Tournament play?

• miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      hi guys, i realy want to start play MTT :) but as u can know there is no video of strategy at MTT ... yes there is set of videos of late stage mtt (platinium) but it will be very nice to have some vids on early stages... if there is one coach playing mtt could you demonstrate strategy to MTT at for example 90 or 180 people sng?
      thank you
  • 10 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Mostly I play MTTs. I think video of early stage will be boring little bit. You should play top hands only. At least I play only few hands during first hour. Some turneys 2 or 3 hands only.
      I remember one turney where I doubled up in first five minutes and second hand I played after more than a hour.
      So I realy don't know if early stage video should be usefull. Middle stage should be more interesting, at least for me :) . Especially when bubble is close.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      It's like SNG but 15 minits in SNG is 1 hour in MTT.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Russian comunity has nice MTT vids. If you understand russian its a good place where to go.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      thank you ... i cant speak russian but my language is similar so i will try it
    • grummeler
      grummeler
      Bronze
      i think there willbe some live coachings next few weeks and i hope well get some strategy videos also.
      but the starting stages as mentioned aboth are a bit boring, although there are some fine spots to mix your play a bit.
      and we`ve got to say something about the lose rebuy tournaments where the value of your good but not monster starting hands raise up alot.
      (so will your AQs,AJs, 88+)
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hi Miskokvo

IMO if you are a good SNG player MTTs will be an easy transition. Early stages play tight... the SHC is perfect for this... middle stages when blinds start increasing loosen up a bit... I like to try and build my stack from late position by stealing the blinds and raising 1 limper and c-bet....

Late stages... push or fold pretty much the same as SNG... abuse the bubble and remember that it's all about the final table...

Some vid's on the middle stages would be good though...
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      There is almost nothing similiar with mtt's and sng's.... The early stages are different and the late stages are also completely different...

For the early stages tight is right...

If you find some suited connectors or small pocket pairs in late position your getting great odds to limp...
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I agree that there are a lot of differences... It's just that a good SNG background makes for a great foundation for MTTs....

Early stages I still feel are similar to SNG's except that yeah I'll play suited connectors, suited aces etc especially if there are a lot of limpers... I will always limp small pockets, even from early positions and play them on set value....

The only difference here with SNGs is there are a couple extra hands to play here... but I would play these in SNGs if the situations were right...

When I am sitting between 13 and 24 BB I will still use the SHC charts and build my stack using blind steals and stealraises... all stuff that I learnt from the SNG articles...

Late stages... I play push/fold when less than 13 BB... 13+BB I play loose on the bubble, steal blinds etc.... that's all pretty much the same as SNG just on a bigger scale...

I will say that when I started playing MTT's I stuck to SNG strategy pretty solidly and did pretty well.... since then my MTT game has evolved a lot but still I will say that there are basic fundamentals that are similar....
    • grummeler
      grummeler
      Bronze
      true there are many similiar ideas.
      but there are a lot of different aprroaches also.
      in the mTTs there are a lot of different styles avaiable.
      if you are a good lag player you can suck out all the little fishes out there in a MTT. but this maybe true fpr SNGS also.
      i think you need a lot more patience in a MTT because there will never be shorthanded tables !!! :D
    • cristy007
      cristy007
      Bronze