10,000 hours of practice

• peche025
      So I found this article on the BBC:

It's about a guy who at aged 34 decided to quit his job and try to see if he could become a golf professional.

Not entirely related to poker but ties in a lot with 'talent is overrated' and a few other books that are quite popular ATM.

Like these books recommended by Barry Carter
  • 4 replies
      Nice article, some of the books look cool too,
      thanks for sharing.
    • BarryCarter
      Love that guy, cant wait to see how he does at hour 10,000 - I hear he is actually doing really well atm

This is a great recent podcast on the topic, totally worth an hour of your time if it interests you

• comit007
      Without clicking the links, I would agree that with the requisite 10,000 hours of practice that talent is overrated. However, you still need a mind for whatever your are doing.

I'll use myself as an example, as it relates best to me :D

I used to play tournament paintball. I was quite good. It wasn't that I was a good shot, in fact I was usually the worst shot on the field. There were guys quicker than me, there were guys more skilled than me, and there were a few guys who thought the game better than me. But I had played for 10 years and had the experience to negate the skill of others.

In something like golf, I'm not sure how he's going to be able to get past the level of "innate skill AND 10,000 hours of practice" as you can only really play against yourself. However in poker, you are absolutely able to negate the skills of others.
    • EdgyAllan
      I used to disbelieve the 10,000 hours of practise thing, but it seems like it does have valid and specific backing to it. I also decided to stop moping about all the things I'm not/can't do and got a book that goes into detail about the "talent myth". So far it makes a compelling, incontestable case for natural talent simply not existing. It's all about practise, apparently.