9mans really?

• variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Yet another blog. I have been thinking about this for a while and decided to do one yet again. As for my history:

I will keep this very short since you can simply check that in other blogs aswell. I've played 9mans from the beginning of my "poker career" and made the shift to 180's on PS just before black friday. About 9 months ago I switched back to 9mans and playing $15's on stars and other clients.

My biggest leak is switching games to often. I crushed the 180's but felt I needed a change and that has set me back in earnings about 3 times allready. I will likely stick to the games I play for a while now so not to worry.

What I will post in this blog... I have no idea. Anything that crosses my mind really. I don't want to make any promisses to what I will and will not post.

I am mostly concerned about the amount of hours I play in a week. I have to make that more. Right now this month I have 60 clean hours.

So my single and only goal for the remaining month is to play 40 more hours.

I am getting coaching by tim64 which works I can say. I will reset my ss results soon when I discussed it with him (since he stakes me at the moment aswell) and keep a good record for my earnings from now on!

Regards,

VK

P.S. any questions you have you can ask. I will check this blog atleast once every 2 days!
  • 32 replies
    • RestealFold
      RestealFold
      Bronze
      subbed, gl! See you at the tables :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by RestealFold
      me too - good luck!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Gold
      Hi, I'm new to sng's, trying it out at 3.50 level :) And I have one general question. You are in the money with two fishes. (I know it's rare in your level but 3.50 where 6-7 fishes per table are standard- this happens lol.

So, we are itm with 2 complete fishes. Is our general tactic to play tight and increase our chances to stay with one fish HU, or we should play more flops and use our skills to kill them postflop and earn chips which will make us huhge favorites to finish in 1st place. For the purpose of studying let's say that we have all similar stacks and not much room for postflop play due to pretty high blinds.

Also, if we want to see flops vs these guys, do we limp many bvsb from SB?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I'm a cash game playedr who is learning sng's and I can't use on push- fold stage of sng's, always think I should bring fish postflop.. :)

Oh this become long, sorry for that.

All in all,
      gl with your challenge and crush it :)
    • Megalodon1988
      Megalodon1988
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Originally posted by RestealFold
      me too - good luck!
      What is your ps name Tim64? Do you play 9mans?
    • Megalodon1988
      Megalodon1988
      Bronze
      And GL Variancekiller, I will follow your blog!
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Hi, I'm new to sng's, trying it out at 3.50 level :) And I have one general question. You are in the money with two fishes. (I know it's rare in your level but 3.50 where 6-7 fishes per table are standard- this happens lol.

So, we are itm with 2 complete fishes. Is our general tactic to play tight and increase our chances to stay with one fish HU, or we should play more flops and use our skills to kill them postflop and earn chips which will make us huhge favorites to finish in 1st place. For the purpose of studying let's say that we have all similar stacks and not much room for postflop play due to pretty high blinds.

Also, if we want to see flops vs these guys, do we limp many bvsb from SB?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I'm a cash game playedr who is learning sng's and I can't use on push- fold stage of sng's, always think I should bring fish postflop.. :)

Oh this become long, sorry for that.

All in all,
      gl with your challenge and crush it :)
      There are different kind of fish. The ones that are passive, aggresive and the ones that are scared. All require a different tactic. Stats are really important when it comes to making decisions on how to play your opponent.

In general it is not very profitable to play postflop when you have a shorter than about 8bb. So from that point I would shove nash and increase or decrease your shoving range according to how tight your opponents are.

Vs a standard I would become very aggresive preflop, make wide c-bets on good boards and dont bluff to often. As always it depends but that is the best answer I can give you without much information!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Gold
      makes sense, I actually did adopt this kind of thinking over last couple of days bcs I realized that playing these 65/5 fishes postflop makes no sense, it's actually the best thing to do to stay alive with one of them HU bcs they are doing terrible calls at HU, so we have great chance to take sng down even with smaller stack in HU.

Thanks for your reply mate :)

gl at the tables, cheers!

Fran
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Progress has been steady lately. Unfortunetly Tim is in Dublin now so coaching will be done after he gets back. It sets me back in improving a bit, but I am still studying and playing ofcourse.

