Whats the best poker tracking software??

• 29 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Steff.

There is only 2 you should ever consider, PokerTracker4 and Holdem Manager 2. Both are excellent pieces of software.

I would suggest taking advantage of the 30 day free trial on both and then making a decision.

You can find details of both HM2 and PT4 here including any current discounts for PokerStrategists.

Regards

Laz
    • smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey Steff.

There is only 2 you should ever consider, PokerTracker4 and Holdem Manager 2. Both are excellent pieces of software.

I would suggest taking advantage of the 30 day free trial on both and then making a decision.

You can find details of both HM2 and PT4 here including any current discounts for PokerStrategists.

Regards

Laz
      Hi thanks for reply laz I have tried to download pokertracker4 but this postgres server thing wont connect and pokertracker I don't think can run without it :P I have read a post in here about how to fix this issue so will maybe try that as it seemed to work for others :D thanks....... steff
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by smellybawwsHi thanks for reply laz I have tried to download pokertracker4 but this postgres server thing wont connect and pokertracker I don't think can run without it :P I have read a post in here about how to fix this issue so will maybe try that as it seemed to work for others :D thanks....... steff
      PostgreSQL is required to be installed for both PokerTracker 4 and other trackers such as Holdem Manager which Lazza61 mentioned, PostgreSQL is the actual database where the information is stored, PokerTracker is the interface that imports data into the database and then pulls data out of the database and displays it in reports, graphs, or the HUD.

Some new users have trouble while installing PostgreSQL because they have the wrong user permissions, or because they need to disable their firewall/antivirus software until PostgreSQL is up and running. Can you tell us the exact error message you see? If we know the error message we can tell you how to solve the problem.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      From my experience I would say Pokertracker has the best HUD, and it's not even close, you can build a way more advanced HUD in Pokertacker. But on the other hand HM2 has without a doubt the best analyzing tools, it's so much easier to run filters and find old hands.

I obv. think you should try them both and see which one you prefer, but if you just want a fairly simple HUD to start with you should probably use HM2.
    • smellybawws
      smellybawws
      Bronze
      Hi poker tracker i have fixed my problems with postgres and were all good :D although i seem to only have 8 days left of my trial on pt4 which is crazy as i have never had a chance to use it but I suppose 8 days is long enough to see if i like it :D and thanks jcseerup i intend on trying both and then i will evaluate which one serves me best :) but thanks to you both for your replies :f_biggrin:
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by smellybawws
      Hi poker tracker i have fixed my problems with postgres and were all good :D although i seem to only have 8 days left of my trial on pt4 which is crazy as i have never had a chance to use it but I suppose 8 days is long enough to see if i like it :D and thanks jcseerup i intend on trying both and then i will evaluate which one serves me best :) but thanks to you both for your replies :f_biggrin:
      Send us a PM with your email address, we are willing to provide an additional trial extension for situations like this. Enjoy!

PS: You also have 14 day money back guarantee, no questions asked. Many trial users purchase immediately to see what the HUD will be like in the unrestricted full licensed version of PT4 because they know there is no risk - but this is optional of course.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      PT4 is the best choice for beginner. And its not even close.
      HM2 is relatively less stable, need higher computer specs, and not as user friendly as PT4.

The only reason to buy HM2 is if you are planning to use the add ons, and pay much more than HM2 itself.
    • amater0001
      amater0001
      Bronze
      Anything for PLO8?
    • amater0001
      amater0001
      Bronze
      actually O8 :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey amater0001,

Both HM2 and PT4 support standard O8 games (FL, PL and NL). Not sure about 5 card O8 or Courchevel Hi/Lo.

Regards

Laz
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Hey amater0001,

Both HM2 and PT4 support standard O8 games (FL, PL and NL). Not sure about 5 card O8 or Courchevel Hi/Lo.

Regards

Laz
      We should buy the omaha version, no? Not the Holdem Version. So if you we want to play NLHE and PLO then we should buy 2 license. (Sorry if my info wrong. I'm not so sure)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by patszerdonk
      Hey amater0001,

Regards

Laz
      We should buy the omaha version, no? Not the Holdem Version. So if you we want to play NLHE and PLO then we should buy 2 license. (Sorry if my info wrong. I'm not so sure)
      Correct. You would need to buy the Omaha licence, and if you were playing Holdem you would need both licenses.

