BTN defend strategy vs Resteal

• Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Whats your BTN 3bet calling range vs a reg SB resteal of 10%,15%,20%? I chose SB and not BB for the sake of simplicity as SB 3betting range is almost always depolarized.

Lets say we raise to 3bb and he 3bets to 10bb.

Hoping this thread can generate some interesting discussion.
  • 10 replies
    • Lefty85
      Lefty85
      Bronze
      Against a 10% i wouldn't defend much:

88-TT, A-Js, A-Qs, A-Qo, K-Qs

4-bet calling all better, folding or 4-bet folding all worse.

Against wider ranges i add most broadways and maybe 66-77. Mostly 4-betting some more because playing 3-bet pots without initiative is tough.
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lefty85

Against wider ranges i add most broadways and maybe 66-77. Mostly 4-betting some more because playing 3-bet pots without initiative is tough.
      I agree with that but i can sometimes call with 65s-T9s couse this type of hands plays reely good postflop. :f_grin:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by stttNNN
      Originally posted by Lefty85

I agree with that but i can sometimes call with 65s-T9s couse this type of hands plays reely good postflop. :f_grin:
      This has the advantage of looking really, really fishy if you flop two pair or similar and get to showdown with it (win or lose).

It also had the advantage of being really easy to get away from if you miss.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Lefty85
      Lefty85
      Bronze
      I only call with SC's if we are somewhat deep and I'm against a very tight range.

I might call IP with SC's if I'm against a very wide range of hands. In that case I rather play high SC's (8-7s - J-Ts)because i have more chance of outflopping mid PP's.
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

It also had the advantage of being really easy to get away from if you miss.

lol speak for yourself.

Seriously though, it depends a lot on how villain plays postflop in 3bet pots. I'm always looking for specific leaks, i.e. maybe he bet/folds too much on the turn, so I'll flat a ton of suited gappers and float flops and shove turns if I have at least a gutshot. Without any solid reads, vs a normal ~15% range, I'm usually defending 66+, all Axs, maybe T8s+, 87s+, all suited broadways, and KJo+. This is just an approximation off the top of my head. Then 4bet bluffing some of the weaker offsuit broadways and weaker SCs/SGs.
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      do anybody have some kind off leak that we are looking for when we decide to call a resteal? something more than just CBet/fold OTF/OTT or X/F OTT. any tips would be nice. :)
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      bump

do anybody have some kind off leak that we are looking for when we decide to call a resteal? something more than just CBet/fold OTF/OTT or X/F OTT. any tips would be nice. :)
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by stttNNN
      bump

I think it is the most important to get idea rougly about his
      Value/bluff ratio on each street and if he is bluff heavy we call down wider,
      and raise flop or shove turn with draws, otherwise we fold more often.

We can realize his ratio by looking at his preflop range
      and cbetting stats on each street how good he hits the board, and if anything is
      Out of balanced it is leak we can exploit it.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Also quite often leaks are bet size tells timing tells
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GingerKid
      Also quite often leaks are bet size tells timing tells
      thank you for the answer GingerKid! :f_grin: