Play against computer

• xyzgra
      xyzgra
      Bronze
      Are there any free(or cheap) programs out there that you can play poker against the computer?

I find that play money poker on pokerstars is not the same as playing for real money.

I am a really bad player; I lose my stack very very quickly, so playing real games for practice is kinda out of the question. [nl2 has me beat]
  • 18 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey xyzgra,

There may well be poker simulators out there but I wouldn't necessarily trust that they run similar to Pokerrooms RNGs (Random Number Generators). As for playing against computer players I would be concerned about what level of AI (Artificial Intelligence) the program uses.

We all generally start out as poor players because we don't know enough about the mechanics of the game and we can't identify good or bad spots.

So what do we do? We read strategy articles, watch videos, post hands for evaluation and post things we don't understand here in Beginner's Questions.

We have an awesome community here and we all started out knowing little, but with some hard work, dedication and willingness to learn it is all within reach.

Why don't you take a look at our NL Beginners Course. This will help give you the necessary tools to beat NL2.

If you have any further questions then fire away.

Regards

Laz
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I'm assuming you want to play for real money against computers? If so then I don't think this is possible.

You can play with Play Money against computers on some Poker Apps on your mobile (maybe they have desktop versions too) or buy WSOP for the Xbox/Playstation :)

How come you don't want to play with Play Money at Stars?

ALSO! You're on a Poker Strategy site, knuckle down, read some articles, watch some videos, attend some coaching and then go crush nl2!

If you want help beating nl2 then so say and myself or a fellow mod will be more than happy to point in the right direction.
    • TheNutsCracked
      TheNutsCracked
      Silver
      Xbox live arcade has WSOP: Full House Pro

It has a ranking system so the higher you get the more serious people get about the game, just as serious as cash games without the risk.
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xyzgra
      Are there any free(or cheap) programs out there that you can play poker against the computer?

I find that play money poker on pokerstars is not the same as playing for real money.

I am a really bad player; I lose my stack very very quickly, so playing real games for practice is kinda out of the question. [nl2 has me beat]
      Why not play the astronomy free rolls on stars. This is a great way to learn tournament play. Finish top 75 and you get a ticket to a weekly round 2 where $2,000 is up for grabs in a free roll. This way you get to build a bank roll without it costing you anything. Also they can be fun to play. Combining this with some strategy videos/courses here and the sky is the limit.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by TheMarxBros3

Why not play the astronomy free rolls on stars. This is a great way to learn tournament play. Finish top 75 and you get a ticket to a weekly round 2 where $2,000 is up for grabs in a free roll. This way you get to build a bank roll without it costing you anything. Also they can be fun to play. Combining this with some strategy videos/courses here and the sky is the limit.
      I second the motion.
      I play these all the time, and have made tickets on pretty much all of them except stud and omaha (so far).

I actually got into online poker when my company blackberry had a texas hold'em game on it. I pretty soon figured out how it "thinks" and crushed it.

After that I played play money on PokerStars and the deal was that I would not deposit until I had 100K.

So yes, there ARE "play against the computer" apps, but they are so easy to beat it may actually do your "real" game some harm.

Peace,
      --VS
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Fwiw, there are sites which buy fulltilt play money for about $4 per 1 mil. The highest stakes of play money at fulltilt I think is 25k/50k, which is something like nl20.
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I did try some demos of ai-pokers and found them helpful at the time. But as the other points out it will not really make a big change.

But the real change was when I started using a tracker. It is useful to spot your mistakes and flaws. I guess it could be useful later on to spot fish but so far the most importent fish to analyze is me myself. For a couple of months ago I added "Leakbuster" and it spotted down a couple of new weak spots in my gameplay.

The Strategy-lessons here are good. They helped me a lot. If you play at Pokerstars their Pokerschool online isnt bad either, it´s a good start but the material here covers so much more.
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze

Hi xyzgra,

a really nice and funny game is "Governor of Poker 2"
      I have it as PC-Version - but now when i researched because of your thread i found out, that you can play it for free online and also on mobile.
      The best is, you can make your opponents pissed of and the graphic is nice - would be funny to have those tablelayouts on PS lol...
      Believe me, you will love it!!!

Regards NVKS
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by acetbfish
      Fwiw, there are sites which buy fulltilt play money for about $4 per 1 mil. The highest stakes of play money at fulltilt I think is 25k/50k, which is something like nl20.
      haha this is awesome,
      I just can't understand people who buy that chips back.. bcs they are obviously reselling these chips if they buy it... so there are ppl buying play money chips :facepalm: Why not just trying few shots at NL2 with 5-10 bucks..
    • xyzgra
      xyzgra
      Bronze
      Wow(I didn't expect this many replies). I think I will play free rolls to gain experience. I am going through the material on the site and so far it has been quite helpful. Yesterday I lost 14 buy-ins today only 1. Thx alot.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheNutsCracked
      Xbox live arcade has WSOP: Full House Pro

It has a ranking system so the higher you get the more serious people get about the game, just as serious as cash games without the risk.
      I've played that!

Lots of people who think they're pro but wont play for real =)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NijeVaznoKoSam
      That game was pretty much my introduction to poker six years ago! :f_love: (though I played the predecessor, and only the free version found online)
      If I remember right, your only option at the start of this game is to play an STT for half your roll, so if there's one thing the game doesn't teach you, it's correct bankroll management.
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      That game was pretty much my introduction to poker six years ago! :f_love: (though I played the predecessor, and only the free version found online)
      If I remember right, your only option at the start of this game is to play an STT for half your roll, so if there's one thing the game doesn't teach you, it's correct bankroll management.
      :D you're right, but usually you also not buy whole cities from your bankroll :D
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      :D you're right, but usually you also not buy whole cities from your bankroll :D
      Then the sequel introduced the possibility to take loans in case you bust your roll. Another great lesson for beginning players. :f_wink:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by acetbfish
      I've heard of these, but any site I've found pays substantially less than that.

Besides, I like to keep 'em just so I can see a 7-digit number in my cashier :coolface:

Peace,
      --VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I think I will play free rolls to gain experience.
      That the best thing to do imo. You are playing against real people, you can make some real money and not vs a bot with play money. And if you can cash a couple of those freerolls you can play real money again!

Gl with your journey!

Regards

RasTweet
    • xyzgra
      xyzgra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      I think I will play free rolls to gain experience.
      That the best thing to do imo. You are playing against real people, you can make some real money and not vs a bot with play money. And if you can cash a couple of those freerolls you can play real money again!

Gl with your journey!

Regards

RasTweet
      Thanks
      Starting to improve. Placed 11th in a 360 man sit n go.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Next stop: Final table!

Well done! :)