A belated hello

• smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Hi guys I'm steff and I am 20 years old from scotland uk :) i signed up here a few months back but never really got a chance to get involved in the community but with more time on my hands now is a good time :D so I have been playing poker casually for around 2 years now my usual games are small stake Mtts and 45 man SnG's I currently don't run in profit due to me not having the cash to make a good starting Br so when i deposit around $20 I can reach $50+ but then when i go through a downswing that Br goes too but just gotta ride it out :P it helps now that after a recent staking agreement that i found i perform well in the long run in 0.50 45mans so when I restart my Br next time this will be my only game and hopefully can build from there and get more experience as i go :) well I think I have said enough of life lol........ so come and say hello :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:
  • 7 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Steff,

Hello. :)

It's so nice to see another fellow 45 manner. It appeared a lot of people were moving to 180s, but in recent weeks it has somewhat revived with people looking to start study groups.

Do you really want to study 45 mans ? is a good one to check out if you are looking for study partners.

I find the .50c and $1.50s harder than the .25c and $1s (I think they are more swingy due to being turbos).

If you have any questions at all then fire away.

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community smellybawws!

Hope you are finding your way around OK?

Best wishes,
      Gary
    • smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey Steff,

It's so nice to see another fellow 45 manner. It appeared a lot of people were moving to 180s, but in recent weeks it has somewhat revived with people looking to start study groups.

Do you really want to study 45 mans ? is a good one to check out if you are looking for study partners.

I find the .50c and $1.50s harder than the .25c and $1s (I think they are more swingy due to being turbos).

Happy Grinding

Laz
      Hi Lazza yes indeed there good games :) yeah they are a little swingy sometimes I can have a 4 game win streak then a 5-10 game loss streak but when I played for my investor he taught me that these 4 games payed for my downswings and still was in profit :) , I think my style for these or strategy should Isay is I look for spots to double up in the early phases so as soon as I get premium pocket pairs or AQ?AK I try and induce a shove off my opponents and roughly 8/10 it works in my favor and then I usually just try and steal atleast one bb and sb per orbit to keep my stack afloat in the middle/late stages and then ofcoarse I dont mind stacking off when I get near to the final table with strong holdings or medium holdings if I feel I have a week opponent who plays alot of hands out off position and then the final table is when I loosen my range and I usually do a couple of double ups to secure my top 3 place but I have tried to play 0.25c and $1 I think I must just be used to turbo/hyper pace I did try 50 games of 25c and 10 of $1 but I just couldn't find any wins. but I will have to start and study these because there great Br builders :) i also would like to when I have a decent Br try these 180 mans just as an addition to my 45man schedule one day maybe :) . so what are these study groups about ? Is it a grinding club or profit sharing kind of thing?
    • smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Welcome to the community smellybawws!

Hope you are finding your way around OK?

Best wishes,
      Gary
      Hi Gary :D thanks its nice to finally get round to being involved what a great community this looks like lots and lots of ideas and information :f_biggrin: yeah I'am thanks for asking Its a really practical site and the people seem so friendly :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by smellybawws
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey Steff,

Happy Grinding

Laz
      Hi Lazza yes indeed there good games :) yeah they are a little swingy sometimes I can have a 4 game win streak then a 5-10 game loss streak but when I played for my investor he taught me that these 4 games payed for my downswings and still was in profit :) , I think my style for these or strategy should Isay is I look for spots to double up in the early phases so as soon as I get premium pocket pairs or AQ?AK I try and induce a shove off my opponents and roughly 8/10 it works in my favor and then I usually just try and steal atleast one bb and sb per orbit to keep my stack afloat in the middle/late stages and then ofcoarse I dont mind stacking off when I get near to the final table with strong holdings or medium holdings if I feel I have a week opponent who plays alot of hands out off position and then the final table is when I loosen my range and I usually do a couple of double ups to secure my top 3 place but I have tried to play 0.25c and $1 I think I must just be used to turbo/hyper pace I did try 50 games of 25c and 10 of $1 but I just couldn't find any wins. but I will have to start and study these because there great Br builders :) i also would like to when I have a decent Br try these 180 mans just as an addition to my 45man schedule one day maybe :) . so what are these study groups about ? Is it a grinding club or profit sharing kind of thing?
      Hey Steff,

The non turbos tend to contain a lot of nits as opposed to the turbos which contain a lot of gamblers. So you can play the turbos with looser ranges but you really need to play tighter in the non turbos.

Generally most study groups are just groups of like minded people who are trying to take their game to the next level. They will analyse difficult spots together, review hand histories and discuss more advanced strategies that they are not entirely comfortable with.

Cheers

Laz
    • smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Yeah Laz your right this is why I play tighter in turbo's and only play made or strong hands as there is too many ''all ins'' with stupid holdings that hit two pair or connect flush ect :P I think the main problem I have with these is I been over estimating the skill of players in small stake non turbos as you said there mostly nits and then when I go in and loosen up to these apparent tight players with medium holdings they can bluff catch me or call when I'am completely dominated so I guess I can work on that as I think I have just found my main leak in these non turbo's :D I still haven't had a good look at all the training and educational stuff on here I think I may make a day of it tomorrow and possibly start my own blog :f_biggrin:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Steff,

Haha. I know exactly where you're coming from. Happens so many times :facepalm:

Definitely recommend checking out the articles on 'Diminishing Chip Value', 'The Risk Premium Concept' and also articles on ICM and Nash push/fold ranges for final table and bubble play.

Looking forward to your blog and consider me subscribed. :f_thumbsup:

Cheers

Laz