Poker terms out of poker

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I was watching the Olympics last weeks when I heard the term "Bubble" used in one of the events.

I can't recall which exact sport it was but I watched a lot of bobsleigh etc and it could have been that only the top 20 after Heat 1 & 2 proceed to Heat 3 and they used the term "Bubble" for when one of the teams didn't make the cut.

So it got me thinking, what other sports, hobbies, jobs etc use terms we usually associate with Poker? Any more?
  • 6 replies
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      I play League of Legends and terms "all-in" and "shove" are constantly being used. :D
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      There are quite a few poker related terms that are used in the mainstream, I believe.

Some examples would be "up the ante", "call someones bluff" (or any use of the word bluff), and "the chips are down".
      According to wikipedia, the term "passing the buck" is also said to have originated from poker, because people once used knives with buckhorn handles as dealer buttons, which could be passed on if one player chose to "sit out".

Sometimes phrases like "play the hand you're dealt" or "know when to fold 'em" are also used as metaphors in real life situations.

I'm sure there's a lot more...
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      I'm afraid the 'bubble' term was used in a similar sense in basketball way before the Moneymaker era. It's debatable whether its origin is in poker.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I'll admit.

I say "I Call" when I think think someone's lying :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that Poker created the term "Bubble" I had just never thought of it being a word out of poker as I had never heard it. Now that I have it makes perfect sense to use it in so many sports events, I just instantly think poker :rolleyes:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I always thought Bubble was a poker term!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Bubbles are used to describe stock market inflations, too.

"I hate to burst your bubble" is also a common lead-in to laying disappointing new on to some over-enthusiastic hotshot.

Referring to a pool of money as the "pot" also occurs outside of poker, but where did it come from first?
      --VS