Advice on staking someone?

• TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      A guy I don't know, but have spoken to online, is probably about to blow the last of his BR. He lives off micros, so we are not talking big money. I would maybe like to help out. And it might be good experience to dip my toes in staking.
      Any advice?
  • 11 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, TheLandlordUK

If you *only* know this person online, you should definitely make certain that you have some sort of verifiable ID.

At a minimum you should have confirmation of name and address.
      The usual means are driver's license, utility bill etc.

You should also have an agreement on reporting frequency, and I would suggest that you transfer the stake in small amounts following the reports.

Last thought -- if he has blown through a bankroll, is he really the person you want to stake?

Why not watch the staking forum here? There are a fair number of worthwhile horses appearing there.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      don't.

that is best advise
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Last thought -- if he has blown through a bankroll, is he really the person you want to stake?

Why not watch the staking forum here? There are a fair number of worthwhile horses appearing there.

Cheers,
      --VS
      Thanks.
      I can understand his BR blowing in Asia.
      There are lots of acceptable reasons for needing staking.

I didn't know there was staking section. I will have a look thx.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there TheLandLordUK,

Just in case you're like me and liable to get lost, here's the link to the staking forum:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1554

Best regards,

Mal.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Thanks guys.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      don't stake someone you don't know, there's a really high chance (50%?) that he'll F you.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      don't stake someone you don't know, there's a really high chance (50%?) that he'll F you.
      Thanks Galvin. I enjoy your threads and learn a lot, but read them on a tablet that I'm not signed with , and can't comment on the excellent advice. I will need to bookmark them on my laptop.
    • B0WSER
      B0WSER
      Bronze
      Hi Landlord,

I think the other guys are right you should meet with this guy before hand and discuss things...If this can't happen then I would suggest you didn't go for it.

If you are still looking to help someone out and help them improve I'm available ;) we can meet up the weekend and talk business...Just a thought.

BOWSER
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Stake people that have good reference or feedback history. It might sound very discouraging to some people seeking staking, but that's stone cold business relationships to you.

I wouldn't stake a person that I haven't heard about or haven't at least had a contact for a long while.
    • TheLandlordUK
      TheLandlordUK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by B0WSER
      If you are still looking to help someone out and help them improve I'm available ;) we can meet up the weekend and talk business...Just a thought.

BOWSER
      I doubt I could help you improve as I'm playing so baad lately! :f_biggrin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

^^this 100%

If a personal friend of mine blew his BR and he asked me for a staking I MIGHT consider it. A person I only spoke to online I'd probably never do it.

I've staked people before that I don't know but that are trustworthy because they are coaches here or very active members with a good record etc…

You're better of taking the money and buy some beers then staking someone that blew his roll in my opinion.

Best regards

RasTweet