SH NL5 Zoom MSS or BSS?

• husky333

I have played around 500k hands of 6max SnG and last week I started playing 6max CG NL5 zoom. I really love the game and would like to know whether I should start playing MSS and after some time to move to BSS or shell I start playing BSS straight away? What do you guys suggest?

• 4 replies
    • tonypmm
      NL5 MSS? Are you kidding? Rake will slaughter your edge! Go BSS from the start, the higher stakes the better! (They'll put more pressure on you, and you'll learn faster, like learning to swim, encountering many postflop 'grey areas' that will give you food for thought daily.)

Also, the 'MSS' ratholer breed is going to die out soon when more major sites (not only Pokerstars) roll out some sort of 'buy-in obligations' :s_evil:

(Well, a necessary caveat is that I had been playing PLO for long enough before becoming an active Pokerstrategist, and I was 'taught' to hate 40 bb shortstackers who have a math edge in PLO, taking recreationals' money from bigstackers and not making good use of it themselves as it's mostly converted into rake.)
    • RasTweet
      Hey husky333

I play BSS myself and tbh I love MSS players. I don't think they are too hard to play against. This is on micro stakes though I've never played against an MSS player that plays high stakes.

I would never play MSS. So I would suggest you'd play BSS as well. If you don't feel comfortable just go to nl2 for some time and play BSS. You'll have more difficult spots post flop, but learning from that will greatly improve you as a poker player.

Best regards

• VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      One of the principles of good MSS play is to limit the number of other MSSers you play against.

You can't do that with zoom, obviously.

The more BSSers you play against, the better your MSS edge, but that means playing FR, and changing tables a lot as other MSS players join.

Play zoom 6-max BSS and steal wider than you normally would.

I played 1K hands of NL 2 zoom last night, and stole 46% w/ a 60% success rate.

Lost it going to showdown w/ 2nd best far too often, but that isn't the issue.

• husky333
      Thank you guys for your suggestions and recommendations. I will stick to BSS then :)