Advice on loosening up my play!

• Badb420
      Hello all, I have been playing poker for a few years now and the biggest flaw I can find with my game is I seem to be playing too tight!!! I always make a run in MTT's but wind up coming up short as the blinds keep getting bigger and the ante's kick in! Im able to steal some blinds when in position and make a few moves in position but I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how I can loosen up my game in these middle stages of MTT's? As in what cards to start playing at this point and perhaps how to get better reads on situations if possible!!!
  • 2 replies
    • Harrier88
      There are some articles in the silver section that deal with this situation and even contain some charts. Unfortunately, you don't have the status for them yet...

One advice I can give you is that you have to be prepared to put your opponents under pressure by going all-in when the ratio of your stack to the blinds/antes decreases. Are you familiar with the concept of the ICM (Independent Chip Model)?

Basically, you have to play Push/Fold when you have less than 13 Big Blinds at the latest, and you can even raise all-in as a resteal with less than 25 Big Blinds in certain situations. The cards you play depend heavily on your position and the action before you.

If you're not familiar with the ICM yet, check out the Basic articles in the Sit & Go section, and give this tool a try. It is once again aimed at SNG players, but the concepts apply to MTTs as well, and it should give a good idea about what cards you should play or fold in the late stages.

Good luck! :s_cool:
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      When I first read your question, the first thing that came to mind was "steal more"

When to start push/fold depends partly on the blind level vs stack size but it also depends on the stack sizes of the people still to act behind you.

Like Harrier88 says -- the articles that deal with this topic need higher status.

Have you taken the quiz?

You should also check out the free poker money to see if it is available to you.

Best of luck,