[NL2-NL10] AKo overstacked

• caltabiano
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: , A:spade:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $1,00, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $1,00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1,00, Hero raises to $7,79 (All-In), BU folds, SB raises to $0,95 (All-In), BB folds, UTG+1 raises to $4,80 (All-In), MP1 calls $6,79, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($22,58) T:club: , 3:heart: , 5:spade:
      Turn: ($22,58) 2:club:
      River: ($22,58) J:diamond:

Final Pot: $22,58

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (Kc As)
      SB shows three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)
      UTG+1 shows high card ace with king kicker (Ks Ah)
      MP1 shows a pair of nines (9s 9c)

SB wins with three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)

Ok, so here's what happened. I had JUST completed my stack in the previous hand and I was gonna blind out. However, I got AK right afterwards. "Cool" - I thought.
      So, raise by UTG+1, call, call.. hero ??
      I know that in a regular situation I shuold just go all in. However, they say we should play tighter when we're overstacked just waiting to blind out.

So is it correct to go all in in this situation with AKo? Or should I be even tighter and play only KK, AA maybe?
  • 4 replies
    • DaPhunk
      Wow sick hand. What with rake and the increased stack i don't think the callers make it profitable to push in this situation. Looks like an SSS player so I think you are facing JJ+ AK+ here and you have just 39.86% equity.

Have a look at this article if you havn't already.

About what hands you play with when your stack is bigger; Its all about personal choice imo. Personally depending on my mood i play different hands when I've doubled up, but often only QQ+ From MP2 and earlier.
    • elhh82
      i'd probably have folded, judging from the open raiser's stats, he has 5% PFR and VPIP, and AKo is a bit weak to that range. Since we're overstacked, i would be even more inclined to fold to protect my stack.

I would only reraise AA/KK in this situation facing a tight raiser with an overstack.

In general, when overstacked, i would tighten up my range, but limp in with the lower pocket pairs (JJ - 77) in the SSS range. And i will rarely open push postflop as in many SSS situations but play it like a normal stack.
    • caltabiano
      Cool. Thanks for the helpful replies, both of you =) I'll definitely check out that article. I haven't done it yet. I'm a bit behind in my article studying. But I'm gonna catch up this week \o/
    • Gerv
      Hi Calta

Easy fold with a >25BB stack, I dont want to put that on the line whats at most a coinflip.

As previous posters said, you have 39.86% against a 5/5 shortie. Still if you call, the shortie will go all-in immediately and I wont feel safe when I hit a King or Ace let alone hitting them.

Please remove the results next time as people will be influenced by them
      - Gerv