I have PT 4 Holdem and Omaha.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Thank you for saying that. We agree, but we also think that PT4 is the best choice for world class pros due to our post game analysis tools, custom reports and filters, ICM tools built into all reporting, the ability to perform tournament detection, NoteTracker's use of player and opponent filters to write notes where observations of actions can occur but we cannot observe the opportunities for those actions, the ability to create custom stats and write SQL statements for filters, and one of most overlooked yet super powerful features - hand range modeling for equity calculations. Its the middle ground between beginners and world class pros where the decision between which application to choose is less clear... at that point it should become a decision based on workflow.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      Thank you for saying that. We agree, but we also think that PT4 is the best choice for world class pros due to our post game analysis tools, custom reports and filters, ICM tools built into all reporting, the ability to perform tournament detection, NoteTracker's use of player and opponent filters to write notes where observations of actions can occur but we cannot observe the opportunities for those actions, the ability to create custom stats and write SQL statements for filters, and one of most overlooked yet super powerful features - hand range modeling for equity calculations. Its the middle ground between beginners and world class pros where the decision between which application to choose is less clear... at that point it should become a decision based on workflow.
      To be honest, the only disadvantage of PT4 is: there is no way to use "vs hero stats" in HUD. If you implemented it then I see no reason at all to buy HM2!
      No things perfect ;)

There's might be other(s) disadvantage of PT4 vs HM2 but I'm not aware or not need.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Vs Hero stats as they are currently offered are a flawed concept, you should instead use BY Position and VS Position stats. Vs Hero stats could have been added in PT4, but we have intentionally left them out because this concept is mathematically flawed. For extensive details on why, please see this blog: https://www.pokertracker.com/blog/2012/08/answering-the-question-does-this-player-alter-his-play-against-me

With that said, there are some users who have created their own Vs Hero stats, there is extensive discussion of this topic in our support forums - but we will not add them because this stat will do more to hurt players than help them as discussed in the blog. As developers we are accountable for our decisions, we certainly do not want to make decisions that are likely to cost players money, especially when the possible gain is very thin and there are better ways to accomplish a similar review.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      Vs Hero stats as they are currently offered are a flawed concept, you should instead use BY Position and VS Position stats. Vs Hero stats could have been added in PT4, but we have intentionally left them out because this concept is mathematically flawed. For extensive details on why, please see this blog: https://www.pokertracker.com/blog/2012/08/answering-the-question-does-this-player-alter-his-play-against-me

With that said, there are some users who have created their own Vs Hero stats, there is extensive discussion of this topic in our support forums - but we will not add them because this stat will do more to hurt players than help them as discussed in the blog. As developers we are accountable for our decisions, we certainly do not want to make decisions that are likely to cost players money, especially when the possible gain is very thin and there are better ways to accomplish a similar review.
      Thanks for answer.

As software developer, your task is to provide what user "want" not what user "need". If it do harm to user then its not your fault. The reasoning in the article doesn't make sense. Every stats have the potential to damage the user if not used correctly. For simple example, if I use VPIP/PFR then I have to capable to read it correctly. I have to know that if someone with 25/20 open raise from UTG, most probably his range is tighter than 20%. If I do (or do not) use it correctly, I can not ask you to take responsibility.

I saw the discussion about vs hero stats in PT4 forum before, but it's not easy to use to implemented and quite confusing.

Please provide it at the warehouse to download. just put something like this in the page: "attention! this stats will do harm to your game. We provide it just for the shake of completness. Do not use it"
      :)
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Thanks for answer.

As software developer, your task is to provide what user "want" not what user "need". If it do harm to user then its not your fault.
      We are developers, and we are proud to have an outstanding set of morals that guide our development compass. We made the mistake you are proposing in PokerTracker 3 by providing All-In EV when we knew it was a flawed stat concept, we regret this decision and have assured ourselves we will never provide inaccurate stats or stats that high a high likelihood of providing misleading data again.

In case you were wondering EV is a mathematical concept, it is one of the fundamental concepts in probability theory. It was not created for poker yet poker players can use this mathematical concept provided that there are two things known - a constant (your hand) and a variable (your opponents range of hands). A variable is needed because the expected value of a real-valued random variable gives the center of the distribution of the variable - the center of the distribution is the EV. Since EV can only be calculated when a variable is present, and PokerTracker cannot determine an opponents range of hands (intentionally I might add, if we did this then our application could be classed as AI which means we would not be permitted to be used on most poker rooms), therefore we cannot use an opponents actual hand because the mean distribution cannot be calculated. Thats why the term All-In EV was used in PT3 (and is still used incorrectly in some applications), but All-In EV is a mathematically flawed stat.. there is no such thing. Additionally players were incorrectly using this stat as a measurement of luck, but EV is a measurement of expectation, not luck. So in PokerTracker 4 we removed All-In EV and replaced it with All-In Equity Adjusted Winnings. Now the name accurately displays the functionality, and we further modified the stat to only be calculated when the equity of all players can be realized; we do this by disqualifying any hands where a player folds if they had equity in the pot rather than give them equity for the random hand or ignore their equity. Its our policy that accuracy is more important than customer demands, on this topic we will never again compromise - its better to be right than have a flawed solution. On the bright side we do give you the ability to create your own flawed stats, once you own PokerTracker 4 then your free to use it as you like within the restrictions of the EULA (End User License Agreement) but we reserve the right to not distribute these flawed stats ourselves.
    • Post removed

• cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      Right now i have HM2,PT4(trial) and [Linking to our partners competitors is not permitted under our forum principles - Lazza61],they all run well for me .