• Harrier88
      All right, here we go.

I've been playing poker since early 2012, but originally only as a SNG/MTT player. I made the switch to cash games around September last year. I usually play shorthanded NL5-10 Zoom games on Pokerstars, but recently, I've mainly been playing regular SH NL2 tables on iPoker because that's where I have my tracked accounts.

I noticed that there seem to be some fundamental leaks in my game, but I can't really point my finger on them. Therefore, I decided to "relearn to walk" and take the NL Beginner's course.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

As Rocky put it: To show that I'm "not just another bum from the neighborhood". :f_grin:
      Seriously though, it's more about the personal achievement than about the money. In any competitive environment, it is only considered good sportsmanship to try to do your best.
      Also, I come from a family that has always been very anti-gambling, and thinks that even at games like poker, it is virtually impossible to win. Some of my friends have a similar opinion, and I'd like to prove them all wrong.

While I personally don't think I have what it takes to be a professional any time in the future, I'd like to eventually evolve my game to a point where it can be considered an additional source of income.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Quite a few, and mostly mental ones.

Generally speaking, I seem to take the games to personally. I always hate to finish my sessions with a loss, and keep playing even though I know I'm not in the right mindset. Big losses are usually considered a personal defeat, and I easily lose my confidence when I catch myself making mistakes.
      Sometimes, I have a hard time telling when I got unlucky and when I made mistakes. I'm sure I have misjudged the reason for my losses both ways in the past.

I also have trouble putting my opponents on hands, and I'm often clueless about how to handle aggressive lines. Often enough, I seem to turn into a nit postflop, but after a while, I've had enough and make calls that are simply too loose.

Sometimes, I make bets or calls without a real plan of what to do if my opponent keeps showing resistance on later streets. I also seem to have a tendency to grow too attached to my draws, at times.

EDIT: I noticed another weakness in a recent session. I have trouble laying down second best hands. Apparently I get so attached to my strong, but vulnerable made hands that I want to avoid getting bluffed out of the pot by any means possible, even if I know I'm most likely behind. Usually, I go into check/call mode in those situations.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight means playing only few, but strong hands. Playing aggressive means making moves like betting or raising instead of passive ones like checking or calling.

The tight aggressive player therefore plays only a few, carefully selected hands, but actively builds a pot when he does get them.
      This playing style is profitable because many players, especially at the lower limits, play too many hands and play them too passively, which means that they end up paying off better hands by tight aggressive players.
  • 4 replies
    • Jakkosh
      Hey Harrier, always see your very active on the forums and jus thought id say hi as a fellow student! See you in the coaching :D
    • Harrier88
      Nice to meet you again, Jakkosh! How is your poker career going?
      You probably won't find me in the coachings, though, since I mainly stick to the recordings.

Which reminds me of a question I would like to ask the coaches:
      I was recently watching the recording of the lesson 1 coaching from three years ago.
      Someone asked whether a SH player should use more careful BRM than a FR player. The coach said yes, but was then interrupted by a hand he needed to comment on.

So what would be considered good BRM for shorthanded games? The article on shorthanded theory recommends 25 buy-ins, which is the same BRM as the one suggested for FR players.
    • BogdanPS
      Hello Harrier88,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework. It's very detailed and shows you are dedicated to this :)

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Re: BRM

It's true that SH games would ideally have a larger BRM than FR games simply because there is slightly more variance in SH games.

With that being said I think 30 BI for SH, 25 for FR is a good start (as long as your shots are for 5-10 BI and then you drop down if you lose those).

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Harrier88
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      as long as your shots are for 5-10 BI and then you drop down if you lose those.
      I'm not completely sure if I understand what you mean by that.

Do you mean that I should move down after losing 5-10 BI when I'm trying to play at a new limit, regardless of my bankroll?

If so, should I wait until I have the extra 5-10 BI before I move up (e.g. move up to NL10 with $350-$400 instead of just $300)?

My next homework should be up some time this weekend, by the way.