bet sizing wrong? (NL200$)

• stttNNN
      Just played this hand and think i did a misstake on turn when I bet to mush? my plan is to go bet flop and bet turn and try to chk down riv with my TP. could i have done smoething else in this spot? :f_grin:

$5/$10 No Limit Holdem
      10 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by

UTG ($1,603.20) 160bb
      UTG+1 ($2,220.40) 222bb
      UTG+2 ($1,866.14) 187bb
      MP1 ($1,000.05) 100bb
      MP2 ($438.26) 44bb
      MP3 ($807.02) 81bb
      stttNNN (CO) ($1,106.41) 111bb
      BTN ($322.50) 32bb
      SB ($2,266.78) 227bb
      BB ($538.94) 54bb

Pre-Flop: ($15, 10 players) stttNNN is CO J:diamond: K:club:
      UTG calls $10, 2 folds, MP1 calls $10, MP2 calls $10, 1 fold, stttNNN raises to $65, 2 folds, BB calls $55, UTG folds, MP1 calls $55, MP2 calls $55

Flop: 7:heart: K:heart: 5:club: ($275, 4 players)
      BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $33, stttNNN raises to $203.50, BB folds, MP1 calls $203.50, MP2 folds

Turn: 3:club: ($697.13, 2 players)
      MP1 checks, stttNNN bets $490, MP1 goes all-in $731.55, stttNNN folds

Final Pot: $1,433.45
      stttNNN shows
      J:diamond: K:club:

MP1 wins $1,916.55 (net +$926.50)

MP2 lost $88
      stttNNN lost $758.50
      BB lost $55
      UTG lost $10
  • 4 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      **Note that I'm not really qualified to have an opinion at this limit.**

Better Kings and sets would play this hand this way.

Were you betting for value -- trying to get draws or worse Kings to stay in and pay you off?

Or were you trying to fold something out of the pot?

OTF I think that is the bet that is too high. It looks way too much like a bluff to me, and if MP thought so too, it is understandable that he x/r the turn.

At its basic level, you have top pair with a mediocre kicker.
      There is some good dead money in the pot too.

Don't you want to get to showdown cheaply here?
      OTT what worse hand is going to call?

Final thought -- OTT your bet means that now almost 70% of your former stack is in the middle. If you're going to play chicken w/ top pair, your bet hands villain the chance to make you flinch first. I'm not saying I would do this, but ANY bet on the turn gives villain that chance.

If he really DOES have a set or a better king, you'll find out on the river soon enough.

• Ganimator
      1) 4 way flop , even small bets are much much stronger then heads up pot.

Flop) Your raise is way too big you set up extremely awkward STP ratio. I would raise to about 135-160$. I don't see the point of the huge raise, Ahigh flush draw should just jam flop, sets i guess can do either. If this is a reg I don't mind a really small raise for protection to like 90-100$ , your hand is not strong enough to raise/stack off and is most likely not good enough to raise flop, jam turn.

2) Sizing makes no sense:

You leave yourself 240 behind, you can't fold to a shove.

I mean your hand is probably not good enough to bet this big for value after he calls your flop raise, I can't see a worse Kx calling. So i rather check back call down on blanks , hope he bluffs with a horribly played flush draw.

The other option would be to bet small(200$-250$) to induce a shove from a flush draw, or an optimistic peel from 56s. As played, can't see why your folding after the massive bet, the price you get is way too good (you only need 12% equity to call) and he might show up with a flush or combo draw some % of the time or even 75, maybe random spazz hand. Also by betting smaller you leave yourself room to fold to a shove.

His most likely hand is a set , since when he see's the huge bet and two flush draws he definitely does not want to see a river.

Bet,bet, check back line is proabably ok with smaller sizing. But I would prefer checking turn, calling most rivers depending on his sizing and the card after having raised flop.

I've only played up to nl200 6max , so your probably much better than me but this is my opinion :)
    • oblioo
      pre: I wouldn't necessarily want to make the pot super big 4way+ with KJo, considering it's very likely that everyone will call your raise. Personally I prefer overlimping, but I could be wrong.

flop: I agree with other posters about raising smaller. Flatting is obv +EV and raising for protection/value is reasonable and also +EV, but when that is your reason for betting/raising, your sizing should be small.

turn: Just shove! Since villain limped pre it is very unlikely that he has a better Kx, and since the flop is so wet he would have likely 3bet with 55 and 77. What that means is that it's very likely he has a 65hh type hand, so just shove for protection and maybe you get value if he calls. If you bet smaller then that then you basically give him decent implied odds to call turn and only put more money in on the river when he improves.
    • stttNNN
      Thx alot for the nice comments! :)

as topic says it is NL200$!!! im playing on a swedish site so the curency is wrong.. :f_biggrin:

but anyway thx alot. I think im improving my game for evey hand i put up here. :f_love: