confused about SSS SHC

• bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Hello, everyone!
      I'm a bit confused about the SHC.
      It puts AK in the second best hand group, and TT in the 3rd, so AK is a better starting hand than TT..
      so I lost an all-in with AK against TT, and, just out of curiosity, I entered these hands in equilator, and it shows that the odds are in favour of TT.. not by much, about 54% / 46% but still..

so, how come they are in such order in the SHC? I'm not saying that the SHC is wrong, it's just easier for me to trust something if I know why it is true..
  • 2 replies
    • hammiemon85
      hammiemon85
      Bronze
      Try this,

Take AK vs maybe 10% of top hands. Compare that to TT vs the same group.

You will notice that AK has a higher equity against the hands that an opponent is likely to call you with.

AK vs TT is essentially a race (coin flip, 50-50), but AK holds up more often against the best hands.

I hope my explanation here is correct. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    • duvel666
      duvel666
      Gold
      yep you are correct...

AKo vs any PP individually is around 43-57%

but when you play you don't really know the exact hands your opponent has, but you work with a hand range....

If you check everything using equilator, then you need to distinguish the diff between AKs and AKo ...

AKS ranks immediately after AA,KK,QQ,
      whereas AKo ranks immediately after all PP ...
      due to the extra flush possibilities AKs gives

since you are bronze and with these questions...
      I guess you are new to the concept of SSS..
      I can only advise you to stick to the basic SSS chart in the beginning playing the low limits...

As your poker game and your bankroll and thus the limits you play go up,
      more advanced SSS charts and techniques will be thought to you ...

but as allways...
      you first need to learn to crawl... then walk... then run ... then sprint ...
      in poker it is the same thing...
      moreso even ....
      the more complex techniques dont even work on low limits but tend to backfire because the players there usually interprete your moves differentl, and so you loose a lot of the +EV value....

just stick to that chart for now....
      keep in mind that AK is capable of beating as good as any hand (only AA and KK are tougher due to reduced outs against them) ...
      BUT, AK allways has to hit something,
      where any PP allready is some kind of made hand.. it has a better starting value,...
      as soon as AK hits.. it beats the PP generally (except trips, flush,straight... that forms around any card) ...

also, keep the opponents to a minimum with AK, they are very vulnerable in multiway pots,

edit : The starting hand chart is also made by very experienced players and keeping in mind actual game situations and calling ranges... Programs as Equilator are great... but they just calculate the equity of the hands without keeping in mind that ppl will call/raise less often with crap...
      we need value

hope this also helps you a bit ;)