RosiePlays

• rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm new here and just wanted to let you know a few of the basics about me:

- I'm 23
      - I live in Canada
      - After loosing my whole first deposit playing online poker I thought I'd learn a bit about the game and try to improve. :)

Anyway, that's me!
  • 10 replies
    • rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

- As a pass time and hobby: I would like to begin seriously playing poker and learning about it as a hobby. Apply myself, learn some theory while practising on the lower limits.

- Steadily grow my bankroll and one day eventually use it as a secondary income.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

- When I have been doing well in a session, I sometimes become over confident and lose a majority of my hard earned winnings of that session.

- In the past I have learned a strategy quickly and then focused entirely on playing and not on improving my game through the tools provided on this website.

- Sometimes when I’m playing I find myself distracted by the T.V. or something else that has my attention on my computer.

- Sometimes I will call a bet just to see a showdown that goes against my reasoning of pot odds, “…because what if?”

- I let my self-control slip and will enter a limit earlier than my bankroll permits.

- Play according to a draw-y or dry board. I get too excited about my own cards that I want to play them anyway.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Playing tight aggressive, to me, means sticking to the statistically proven strategy. It means pushing around the weight of your stack to pressure your opponents into making mistakes. You may wait a minute, an hour, a day, even a week until you get the hand you were waiting for and you capitalize, sticking to your reasoning and strategy.

edit: Added the last bullet point to question 2.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello rosieplays and welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

Good start on the homeworks! Please be patient and our resident poker guru Bogdan will be along to say hello as well.

Have fun with the course and make sure to ask lots of questions of the coaches. :s_cool:

Mal.
    • rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      Thanks for the warm welcome! I can't wait to sink my teeth into all the information here :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Excellent job!

I hope you can attend the Beginners Course Coaching today, it's at 17:00 UK time, which - bare with me :) - converts to EST 12:00? Correct me if I'm wrong, am so bad at this!

Anyway, we have a the great coach bierbaer delivering it, here is the link to the coachings:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/

Have fun,

Mal.
    • rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      Hey Mal!

I tuned in for a bit, but I was a bit late due to only seeing your post reply shortly after the start time. I didn't have any of the programs downloaded yet so I couldn't really make much use of the information and tutorial given. Would you be able to tell me when the next "lesson 1" will be taking place? Or I was thinking I may just try and catch up. I'd like to be able to take my time, and let all the information sink in though. I think I would get more out of doing it that way.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey rosieplays,

You can generally catch up with missed coachings at justin.tv.

Cheers

Laz
    • rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      I am trying to read the articles and watch the videos in the lesson #2 section but I don't have bronze level status yet. I have more than enough rakeback through pokerstars but my pokerstrategy.com profile has yet to update my status. Is there anything I can do?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there again rosieplays,

Ok, so about your problem with your status not getting updated, would you please send a ticket to our Customer Service people who will be more than happy to help. Here is the link to it:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/home/support/

Also, you don't have to keep up with all the lessons and coachings and homework if time doesn't allow for you to do that.
      You can jump into the coarse and out of it again just as you please; the course runs through the lessons and repeats over and over again, so there's no panic, you won't miss out on anything! :s_love:

You have a good time,

Mal.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello rosieplays,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Very detailed homeworks. I'll get back to you with my responses.

Best of luck at the tables and keep us up to date !!!

Bogdan
    • rosieplays
      rosieplays
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I am curious as to why I should fold T9s-54s when I am the small blind and everyone folds. Wouldn’t making a raise, result in a) The BB folds and you steal his blind, b) He calls and you see the flop with the possibility of getting a flush or straight draw, or c) He raises and you fold, which is what you would do with most hands on a 3bet. It occurred to me while writing this that post-flop the BB would have position on you. Is this the basis of the decision to fold?

Should I try to steal with a looser range in general?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Not so much preflop play, but I’m wondering if I played these correctly…

JTs vs Loose Opponent
      99 vs River Straight

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

The equity of AKo against the top 5% range is 46.32%. I used Equilab to find this equity. Is it even feasible to find this by hand?

edit: subject line