Mind Set

• htghguuh
      Why is it that after 1 or 2 bad beats my game goes too the wall?

I have been playing now for 18 months and recently over about a 6 week period managed to accumulate a substantial bank roll.
      From$100 i made $800 .
      1 was really doing well and it was hard work, back checking my play ,putting people on ranges ,not joining cash rings and diving in .,studying play before getting involved.
      Needless to say i rewarded my self and withdrew halve my bankroll.
      I then re enterd play at the same level i was playing at .Thinking i would make the money back easily.
      I got a bad beat

88 4betl
      flop 8 10 3
      i check vilain raises i go all in
      turn 5
      river 10
      I put him on a 10 A
      HE HAD 10 3
      needles to say i was furious,and in one day lost the rest off my bankroll trying to punp it back up.
      I consistently get like this loosing all in one day after a few losing hands .

MY question is how do i get over these bad beat situations?
  • 6 replies
    • raprockx
      I think the main problem lies here - "Thinking I would make the money back easily." You should treat your opponents as equals and never overestimate how good you are. After bad beats I'd usually stop my session and check what I did wrong, after that I'd take a break and start playing again, it seems like you're too outcome dependent and it causes you to tilt/make bad plays and have a bad mindset.

I cannot analyze the hand, but I'm certain I'd call the raise and wouldn't push an all in, the turn would be a tricky decision for me though.

Don't take my opinion for granted as I only started playing recently, but that is how I'd go with things for myself and from what information I've gathered so far.
    • RasTweet
      Hey htghguuh

I'm sorry to hear you lost your roll :(

A big part of being a winning player is having a solid mindset. Whenever you feel you aren't playing your best game you should stop playing! I used to think "I'm still good" but I wasn't. Now once I got a bad beat and feel the slightest tilt I stop. We want to make money and thats not going to happen when we are tilting and playing our B or C game.

What did surprised me was that you lost $400 in one day. This makes me think (and I'm sorry if I'm wrong) that you didn't follow proper bankroll management. Take a look in this article for a proper bankroll management. This prevents you from losing your bankroll.

Also I don't like chasing losses. Some people can really do that but I can't and I usually and up losing more :facepalm: A lot of people have a stop-loss limit as well. For example if I lose 2-3 BI I stop playing and take a break. How long the break is depends how tilted I am. Sometimes I'm playing well but I'm just not getting the hands. Then I just take a break of an hour or so. If I'm really tilting and spewed those 2 stacks I usually stop playing for the rest of the day.

Best regards

• VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by raprockx
      I think the main problem lies here - "Thinking I would make the money back easily."
      This, plus "trying to win it back"

You cannot win by trying. Win or lose has nothing to do with effort. Win is when you play each hand individually, making your decisions solely on the merits of that hand alone. Lose will happen.

There is a book, "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler.
      It costs about 3 NL 5 buy-ins.

There is also a lot of good material in our "Learning to Win" forum.

Best of luck,
    • Webbybear

I used to be like this; I'd make a bad decision and I'd be thinking ''well, I only have half a stack now so I may as well shove with anything''. Naturally I'd get beat and then it got worse.... I'd do something erratic like shove my bank roll in to an all in game cos I was so tilted.

There's a few things that have helped though:

1.) I'm older. I am a lot calmer in general than when I was 21. This means I very rarely ''lose it''.

2.) Breaks. Like someone else here mentioned, I used to think ''nah, I'm ok''. When I really wasn't. Forget poker for an hour, two hours, an entire day.......

3.) Remember this is a game you enjoy but have other interests as well so when you are struggling you're not thinking ''omg I'm such a bad poker player and it's my life''.

Just my thoughts :)
      I guess mindsets can improve with age but also you can become more immune to tilt the longer you play the game.

I am currently playing Hyper Turbo Sit and Go's and I've yet to destroy any furniture/mouse/body parts. If I played these games 3-4 years ago then I doubt that would have been the case!

• htghguuh
      Tnanx for the brilliant reply .
      Yea the major problemb i was having was closing the table and the site ,and walking away,I just could not. I didn't like getting beat and no matter wot i was going get that individual and my money back i just doesn't work.

Play each hand individually ,AND ON ITS VALUE YES I DO LIKE THAT,I checked my sessions from that day and i had reverted to my old style off play ,going in and chasing flush-draws all the way to the river,losing 70% off them ,big losses on the JQ OKo etc.

Bankroll management plan that i was adhering to was thrown out the window.Stakes to high.

I really enjoy poker so will have to save up now ,need 400 to start again and back to grinding.
      Thanx for the site as well really good value. :s_cool: