Question for the pros

• graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      My question is how long did it take for you to become a pro after taking the game seriously?

I guess a number of hands would be the most accurate but time length is valuable as well. Im sure some of you shot up really quickly and I am sure some of you won a big tournament early on that really helped your bankroll.

But how long did it take the rest of the pros out there to get to a level where they didnt rely on anything but poker for income? Ive been playing for a little more than two years but have probably logged in only 150k hands in that time. That being said im thinking it may be time to give up the dream
  • 10 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      150k hands in two years is very, very, very... (you get the idea) small experience.

Last year I played 700k+ hands I am still learning to become a pro and I don't give up. I know that after I clock in another 700k I will be printing money.

I do coaching, I study, I play, I make mistakes, I evaluate. This is what you need to become what you truly desire.

You have to stop thinking that becoming a poker pro is a dream, while it is a dream you will never reach it. Make your dream into a goal and you will be there!
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      its tough to do with two kids,a wife, and Asian time zones but i realize it isnt much.
      So you are targeting two years in the minors, sort of speak? Any current pros care to share their timeframe
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      150k hands and giving up? I played 150k in my first two months. So you are giving up what? It seems that you haven't even started. I mean if you want to become pro, you just go for it and you don't stop.
      I want to play poker for living.I think I will make it within two years for a modest life for sure and I'm going for it.
      You might have hundreds of obstacles, that won't let you succeed, but if you have the will, motivation and reasons why, you will succeed. I might be just a small fish talking big, but I've seen big things.
      Two kids and a wife is a happiness, not an encumbrance. It might also be a reason why to do it. Very melancholic post from your side. I wish you all the best! :)
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      This isnt about me per say. I make enough money with my job as is and my use of dream may have been taken out of context at my own fault. Giving up the dream doesnt mean totally giving up just pausing.

I am really just curious how long it takes pros to become pros.
    • adelaar
      adelaar
      Gold
      Thanks richard and jawof for the information about the quantity of hands that has to be played. I didn't know that you need to play so many hands.

And Richard what you say about learning, evaluating etc. is really motivating to continue.
      I prefer to play at Pokerstars and Full Tilt, because the smaller rooms like Poker770 doesn't have enough tables available.

Which pokerrooms do you recommand to build experience and bankroll?
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by graz187
      its tough to do with two kids,a wife, and Asian time zones but i realize it isnt much.
      So you are targeting two years in the minors, sort of speak? Any current pros care to share their timeframe
      I am married as well, though I don't have any children just yet but I understand how tough it is when you have a family. It is not an easy path for myself either. Time doesn't matter, your volume is the priority in improvement. Once you put in millions of hands online you become pro because of the experience at the tables.

Like 150k hands, for me is nothing. It is not even a sample to judge your skill set. If you want to become a pro, keep playing and studying.

Originally posted by adelaar
      Thanks richard and jawof for the information about the quantity of hands that has to be played. I didn't know that you need to play so many hands.

And Richard what you say about learning, evaluating etc. is really motivating to continue.
      I prefer to play at Pokerstars and Full Tilt, because the smaller rooms like Poker770 doesn't have enough tables available.

Play at the site where you feel the most comfortable and that gives you best edge, though poker room doesn't really matter. You have to make less mistakes than your opponents in order to make money and this applies everywhere. If you like PokerStars, stay there.

Rihard
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      Originally posted by graz187
      I am married as well, though I don't have any children just yet but I understand how tough it is when you have a family. It is not an easy path for myself either. Time doesn't matter, your volume is the priority in improvement. Once you put in millions of hands online you become pro because of the experience at the tables.

Like 150k hands, for me is nothing. It is not even a sample to judge your skill set. If you want to become a pro, keep playing and studying.

Originally posted by adelaar

Play at the site where you feel the most comfortable and that gives you best edge, though poker room doesn't really matter. You have to make less mistakes than your opponents in order to make money and this applies everywhere. If you like PokerStars, stay there.

Rihard
      Hey richard!

What's your main game is it zoom or are you just a multitabling genius? ^^
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I play Speed/Zoom as main format. And my volume is by no means huge compared to professional players. Some players put 100k+ hands a month.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      The volume isn't that hard to get on zoom ^^ I think I managed to get in 50k at 2 weeks or something like that.

Thanks for the answer!
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I managed to get the same volume when I played for one month regular tables. And I grinded for 100k hands. The only difference is just amount of tables but in the essence it is similar.