Have I commited a cardinal sin??

• xxbchxx
      xxbchxx
      Bronze
      I have been playing poker now for only about 3 years!
      I have won some cash but mostly lost cash...
      I stumbled across pokerstrategy trying to improve my game, and I believe it has. The strategy I've learnt has taken my initial deposit of £15 to just over £250 (playing through $1 to $5 SnG's).
      Now I've withdrawn my winnings to spend on my birthday party next week...lol

The burning question on my mind is, Is this very poor bankroll management or a good reward for my hard work?

What are your thought's?
  • 12 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      It depends on your priorities.
      If you want to continue on your actual limit... well of course it's a bad idea since you don't have the roll to play there anymore.
      If you say poker is just a hobby and you don't care if you have to start from scratch again, well you could call it a good decision. But you have to consider that higher limits most likely mean more money ;) So if you always withdraw while still on the small stacks and restart again you will never accomplish any real big winnings or at least it will take much longer to accumulate them.

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • stantos
      stantos
      Bronze
      I'm a fan of leaving my BR separate. I don't see it as money (but play like it is)

If I am poor then I get by and dream about the higher limits that my BR will eventually allow me to get to.
    • heartburn13
      heartburn13
      Bronze
      you can always replace 250, but this birthday and this party will not come around again, life is for living and not on what might be. enjoy yourself and happy birthday.
    • xxbchxx
      xxbchxx
      Bronze
      Thanks for your thoughts quite varying I see.
      I feel that I can achieve the sort of BR again and enjoying my birthday a little more can only be a good thing I guess.

But in the future I'll try hard to keep the two separate then I can break in to the bigger leagues ....lol
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Happy Birthday!

I agree you should enjoy your birthday, life is for living, etc..

Personally, I do keep my poker Bankroll completely separate from everything else.
    • stantos
      stantos
      Bronze
      how rude I am so sorry, many happy returns, have a great day dude !!
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Well if poker is not allowing you to have a happy birthday you should stop it :)

But it seems like It aint :) So have a good one :)

Tho if you plan on climbing up the limits then you should keep it separate like some people have said before me :)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Well if poker is not allowing you to have a happy birthday you should stop it :)

Stop having birthdays ofc.. Not like your ever gonna quit poker :)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      enjoy yourself.
      If you don't have money for your birthday, splurge with your winning.
      Get drunk, have fun, go wild.
      Get loads of numbers.
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      happy birthday man!!! :D
      its nice that you made a good use of your money
      there will always be a higher limit to climb, so imho you should withdraw at least half of your bankroll from time to time
      just to know what you play for (instead of playing until you reach a million or bust your entire bankroll)
    • strat9
      strat9
      Bronze
      This reply is probably a little late, but I also agree that it was worth spending. Hope your birthday was fun. The reason I'm posting is because I read on another site (don't remember which, unfortunately) that it is good to withdraw 10% of your bankroll weekly once you hit about $1500. The 10% rule makes sense to me even for BR<1500, but just not weekly if it is. I haven't yet found much on this site (good site, not complaining) about wisely balancing spending vs. saving in bankroll management. Maybe it's at a higher level than my access, but the 10% rule seemed like a decent tip so I thought I'd share it.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      When thinking of how many days it took to make my BR I would never withdraw it unless I had an emergency. Its not just the money, its the time away from your kids/spouse/GF/friends, the stress too.

Also you need your BR to go up limits and soon your profits should allow you to party each month if you want, not just your birthday. And certainly not having to take out your whole BR either. "Wait for a better spot"

I dont think you need lots of money to have fun with friends, and if you do, its your birthday, let them pay! xD