SnG moving up in stakes question

• bodhizafa
      bodhizafa
      Bronze
      Hey all. I have been playing $1-$1.50 buy in sit n gos 18 players. I am finishing top 4 approximately 70% of the time. What I am wondering is at what point can I move up? When I'm 90% or 100% or can I now if there is no rule for doing so. Thanks in advanced .
  • 6 replies
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Top 4 approx. 70% of the time is really good. Imo you should move up when you have enough buy ins to comfortably play at the next limit. I doubt even Phil Ivey could get itm 90% of the time or higher even playing 1.50 sng's because there's way too much variance lol. I'm guessing that you've been running pretty well so far since 70 percent seems pretty high but if you could aim to sustain that and improve your play then you're good to go. Also, these sng's are usually pretty top heavy so it is pretty key to try to get as many 1st places as you can since 1 first place finish and a bunch of early bust outs can be more profitable than just squeezing in the money a few times. I am not a coach or anything but I think this is pretty sound advice or I wouldn't be talking haha. Gl man.
    • bodhizafa
      bodhizafa
      Bronze
      Much appreciated!
    • fred7790
      fred7790
      Bronze
      IMO if you maintain 10% ROI ater 2k games you can be sure you crush them and you will make money on higher limit as well.
    • fitzinator18
      fitzinator18
      Basic
      lol if you could get in top 4 100% of the time you should just play these for a living. that ofcourse, is impossible. 70% seems mightily farfetched, presumably a small sample size.

Originally posted by Michael2345
      Also, these sng's are usually pretty top heavy so it is pretty key to try to get as many 1st places as you can since 1 first place finish and a bunch of early bust outs can be more profitable than just squeezing in the money a few times.
      on the contrary, sir, 18 man sngs have an EXTREMELY flat payout structure. so much so that 1st to 2nd payjump is literally no different than 4th to 5th (5th being $0). every pay jump is just as important as the last (as opposed to something like a 9 person sng where 4th to 3rd is more important than 3rd to 2nd). certainly if you think you can make the money comfortably don't go taking risks on the bubble!
    • bodhizafa
      bodhizafa
      Bronze
      Definitely a small sample size. Had a huge downswing and have been on a very big upswing! also they are 18man and 45man SnGs in the $1.50 so its soft. With that being said, I've hit just over $100 profit at $1.50 tables in the past 3days. I only run one table at a time though as I havent learned how to run multiple tables at once yet (envy those who can!)
    • pauln
      pauln
      Bronze
      Only start coming to conclusions once you have 1000+ games at that level. That's not to say you can't move up when you're bankroll is big enough.

If I were you, I'd start practicing playing multiple tables. Start with 2 and slowly and only move to 3 when you feel comfortable with 2. It will be a bit of a stretch at first but that's the learning process.

There is no trick to being able to play lots of tables. The more skills you train to the point of instinct/snap judgement, the more time you have to focus on other stuff and thus the more tables you can play at once.