This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

A new player's Micro SnG Journey!

• raprockx
      raprockx
      Bronze
      Introduction
      Hello, my name is Kristaps, I'm 19(Turning 20 in 2 weeks) and I'm from Latvia.
      Right now I am taking a year in between High School which I graduated and University because I was quite in a slump so I decided to figure myself out and sort all of my thoughts, and now I'm stoked to start Uni in September, but until then, I'll work on Poker and a few other things which I will discuss further in to the blog.
      I first started playing Poker and got introduced to it by a bunch of friends in 8th grade, of course it wasn't anything serious, but hey, winning some extra lunch money was nice :D , losing? Not as much :) . I stopped playing in 10th grade and almost three years later here I am, studying articles on PokerStrategy and playing online on PokerStars! I started playing on a more or less day to day basis around 2 weeks ago, even though I'm still playing only 2-3hours daily I feel like I am slowly progressing as a player and developing a better mindset towards the game and while in session. Do I expect to play more and perhaps, make a career out of it? Yes, I expect to play more in due time, but I'd rather not discuss the career question, because I feel like dreams are a mental lubricant which is unnecessary and weakens the mindset of a person, sure, everyone has dreams, but dreams aren't goals, you can keep dreaming forever, but it takes a strong personality to strive and achieve your goals, so what I will do is set short-term goals that are doable with my current skill level which will also be written below, also applies to RL goals.

What do I play?

As stated in the Subject, I am playing Micro SnG's($1.50 9-man standard) on PokerStars under the tag "raprockl0l"
      I also have to add that I play Freerolls from time to time.
      I chose SnG's because I feel like they're easier for a new player as opposed to NL cashgames.
      I expect to branch out to NL Cashgames in due time though.
      Starting Bankroll: $70

Short-Term Goals:

*Double my bankroll($140) (Deadline April 1st)
      *Study and do the Theoretical part for driving school(Deadline April 1st)
      *Do an entry exam in English(Deadline 15th of March)
      *Apply to a University in Copenhagen,Denmark(Deadline 15th of March)
      *Don't fail eating right(2 Weeks in)
      *Study Poker more often

So far...
      During the first few days I started playing I dropped 8 tables in one day -$12
      And a few more during the first week, which in total made around -$21
      In between week one and two I studied a bit of Poker and started making the right calls and currently my bankroll is $72.40(+$2.40), I still undoubtedly make bad calls, but I am slowly eliminating the amount of them. Right now, if I feel like i'm tilting I'm just gonna stop and review and be done with the session for the day. Also, if I drop 3 tables in a row I'm taking a break.

All in all, I will try to update the blog at least once a day, meaning I also might update it more than once a day :) .
      Hope you'll stick around with my journey, so yeah, stay tuned!
      I might also drop some questions in here for more experienced people to answer if they feel like it.
      My playlist for grinding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3FPoKBBjk&list=FLlinu1bFe2nnCZH54y8Qymw
  • 4 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello Kristaps and welcome to blogs. :)

Wow, 19, I remember being 19, well actually it was so long ago I don't really! :D

I think you are spot on in that updating regularly you will show you are trying and posting a few hands and thoughts will get replies I am certain. Good plan.

I wish you well and will keep an eye on your progress to, even though I'm no good at all at SnGs.

Good luck with the studies at uni to, when I went I really did have the time of my life up to that point.

Have fun and don't forget to keep us updated! :s_cool:

Mal.
    • raprockx
      raprockx
      Bronze
      -3.68 Today, nothing major, but still pretty unpleasant, considering how I played, played 4 tables, lost 3 and placed 3rd in the 4th, the games were really boring and passive as opposed to my previous experiences. I got hit by RnG(at least I think so until further study) pretty badly several times, I'd have AKs, naturally I'd raise preflop which I did, I'd get a re-raise to all-in which I called(Questionable I suppose even though I took in to account that he'd have AQ/QQ/AK), he had A5os, flop was Axx, the turn was irrelevant and river was a 5 so I just plain lost to two pairs.

Overall I think I still call in to pots I shouldn't go in and I need to control my play a bit more and start thinking a few steps ahead, gonna check my hand history and plays rest of the evening.
    • raprockx
      raprockx
      Bronze
      Today is slightly better, played 6 sng's and took 2 3rd's, got better at spotting flawed play but I feel like i'm really inconsistent right now, I guess I should devote more time to studying poker, even though my mindset is right and I've learnt the SNG strats(which i don't follow 100% of the time though).

My aim for today is to take a closer look at determining the opposite players range because I feel like this is getting me right now. Update in the evening and will also play another 5-6 tables.
    • raprockx
      raprockx
      Bronze
      Update: Unfortunately didn't play yesterday and was sorting papers for uni admissions and went on a date :D , I expect to play today and I should build up a more strict schedule if I want to try and succeed, else it's just not gonna go anywhere.

Update #2: Three tables, solid play, but perhaps went a bit too far with the deciding losing hands, Played 3 tables and lost 3. Really feeling like making a 5+ hour grinding session and seeing how it goes, because it is hard to evaluate how terrible I am lol.