tracking hands and explain bb rate?

• excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      hi, i am interested in keeping track of the way i am playing my hands, so maybe i will see what i am doing wrong, compared to others? is there a free software that allows me to look into how many hands i play, how many i win and my $$ balance?

it would be nice if it was free too:P

finally, what is a bb rate?

just realised i posted this to database, please move it to beginners?

thanks
  • 10 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi excelgeo,

PokerStrategy has its own tracking software program. It's called Elephant, and you can download the trial version here. The trial version is valid for 21 days. Once you have 1000 strategy points you will recieve a license code. So then you have the full version for free.

A BB winrate is how many BB's (big blinds) you make per 100 hands. Often writen as 5BB/100 (example).

Also be aware that pokertracker also uses BB/100, but on pokertracker BB stands for big bets. A big bet is worth 2 big blindes.

When people write "I have a 5bb/100 winrate", they could mean big blindes or big bets. If you use pokertacker you should always write your winrate as 5ptbb/100 (example. ptbb = pokertracker big bets).

Hope that is uderstandable,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i hear that elephant is very demanding with regards to computer specs.

also, i still dont get what is a big bind. what is a big bind? how do i keep track of it without a software?

1000 strategy points is so much:P , how much does this thing cost otherwise?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

Yes Elephant is quite demanding with regards to computer spcefications.

"The big blind is the larger of the two forced bets in a game with blinds. The smaller of the two is called the small blind. The blinds are paid before the cards are dealt, always by different players from round to round. The player to the left of the dealer pays the small blind, the player next to him pays the big blind."

As far as i'm aware Elephant is not for sale. Maybe it will be in the future though.

What is it that you play? SSS?

For the low limits I'd advise that you just stick to the strategys. Therefore you dont need any software at the beginning. It's vital that you learn the basics before you start using such programs.

Also heres the link for the glossary, you can look up any poker words your unsure of.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i knew what a big blind is lol i sounded like an idiot, but in fact you said big BIND:P

i play $1 tourneys, freerolls, and the occasional .5-.1 cash game. but i have not made any profit yet, i seem to lose it when at the middle stages for some reason...

in fact, i lose right about the time when the ante gets slightly high.. no strategy guides for ante play:(
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      MTT play is advanced, imo you should build a roll with SnGs or cashgames before you do them seriously. There's no strategy for them because they're so varied, so after that you just need to play and play and analyze your mistakes and learn from them until it starts working out for you :P
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      im losing so much in cash games, people see my short stack and take advantage..
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

You want people to take advantage, as you are only playing premium hands. Therefore you will get payed off more often.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      so you are saying i should play AK AA KK QQ AQ only and each time push?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

No. You should read and reread these articles - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/#basic

Their is numerous articles, video's, coachings and hand evaluating forums for SSS. If you follow the giudes strictly, you SHOULD be winning. For SSS on the lower limits you dont need software.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      thanks

it has gotten better, it is so hard to fold AT and cards like that, i dont know how you do it, but it seems to work. i was wondering though, if i have AT suited and i am CO or BUTTON, should i not just call if there has been no raise?

and in a tournament situation, a sit and go for example, how good is A2 suited? i am wondering as they are connectors too

great job by the way, poker bible