Thinking in ranges and tight play

• KingKas
      KingKas
      Diamond
      Hi,

I play micro cash and micro tournaments. I am a very aggressive player, and in low cashgame it seems to work so far. But especially in tournaments early and midphase I feel, playing very conservatively is just the way to go.
      Still I would like to hear, if the successful players here, just rather play decent then exploiting every little +ev spot.

Now I have two questions:

1. How often and how exact do you think in ranges?

- Using a Hud, do you really give your opponents an exact range, or do you just use it as a guidance to narrow him to a range (PFR, 3bet etc)?

- If you use notes, how do you use the information of an opponent 3betting with hands like KJs or AQo.

(Is there something like and Optimal Game Theory concept, which works well most of the times, and runs very good if adjusted in the right situation.)

2. Has anyone risen the stakes smoothly by just playing tight and adjusting to overly aggressive players?

I read so much, that I often think, playing ABC Poker would be the wrong thing to do, even though my head tells me to just play decent to get to a higher level. But then in the end, I play very loose and aggressive, and rather adjust to players calling me more often.

Bonus question for live players: I wanna start playing live, how to adjust there? I have watched several times, and people tend to play very loose.
      Whats the way to go, to not get into too tricky situations. And how do you play, with people watching you. I personally smile a lot, because Im so happy to play live. But do you just play decent and keep the bluffs to a minimum?
      I feel like, bluffing is overrated and should only be used in position anyway, or in rare special situations which is basically mostly a fold OOP.

Sorry I am very confused and so seem to be my questions. I am just a lost lamb, with a lot information in the internet, but no idea what to improve on.
      I read many articles, but its hard to implement it in my game really. And it seems only geniuses can use them really well.

I would appreciate any kind of help!:

- An answer would be awesome
      - A link to an article which might help me would be awesome
      - Any tip from players who found a simple way to put yourself in the right mindset to play properly and get higher would be frickin' awesome.
      - Or just any tip, which makes me and any other overthinking newbie get good. (The simpler, the better).

Thanks in advance.

Lukas

PS: You can tell me if i should rewrite confusing passages :)
  • 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by KingKas
      1. How often and how exact do you think in ranges?

- Using a Hud, do you really give your opponents an exact range, or do you just use it as a guidance to narrow him to a range (PFR, 3bet etc)?

- If you use notes, how do you use the information of an opponent 3betting with hands like KJs or AQo.

(Is there something like and Optimal Game Theory concept, which works well most of the times, and runs very good if adjusted in the right situation.)
      Hi Lukas,
      Awsome first post!

Welcome to the forums!.

Q1
      I TRY to think in ranges every hand.
      I use the raised-first-in by position more than vpip/pfr to gauge their possible range.

If you can accurately judge their player type, then you already know their ranges.
      You need to adjust to nits as well as to LAGs

Have you read The 8 Player Types - How to Get Their Money

2. Has anyone risen the stakes smoothly by just playing tight and adjusting to overly aggressive players?
      Q2
      I think that it is still possible to beat up to about NL10 playing just solid by-the-book poker. For myself, that seems to be the ceiling. We'll see what others think.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Lukas

We should think in ranges, but it's something that is hard and takes practice. All the time we are developing new strategy content and I think the "hand reading" content should help you.

Click here for the hand reading articles

You'll see that I linked you to all the silver articles, but you'll see that the 2nd article is about hand reading already.

I do use a HUD but I don't think we should look into it to much yet. We have to improve our own game in the micro's and not try to exploit just 1 opponent.

Notes are really useful but only in certain situations. If you see a villain take a weird line, write it down and maybe you can use it the next time you are up against him again. For example I see someone Cbetting half pot and I raised as a semi bluff, now I'll make a note and keep an eye on his sizing. Maybe I've got a bet sizing tell!

I hope that made some sense.

Regards

RasTweet