metalmonkey80

• metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi fellow students and lecturers.

I started playing poker for the first time about 6 months ago. Mainly on PKR to start with then was recommended to use Poker Stars which was a bit of a shock for a beginner.
      I found myself playing the free rolls and bonus tickets along with FPP to get use to the speed and amount of different games. Over all I have fared well reaching the prizes in quite a few games.

I never looked at the idea of poker being a wadge earner and thus the reason for now clearing time to sit down and learn.

So far I have stared by playing muti table NL micro. following the chart and done alright. today I left $8 down. but other days I have broken even or been around $2-4 up.

HOME WORK QUESTIONS
      ==================

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

To be able to make money from home. I enjoy the game, even if I loose. Tied of being stressed out working for pennies and following everyone else.

But Mainly I feel that to play poker at a higher level will be my main goal and reason for taking such with a serious approach.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Of late I have found that I played poker for the fun of it. But even then I felt that the same problems that held me back then are still with me today. Maybe a bad habit or two as well. For me when I have been playing tournaments I have found myself to be loose at the start of the games, this tactic has work on most occasions and got me into a good position with stack early on. but then after I become very tight and find my self unwilling to part with my chips on high calls. This is where I reach my limit in the game so far. I have made a few final table and best came second, introducing me to my first experience of head up.

With the way I have been working a lot this too has also been a massive distraction for me while playing a game. But after a horrid loss of years worth of work on a laptop and no back up I decided to ditch working, take a holiday learning poker.

So new slate and starting from scratch.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive is when you only play high pairs and top range cards. after hitting the flop a TAG will tend to bet high / aggressively.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello metalmonkey80,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework. It's very detailed !!!

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      NL Beginners Course Lesson 2

HOME WORK

Hello again.

Many thanks for your response and feedback on my first home work.
      Although I have now read and filed a homework based on what I have learned in lesson 2 I feel I shall still be reviewing this lesson over the next few weeks to really drum in all the information. Something to add to my focus drill list.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Since sitting down and applying time to 'get it right' with cash games i have found myself playing to the letter of the starting chart. This has really helped me in gaining a solid feel for this type of game. And by following it i have found I break even or am a few $ up from whence i started.

But today I approached this again with the question in mind. What could i play differently.
      Well from my adjustments I found I played Suited Aces more and made a bit on stealing the pot Pre-Flop. My biggest issue today was with a crazy fish who's luck was in and managed to steal or rightfully win about $10 from me.

No matter what bait I used at the correct and right time I believe at this point while trying to get use to the idea of changing the chart I became distracted and allowed myself to tilt for the sake of a fish.

I played my positions the same way. raising in the CO to SB position should no other payer call or raise that hand. The range included A2+. QKs, K10s+

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Nl5 Tt

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?

Equity of AKo will be 46.32%

I calculated this with the help of equilab. Very helpful piece of software.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi metalmonkey80

Good job with the 2nd homework.

The key to making changes to the starting hand chart is to make small incremental changes rather than make many changes at one time.

So come up with an idea, try to apply it and see if it works (ie: steal wider).

Best of luck,

Bogdan