TheNutsCracked

• TheNutsCracked
      TheNutsCracked
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I'm T.J., 22, and i've been playing poker since i was around 16 but only very casually at the beginning. 2 years ago i joined an online poker room and soon found out the hard way about what it's like to play. I had no discipline, i remember one time i flopped a full boat, went all in and got called and the guy pulls off runner runner for the straight flush. I was steaming and blew my whole bankroll the rest of the session. So i gave it a long break.

I love poker so much and i can never quit playing this great game, i'm coming into this with a much more superior frame of mind. Understanding the discipline that it needed with not letting my emotions get the better of me and discipline in bankroll management.

I just decided to go ahead and do the NL beginners course to help build a solid foundation for my game. I won't be rushing the homework, i want to sit down and make sure i absorb every single morsel of information and knowledge that this great site has to offer before i move on the next step. I have a lot of confidence in myself with this approach, i'm sorry i didn't do it sooner. I will be crushing the micros soon!

The poker room i've signed up to through poker strategy is PokerStars as i think they have a good volume of players, which is what attracted me to it.

So yeah there we go, it might be a week or 2 until i put of my first loaf of homework, but as i said, i want to do it right and get these new principles of the game burned into my brain. I just want to say again that this website is an absolute gem.

I'm very excited to begin this journey. Goodluck. :f_biggrin:
  • 4 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Silver
      Hey TheNutsCracked

Welcome to the beginner's course and to pokerstrategy.com. It's real cool that you have such a good approach to the game and i'm sure with the material here at pokerstrategy.com and your approach to the game you'll go far. It really is a great game aye! Looking forward to seeing your first homework and bogdan our course coach will pop in to check your homework when you post it :)

All the best,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello TJ,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homeworks.

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • TheNutsCracked
      TheNutsCracked
      Bronze
      What is your motivation for playing poker?

I play poker because i love the game in general, but now i've decided to stop playing casually and start to take it very serious. I'm in the process of developing my game into becoming more than a hobby. My motivation is to eventually create significant profit from playing and move up the stake as soon as my br, skill and instinct tells me to and to never stop reaching for that next level. I'm a poker freak, i spend hours of my free time every day watching poker, playing poker, thinking poker, talking poker and this forum is an oasis of information and people for all of those. I just want to be the best eventually! Sorry for not being subtle but that's my dream and you have to shoot for the moon you're at nothing.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Oh man where do i begin. :facepalm:
      I have so many that i'm gonna list them in bullet points lol!

• Not ridding myself of all distractions during a session i.e. T.V. on in the background.
      • Not being selective on tables when not playing zoom, sometimes just diving in to the first one i see.
      • Absorbing information when learning about my game, i have to read articles a few times over and over to let them sink in.
      • I don't note my opponents moves on all streets and try to go through their possible thought process during a hand, i'm normally more mentally consumed by my hand and my opponents most recent bet.
      • Re-evaluating my hand after every street.
      • Struggle to remember what i've learned when i i'm in a tough spot and i usually when a bad decision but when i review it i get angry because only then can i clearly spot the mistake i've made.
      • Being over aggressive and become pot commited pretty easily.
      • After i've played a hand aggresively and miss the flop i'll keep firing out of desperation, this a has caused me to spew away almost all of my br.
      • Being a bit of a sheriff when re-raised on the turn, river if even i have a mediocre hand.
      • re-raise with a mediocre hand because i feel my opponent is just trying to push me around, then finding out 95% of the time he wasn't lying and i get absolutely owned, tilt mode activated :rage: :rage: .
      • Very stubborn to let my blinds go when raised on bb.
      • TILT- this is a big problem which led to my spewing my br, next week when i set up my new br i'm creating a stop loss for each session.
      • Almost get timed out when trying to figure out pot odds, will this become more natural and faster to me in time?
      • Not becoming involved in discussions about hands because i feel i have no right to discuss tactics with other good players, too embarrased.
      • I play aggressive but i get intimidated when the tables are turned which forces mistakes out of me.
      • I believe i shove too often be it pre or post flop. killed my br.
      • Not getting a better understanding of what everyone one of my session stats actually mean in PT4
      • I have trouble identifying nits, lags during a hand but again, i can spot them easier if i was watching someone else play.
      • Don't use a colour system to mark fish and various types of players. Almost afraid to because i feel i don't have enough hands played with them to be sure and as aboe have a bit of trouble spotting them. Surely this will be come more natural in time?
      • Still throw out donk bets without notcing, i think this is out of laziness and lack of focus.
      • Feeling like i'm getting sucked out on most of the time.
      • multi-tabling, becoming overwhelmed playing 4 zoom tables, moved down to 2 but now actually moving down to one just to put full focus in my plays for the time being.

I could have even more, but can't think of any now.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Well now, tight aggresive (which is my style of play) is carefully selecting when to enter a pot on the basis of your hole cards, generally getting involved in about 17-21% of hands. My own vpip on my stats is at the 18% range. Playing agressive is when you bet and raise in order to force mistakes out of your opponents, you want to be the instigator and not let villian take the initiative and forcing mistakes in your own game.

Hope that's pretty much all of it covered.

Boom, homework 1 completed, looking forward to hear your feedback coach. On a side note can i post 2-3 hands on here for you to evaluate, these are hands and plays that i believe are killing my br. Or would you rather if i posted on the hand evaluation forum. I'd like to keep all my work in this thread, but if not it's all good.

:diamond: Just a quick question about taking notes on players in your tracker, when should i take notes? The only logic i can understand about notes is if a player goes against his usual style. for example if i had 500 hands tracked on a nit who's short stacked and shoves J 10 would i put a note in that looks like " Range gets way looser when short stacked"?

I might also pop in here with the odd question or maybe in regard to understanding my stats better if thats cool with you too.

Have we just become best bros?, yep i think so, Peace. :pokerface:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      That's a pretty epic first homework :)

I'm impressed.

You are more than welcome to drop in here with any questions you may have about your game (and not only).

Regarding the note taking question you want to ideally take notes (mental or written) on anything that could help you make a better decision in the future.

Example: Villain bets 1/2 pot and shows a bluff. Villain bets full pot and shows the nuts. Etc.

And yes, things will get better in time (anything that you can practice, like calculating pot odds, will get easier and easier the more you do it - think about how you learned to add up numbers).