beginners course for cash game only??

• darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      is there any point in doing the beginners course if your not a cash game player .i dont play cash games just sit and go,s. i know there would have to be some benifit but how much, seems to be orientated around cash games?
  • 4 replies
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Hey darchvile40,

If you aren't going to be playing cash games, then I wouldn't recommend taking the Beginners Course. Although there might be some valuable information in there, the course won't help you as much as our new articles. You can find an overview of our new SNG articles here:

New SNG lessons

The lessons you find here are ordered in such a way that you'll learn how to play SNGs profitably as efficiently as possible, guiding you through all the necessary steps. So it's structured like a course in one way, including quizzes and videos accompanying the articles.

I think this will be much more useful to you than taking the Beginners Course!

Let's hope this will help you crush, best of luck at the tables!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      thanks tino, can i ask you another question regarding the ICM.

basically just when i thought i was getting to grips with it, i have gone over the articles in the sit and go strategy section ( basic lessons, chip value 3, application of the ICM)
      here its gives us 2 examples of the ICM the first one the SB is pushing the BB all in for 6000chips, hero has A9o etc........

howcome when i put this scenario into the ICM trainer itself it tells me that the SB can push almost 70percent here and hero call her with 56percent of hands with DOES include A9o. my understanding was it was ok to call because ICM trainer is telling u so but the articles telling you too fold.

is the ICM giving you a chip expected value only or how do i interurpt this?
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Hey again, sorry for the late reply :)

The ICM basically just gives each chip stack at the table a monetary value based on the probability of finishing in certain spots. I've done the calculation for the example from the article as well. You can find the results here:

Calculation

As you can see here, if you look at the bottom of the table, you will see that the SB can actually profitably shove any two cards here, whereas you can only call with 9.8% of hands. The reason for this is the BU, who has a shorter stack than you.

The basic idea is that if you call too wide now, there's a chance that you'll bust before the other short stack, leaving you with nothing instead of 3rd place or higher, which gives you a profit. So the risk-reward ratio isn't optimal and therefore you should be calling much tighter than you might expect.

Does that make sense? :)
    • darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      so is this mainly a feature of play around the bubble or all push/fold stage? if i had 77 instead of A8o, is it +$ev if i call? or in general should i be tightening up more than the ICM allows me to call when on the bubble??