*(1-P(bu))

That's because if cutoff steals, the further players don't have a chance to steal as well, so we shouldn't take them into account, if you know what I mean.

Basically I got confused between these two, since I assumed the following ranges, and get 0.8862 possibility that I will be facing a steal in BB, which looks rather high:

CO-30%
      BU-75%
      SB-35%
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      your formula is more complex, not going to check if it's correct.

the easier way to do it is...

Probability of Not Facing a Steal = 0.7 X 0.25 X 0.65
      Probability of Facing a steal = 1-P(no steal)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Both methods give the same answer.

However, I don't think I understand the value of merging these players together.

If button is open-raising 75% of the time, your reaction to an open-raise from him would be quite different than your reaction to an open-raise from the SB

In the first case, vs the BTN you are OOP if you call or 3Bet but likely face a weaker hand.

vs the SB, you will always be IP, but face a stronger hand.

Another way to look at this is that 12% of the time you get a walk in the BB.
      *That* seems high to me.

Of course, that is also the % of time you get
      66+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KJo+

Coincidence?

Maybe...
      --VS
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Another way to look at this is that 12% of the time you get a walk in the BB.
      *That* seems high to me.

Of course, that is also the % of time you get
      66+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KJo+

Coincidence?
      Hahaha - good one!!!
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      Since I didn't get replies for a while, I forgot about this question. Thanks Galvin for the reply, the formula is definitely easier, I forgot about the opportunity to count the probability of the opposite event :D

Vorpal - I don't really remember what I was doing, but it was not about defense vs steals for sure. It was more about what is the impact if I do not defend enough, how much lower my potential "ideal" winrate is.

I am underdefending OOP, but I am having a hard time playing OOP, without initiative, with a shitty hand... Don't know what boards to bluff postflop basically :) It is kind of easy to say check-call TP and some strong draws and Check-raise bluff backdoor stuff, and barrel scare cards. I usually play zoom, and underdefending is really bad in there, however the player pools are huge... So you very often don't have reads and have to bluff.

I am certainly aware that i have to open up my range (i think overall i fold to steal 65-70, which is too much), but by this formula I kind of wanted to know how much the opponents would be "autoprofiting", by me folding too much :)

Regards,
      Johnis