A balancing act

• alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Hi Forum!

I was found loitering about the main forum by our good man Clawin, and was ferried to the Indian community.

I'm Arun, a local of bangalore. Yeup, a softie in a tech job. Played some super fishy poker for Rs1/2 blinds in college, till I found PS and starting killing those games. Well, the guys would usually play drunk or better, so not a mean feat by any margin!

I am currently grinding micros sng's at poker 770. Had sustained my starting bankroll for about 3 months before discovering that amazing murderer we call PLO. After a nice crash, am grinding the micro-minis again. (Hmm, micro-minis... I like :D )

So in other news, I enjoy a spot of trekking and do kickboxing. Hence my blog name: I don't want to give up on any of my hobbies, while maintaining a full time job and a full time girlfriend. So lets balance it all!

Goals for the next 3 months:
      Grind roll playing sng's at 50BI's. (is that too conservative?)
      Study the sng articles once more, and improve push/fold part of the game
      Post 5 hands a week on the sng tourney forums
      Try to keep this blog interesting!
  • 522 replies
    • Donkab0mber
      Donkab0mber
      Gold
      50 BIs for sngs is in no way conservative. GL with ur goals tho and hope u can achieve them. Remember grind on the mind and try not to degen again! :P

Welcome to the forums. Hav fun while enjoying the game!
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Donkab0mber
      try not to degen again! :P
      Wow.

On a more serious note, he's right. Please be more conservative in your bankroll management Arun, even the best of players can have horrific downswings...
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Hey AB,

Welcome to the Blog Section :)

Yup, mainting full-time job & full-time girl friend will drain your energy off, within that playing poker is hell of achievement. :D

Will look forward to more updates regarding poker

Good Luck
    • rajitkumar
      rajitkumar
      Bronze
      @ AB..bro some advice here as well...same condition...full time job at L&T..12-13 hrs..also girlfriend..how do u take out time to learn nd play??
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      This is gonna be a blog that i HAVE to follow:) . Sometimes I find it super hard to focus on all areas of my life. I end up focusing on one area too much all the time.:D

50BIs is about perfect. Have you seen the ICM trainer? It can help you in your push fold game. Most sites don't allow ICM trainer to be open while playing the game though. So make sure its closed after you use it.

Hope you stick to your goals and achieve all of them.
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Funny how one of the reasons you started playing becomes one of your leaks.
      I live in south bangalore, and the journey back from work takes agonizingly long, often over an hour. Poker became an interesting way to pass the time, and its always nice to report a profit from an otherwise passive bus journey.
      Except now that I normally 2-3 table, playing on a bus is a rather stupid move. Hopefully publicly acknowledging this will stop me from being silly down the line!
      A rather poor p/f decision i just made under the influence of road:

SB: 6,405 (42.7 bb)
      BB: 2,900 (19.3 bb)
      CO: 4,295 (28.6 bb)
      Hero (BTN): 1,400 (9.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K:club: 2:club:
      CO calls 150, Hero raises to 1,400 and is all-in, 2 folds, CO calls 1,250

Flop: (3,025) Q:diamond: 4:spade: Q:club: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: (3,025) 8:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: (3,025) 6:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 3,025 pot
      Final Board: Q:diamond: 4:spade: Q:club: 8:diamond: 6:diamond:
      CO showed Q:heart: K:diamond: and won 3,025 (1,625 net)
      Hero mucked K:club: 2:club: and lost (-1,400 net)
      [/hand_history][/converted_hand]

@donka: right, no degening. Strongly worded, perhaps, but I appreciate the good intent behind it. Note to self: No more PLO till 50BI BR! Can play micro 10c decave-omaha SNG if really need a fix.

@Mahnak, RK: Ah, but the lady isn't a drain on the energy! (And rightly shouldn't be) Haven't really had to choose on who to spend time with yet, but I'm sure I will make intelligent choices when i need to. I tried to get her to join PS, cos she's a shrink and has insane reads on people in real life. But nope, no patience for the grind. I get a few hours in the night, usually 9-12, to play. Making do right now, will make the necessary adjustments as my game improves.

Running off to kodai for the weekend with some buddies! Should be a good time.

Cheers,
      AB

Link of the day: (nsfw)
      http://gizmodo.com/5901436/boobstagram-is-how-you-will-spend-the-rest-of-your-day
      Its for a fine cause! And greater eye candy! (yeah, rather nsfw, so take care)
    • Donkab0mber
      Donkab0mber
      Gold
      lol didnt realise it came across as strongly worded. Anyways dat advice has no meaning coming from me as I'm a huge degen myself. lol

Also regarding the hand, I dont consider it a necessarily bad shove. Often times ur ahead even if u get called
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      After 25k hands, the poker gods have bequeathed upon me, the greatest honour of all!

MP2: 2,990 (74.8 bb)
      MP3: 3,040 (76 bb)
      CO: 1,300 (32.5 bb)
      BTN: 1,680 (42 bb)
      Hero (SB): 1,400 (35 bb)
      BB: 1,650 (41.3 bb)
      UTG+2: 1,480 (37 bb)
      MP1: 1,460 (36.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:club: T:club:
      2 folds, MP2 calls 40, MP3 folds, CO calls 40, BTN folds, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (160) 7:club: 4:spade: 4:club: (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks

Turn: (160) 5:club: (4 players)
      Hero bets 80, BB calls 80, 2 folds

River: (320) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets 160, BB calls 160

[spoil]Results: 640 pot
      Final Board: 7:club: 4:spade: 4:club: 5:club: 6:club:
      Hero mucked 8:club: T:club: and won 640 (360 net)
      BB showed A:spade: 3:heart: and lost (-280 net)

Barely any monies won, but I'm sure I'll remember this for a good while...
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Nice.:) Congrats :)
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Wassup Forum!

I had a mighty interesting weekend! On friday night, set out to kodaikanal with the kickboxing bunch. Its an interesting group, with just the right mix of artsy and techie, with a wild dash of crazy sprinkled all over.

We got to kodai, and headed to a farm 15 km away. And what a place it was! You know that a place is serious about peacing out when it calmly declares : "No non veg food or alcohol allowed". Its run by this old hippie dude, and filled with crazy travellers from all over the world.

So, we spend about 2 days there, eating amazing food and sinking away into the earth. If you're in kodai sometime soon, don't miss this little shop called Pastry Corner. Unbelievably good food, and it gets sold out within an hour of its opening! Something about that place.. mebbe all the interesting local flora just seeps into everything, and everything becomes 'special'

Course, this meant 4 days away from poker! The longest break i've had since i started playing. I look to my tournament graph for the month and see that I'm running about 22 BI below EV! I'll be waiting to cash out all that luck I've invested in other players.
    • prate1234
      prate1234
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alphabeat

We got to kodai, and headed to a farm 15 km away. And what a place it was! You know that a place is serious about peacing out when it calmly declares : "No non veg food or alcohol allowed". Its run by this old hippie dude, and filled with crazy travellers from all over the world.

was the old hippy dude a dog lover ? did he give u anything to "eat" ?
      Kodai is my fav place to unwind from the real world life..
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Kickboxing. I'm planning on starting too once I'm back. Hopefully I stick to that plan.

Never been to Kodai before. Been to coorg though. Guessing its kinda the same? Coorg was really peaceful. It's amazing if you can wake up early in the morning. You can just sip on your coffee and listen to nature. It's really peaceful. Best way to get rid the hangover of the previous night. :D
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      You can just sip on your coffee and listen to nature. It's really peaceful. Best way to get rid the hangover of the previous night.

I believe the later, but not sure about listening to nature and stuff. lol.

EDIT: 22BI below :(
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      @Clawin: Awesome, you fight too? Which school do you go to? I will post videos of my sparring sessions soon.

Aye, coorg is awesome too. I generally don't drink when I'm in the mountains, but yes, the peace is unparalleled. The altitude does it for me, no booze required! I think kodai is more commercial than coorg is, but luckily, the place i went to was far from everything, so we didn't run into the mad tourist crowds.

@prate: nope, you went to some other hippie commune.This was more of a cat guy i think. And you need to embrace subtlety, my friend! Aye, we had the freshest of produce from the markets

Posting on the forum from work now. Boss took a long weekend, so everyone seems to have bunked. What fun.

I looked through my hm2 data, and it appears that I lose money on wednesdays and fridays and make most on tuesdays and saturdays. How strange! Have you observed any interesting patterns?
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      haha if I see those kind of patterns I'd think about what I did on those days. In general there should not be any difference depending on the day. Well besides the fact that you can win more on Friday and Saturday since there are more recreational players.

Over a small period I wouldn't really about any statistic. Just focus on playing your A game everytime you sit to play and you should do alright. Also as usual post as many hands as possible for evaluations to that will be able to find any mistakes. :)

Also looking at these things can sometimes affect you on a psychological level too sometimes.

What do you think?
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Ola forum!

Good week this. Got back from a great trip, to office without boss. Everyone siesta-ed till tuesday, till boss returned. Then I got a promo, woo! Probably less time for poker now, but I'll get in some volume.

Getting sick of the ridiculous rake at the micros.. And the ridiculous cash out waiting times at poker770 is worrying too. Looks like vishmaster is facing the worst of it..
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alphabeat
      Ola forum!

Good week this. Got back from a great trip, to office without boss. Everyone siesta-ed till tuesday, till boss returned. Then I got a promo, woo! Probably less time for poker now, but I'll get in some volume.

Getting sick of the ridiculous rake at the micros.. And the ridiculous cash out waiting times at poker770 is worrying too. Looks like vishmaster is facing the worst of it..
      Hi,
      Yup, its taking too long, how long have u been waiting?
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Nah, not there yet, but will be soon. Have cleared the rake, but need to deposit money in order to withdraw/moving up stakes. Will do that as soon as I hear good news from you! :)
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I got the money just now :)

Good luck.