I have played a decent amount of hours lately. So far 73 hours, I probably won't hit the 100 this month since I forgot there are only 28 days in this month :s_confused:

Next month I will aim for 120 playing hours, combined with school and having a life besides work it's going to be a lot.

SS has not been blocked yet. I will do that once my contract is done so we can keep it clean.

That's all for now!
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      End of the month is almost here. Poker is going well, I feel like I am improving a lot. Next thing I will be working on is 3-betting vs regs and 3-bet/call 3-bet/fold. I really need to improve in that area.

Last few days I found some big exploitable leaks vs regs I am playing which is great. They don't seem to adjust very much :)

As for life? I am hosting a bachelor party which is coming down on the 29th of March, and I will be going to Madrid for the Madrid Open semi-finals in tennis which hopefully will be great.

I am really satisfied with this month, profit could be a bit more but I am working on it. I will post a graph at the end of the month probably so keep on a lookout for that.

As for now, my last playing day for this month, since my fathers birthday is tomorrow (actually its on the 29th but there is none this year) and have school aswell.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      I promised a graph from February so here it is. Unfortunetly can't show the EV line since it's bugged out on my HEM 2 for some reason.

I am satisfied for now, but know I have to improve a bunch to get where I want to be.... So grinding and learning continues.

Goals:

Play 100 hours at least
      Improve in 3-bet pots
      Climb the leaderboards on Sharkscope
      Win pokerclient Leaderboard (though one)
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      First two weeks are done. Played a decent amount of poker but still have to grind a bit more. I'm happy with my play so far this month.

I have made the decision to cut out every bit of unnecessary sugar and salt out of my "diet". Since I started living in my own place I have gained a total of 20kg... I still weigh a standard 80kg but I think it's ridiculous to gain that much in about 3 years time. Part of it is because I stopped giving tennis lessons 40 hours a week. Which made sure I didn't do sports as much as I use to.

I have not decided when exactly I will start. It will either be from 20-03-2014 or from 01-04-2014. This because I have to discuss it with my parents in law aswell. I am at their house every weekend and them buying stuff I eat and than not eating it is a waste of food. Since that is even worse than gaining a bit of weight I will start as soon as I got that covered.

My expectations for it are:
      • better overall fitness
      • less sleeping hours needed
      • better concentration on and off the tables

I will keep you guys updated on the my experiences.

Also I might have something big coming up in 1-2 months... stay tuned for that.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Decided to start with the no sugar, no salt (I will eat them in my daily meals, but no extra's, like chips candy etc.) tomorrow morning. I realised that if I postpone it for to long I will probably not do it at all... I will keep updating on my experience with it in here!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Good luck with it :)
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Gold
      Originally posted by variancekiller
      Decided to start with the no sugar, no salt (I will eat them in my daily meals, but no extra's, like chips candy etc.) tomorrow morning. I realised that if I postpone it for to long I will probably not do it at all... I will keep updating on my experience with it in here!
      Please update on this one regularly,
      I'm highly interested,

also, nice work poker wised.

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      I can also confirm a date and time for the HU championship quarter final that will be delayed livestream here. It will be on the 18th of March at 18:00 GMT... best of 5 turbo's
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Gold
      I can also confirm a date and time for the HU championship quarter final that will be delayed livestream here. It will be on the 18th of March at 18:00 GMT... best of 5 turbo's
      thanks for the info, you must have good connections because I don't know when will mine be uploaded :D
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      thanks for the info, you must have good connections because I don't know when will mine be uploaded :D
      I think mine will be live broadcasted... not 100% though
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Well that was the QF for the HU championship. Managed to win 3-1. I think I played it pretty well overall. I might regret a couple of decisions but nothing huge. I found a leak and exploited it as much as I could.

As for the no sugar, no salt... It works really well so far. I am eating much more healthy and feel my body adjusting. So far there has not been reall temptations, but that will come for sure in the next few days. Right now my snacks are Cucumber and various fruits.

Ofcourse I can't expect effects that are of the grid in 2 days, but I do notice some minor tweaks. Just have to keep this up for 28 more days! And maybe after that ban excessive sugar and salt for ever!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Gold
      Grats on another HU championship win :)