[NL2-NL10] AJ on NL10 SH marginal situation.

• Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $12,47
      BB:
      $9,04
      CO:
      $13,79
      Hero:
      $24,98

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , J:club:
      CO calls $0,10, Hero raises to $0,50, SB calls $0,45, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1,20) 7:diamond: , J:heart: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,80, SB raises to $2,65, Hero calls $1,85.

Turn: ($6,50) 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4,80, SB calls $4,80.

River: ($16,10) 3:spade: (2 players)
      SB raises $4,52 (All-In), Hero calls $4,52.

Final Pot: $25,14

Results follow (highlight to see):
      SB shows a flush, nine high (8s 9s)
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (As Jc)

SB wins with a flush, nine high (8s 9s)
  • 5 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Do not post results, it might influence us.
      O the flop you have a standard way ahead(way behind situation. I am not happy with this raise but I probably call it because SB is fairly aggressive and brings a lot hands to the SD. So c/calling down is fine.
      nh!

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Thanks for your comments, they must be highlighted to see, so you can just ignore them :-) But I won't post them anyway anymore. I wanted to ask also is my turn donk ok, or should I let him bluff here and reraise? I am not happy about seeing a next card with just pair of jacks.

Flop reraise polarizes his range but I need to call since he\is AF is high, against pretty low AF it's a fold right? Would decent player raise something like KJ ? It's not that WA/WB because KQ has some nice quity there and you never know what to do if they come.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      It is way ahead/ way behind because we do not expect him to have KQ all that often. Either he has us beat with a set or we have him beat, in this case he has a worse pair. Sometimes he might be bluffing.
      I actually haven't seen your turn bet. Thought he bet. ^^
      Well, it's pretty rare that villain plays c/r flop and c/r turn. But to avoid that I would check behind and let him bluff or valuebet the river. You don't really have to protect, it's unlikely that he has the backdoor flush.

Best regards,
      Tribuncaesar
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Yea it's WA/WB situatiin here because he heck-raised me on the flop, if he just called I'd keep betting, you shouldn't go for pot control unless you have a very good reason for that(like being check-raised). But look, in this week's quiz there is almost the same situation and the right answer differs from what we think! And here villain's line is even stronger. The quiz answer is b), which is bad in my opinion.

Question 2:

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :spade: , K :spade:
      6 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K :club: , 8 :diamond: , 7 :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4 :diamond: (1 players)
      BB bets.

You made on open-raise from CO with A :spade: K :spade: . The big blind only called you: first he checks, you bet and suddenly he raises. You call the raise and he bets after you again on the turn. How do you react to his bet?

Answer a: I call the turn and the river and just play the hand passively from now on. The opponent could hold a hand like K6, K8 or 56 (56 hits the straight on the turn) and I really want to avoid being raised again, which would make the hand become really expensive for me.

Answer b: I raise right on the turn as there are still a few unmade hands that will call me there, but I won't bet again on the river (for instance if he doesn't hit with JT or T9). I think the opponent will see the showdown with a lot of pairs and if I only call the turn, he might only check the river in case another high card shows up.

Answer c: I only call the river so I can then raise with a good card, in order to avoid making the opponent fold on the turn.

answer a (0 Points)
      answer b (2 Points)
      answer c (0 Points)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      This was a FL quiz :rolleyes: