Nova asking for some aid.

• dumezd
      dumezd
      Bronze
      Hi

To start off where I'm going with this thread let me tell you where I'm at.
      I've deposited 16Euro on Pokerstars, and have been playing the SNG of 0.02 and 0.10cent.
      Also entering tournaments, but main focus is the SNGs.

Over the last weeks I've noticed a big improvement in my decisionmaking and can now consistently end up in region where you get payed, sometimes top10.
      The goal I've set for myself is win at least 10 0.10cent SNGs before I even think of moving up.
      This by maintaining a system. (If you want I can explain the current one I'm using want to keep the wall of text as small as possible for now)

So my question is, how do I progress the most effectively.
      I understand you can't go from a noob to a decent player in a few weeks since there's much to learn and you can only learn by failing a few times.
      This being said let's get back to progressing.
      If I can get some answers to this it's a start and I'll ask the rest of my questions afterwards.

Thanks in avance! :heart:
  • 6 replies
    • shivas80
      shivas80
      Bronze
      Google for: SNG bankroll management

U find some resources how to progress.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Choosing which stakes to play is not really just a matter of which games you can beat. It all depends on your current bankroll. If you're not rolled for a higher limit, you should not play it, even if you're confident you have the skills to beat it.

The recommended bankroll management for SNGs is 50 buy-ins per game, though 100 buy-ins is an alternative, more conservative approach.

You mentioned something about top10 placements, so I assume you play MTTSNGs? In this case, you should use a pretty tight BRM strategy, so I'd recommend 75-100 buy-ins. The variance is quite high in these games.

With only €16 in your account, I'd imagine that you have a lot of grinding to do before you can move up. What stakes would the next limit be, by the way?
    • dumezd
      dumezd
      Bronze
      Thanks already.
      And the next step would be 0.50cent SNGs just climbing up step by step.
      The reason why I'm currently playing with my 16Euro is to prevent myself from getting overconfident in the way I play.
      Cause short term succes can be misleading.
      I accept the grinding and will provide me with a better understanding.
      Or am I wrong to think like this?
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      That's a wise approach. It is always important to think long-term in poker. Just like you said, short-term results can be very misleading, in both directions.

One of the biggest challenges every poker player faces is to keep a good mindset in times of these swings. Many careers are ended or severely damaged at exactly this stage.

If the next limit is 50 cents, those tourneys might not be that far away from you after all. Maybe you can take shots at them once you have about €40, but that's up to you. But definitely don't play them until you have at least €25. Playing games with a bigger bankroll than necessary is never a mistake, but playing them with a lower bankroll always is.

Best of luck, and don't forget to study some strategy to further your theoretical knowledge, it's what gives you the edge against the other players in the end.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      Hi dumezd,

you got quite good advice from the guys above, bankroll management is something you must make for yourself and learn how to implement it. When it comes to studying your game, I must say it,, you're on the right place :)

There are plenty of coaching videos, live coaching, strategy articles etc. available on the pokerstrategy site, you'll just need to search a little bit across the site. Also there are specialized areas of the forum like: Sit and Go Tournaments or Tournaments where you can ask any specific questions about the current game format you're playing. For example, you can make a thread about some hand which gave you a lot of trouble in the late phase of some SNG, and our great community will help you out with best possible approaches to the problem.

Also, if you have anything else to ask, don't hesitate to contact me,

Greets,
      Fran
    • dumezd
      dumezd
      Bronze
      Yeah it has been helpfull indeed, almost managed to double my bankroll thanks for that guys.