Quit Smoking Challenge

    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Hey,

      So i have a challenge that i will quit smoking in the next 30 days which is going to be really difficult so i decided to post the challenge here to track my progress and maybe give myself some more motivation.

      I am only 22 years old but i have been smoking for 12 years already VEERY -EV

      Right now i am trying to smoke maximum 5 cigarettes a day which i've failed like everyday.

      So no more excuses maximum 5 cigarettes a day and if i dont suceed i will giveaway $10 everyday i fail.

      Gl.
  • 92 replies
    • JJWic3
      JJWic3
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.06.2012 Posts: 338
      Hey,

      So you're 22 and you started 12 years ago, that means you were 10? :f_mad:
      I was a smoker as well for 6 years in my highschool and university student years, but quitting was the easiest thing for me to do. Once you realize that it is useless and doesn't have any positive effect you should be able to throw it away.

      Anyway GL with quitting! :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.12.2010 Posts: 3,758
      $10 to who/where?

      I'll take it.

      Want my stars name? :D

      But seriously, best of luck on the challenge, so by day 30 you expect to be smoking none? Or still cutting down slightly?
    • gormless
      gormless
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.01.2010 Posts: 164
      Try Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking book:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551

      Only thing that worked for me.

      And yeah you can't give up by reducing number of cigarettes. One puff is enough to keep the addiction alive. Same thing with patches, you're still feeding the addiction.
    • Mark1790
      Mark1790
      Gold
      Joined: 14.09.2010 Posts: 239
      Originally posted by gormless
      Try Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking book:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551

      Only thing that worked for me.

      And yeah you can't give up by reducing number of cigarettes. One puff is enough to keep the addiction alive. Same thing with patches, you're still feeding the addiction.
      +1
      Good luck with your challenge.
      I think your taking on the wrong challenge though!!
      At least its a step in the right direction.
      You can't give up if your still smoking only one a day.
      Just set a date and go for the cold turkey. :f_thumbsup:
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by JJWic3
      Hey,

      So you're 22 and you started 12 years ago, that means you were 10? :f_mad:
      I was a smoker as well for 6 years in my highschool and university student years, but quitting was the easiest thing for me to do. Once you realize that it is useless and doesn't have any positive effect you should be able to throw it away.

      Anyway GL with quitting! :)
      Yeah, Some grow up to quick! Thanks for the support!
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by gormless
      Try Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking book:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551

      Only thing that worked for me.

      And yeah you can't give up by reducing number of cigarettes. One puff is enough to keep the addiction alive. Same thing with patches, you're still feeding the addiction.
      I've heard of that one before i think but i will check it out again thanks.

      Yeah i know you are right but my plan is to translate from cigarettes to other nicotine product which is not deadly so i think my method will work.
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      @Mark and Thatguymatt, Thanks for the support!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 5,622
      Well this is a seriously good challenge and good luck with it.

      Be determined and find other things to do when you usually smoke.
      I started even earlier and ended up a pro at it.

      I could say a lot about this subject from a personally experienced point of view, but it would be just words on the page, so I'll watch with interest and wish you well again.

      Really hope you can work it out,

      Mal.
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.09.2013 Posts: 216
      Wow, great! I'm quitting as well :)
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by jawoftheox
      Wow, great! I'm quitting as well :)
      That's awesome! Gl with that!
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      I aaaam soo tilted 6/5 already today!!

      Need to cut down on coffee also to make this work.

      Tomorrow is another day and i WILL make it tomorrow
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Next poster in this thread will be getting the first $10

      I will be paying out to hopefully not to many when the challenge is over :f_cry:
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.07.2008 Posts: 2,019
      Just wanted to wish you the best of luck fella in giving up smoking.

      I gave up in October 2013 after being a 20/25 a day smoker for the past 30 years so i know how hard it can be but its so worth it in the end mate.

      Currently 5 months smoke free :)
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Joined: 29.03.2010 Posts: 555
      op have you considered getting into ecigs? i was a heavy smoker like you and i havnt smoked in over a year with no difficulty, i actually prefer it.

      if im entitled to $10 please send it to a charity.

      gl
    • SirTradeAlot
      SirTradeAlot
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.12.2013 Posts: 180
      non smoking makes fat and nervous :coolface:
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.09.2013 Posts: 216
      Originally posted by SirTradeAlot
      non smoking makes fat and nervous :coolface:
      Yes, but you can easily avoid that. Whenever you want to smoke eat some healthy snack, for example I'm going to get a bunch of grapes :)
      And nervous, yea, it's all about breathing. Smoking relaxes you because you take deep simultaneous breaths.

      OP, I suggest cut it completely. 5 a day is the same as 20 a day, it doesn't really matter. It just make you think about smoking and counting cigarettes.

      You just need to take three puffs to get the needed nicotine. Habit makes you smoke whole cigarette.
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g
      Just wanted to wish you the best of luck fella in giving up smoking.

      I gave up in October 2013 after being a 20/25 a day smoker for the past 30 years so i know how hard it can be but its so worth it in the end mate.

      Currently 5 months smoke free :)
      Thats really good, well done!

      Accept my friend req so i can send you the money when the challenge is over.

      Thanks for the support
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by badgerer
      op have you considered getting into ecigs? i was a heavy smoker like you and i havnt smoked in over a year with no difficulty, i actually prefer it.

      if im entitled to $10 please send it to a charity.

      gl
      No not really but it could be a good idea, Because the biggest addiction is psychological.

      Thanks for support!
    • raise2much
      raise2much
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.01.2013 Posts: 274
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Well this is a seriously good challenge and good luck with it.

      Be determined and find other things to do when you usually smoke.
      I started even earlier and ended up a pro at it.

      I could say a lot about this subject from a personally experienced point of view, but it would be just words on the page, so I'll watch with interest and wish you well again.

      Really hope you can work it out,

      Mal.
      Yeah i think it is really hard right now to figure out something else to do the times you used to smoke.

      Thanks for the support gadget!