SSS Postflop - Pot Commited?

• elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Very often when we play the blackjack (AK, AQ, AJ) cards or QK and the middle pocket pairs (77,88,99,TT) in SSS, we miss the flop. Assuming the following:

1. We have 1 opponent.
      2. We are out of position / we are check to by out opponent.
      3. Flop is pretty dry.

Standard play dictates that we make the 2/3 contibet. After this contibet, we will very often have maybe about 9.5BB or less left. (20BB start - 4BB raise preflop - 6.5BB contibet)

Do we ever consider ourselves pot committed if reraised?

As of now, i'm folding everytime i get reraised in these situations.
  • 5 replies
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      elhh82

If you raise preflop, fire a continuation bet after the flop you have already bet over half your money. Your already pot committed, it doesn't matter if your opponent reraises. When your opponent reraises your probably beat most of the time but you have to throw the rest of your money into the middle.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      i don't quite like this line of play that you suggest though, the basic play suggest that we should fold if we meet resistance.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      No, you don't have to throw the rest of your money in! If you have trash hand you have to fold it if opponent reraises your continuation bet or calls and you don't improve on turn.
    • 4A888
      4A888
      Bronze
      We are pot commited if the pot odds and our outs dictate us to get our money in. So make yourself comfortable with the concept of odds and outs and call or fold according to them.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      This advice is for lower limits, as you increase limits and status you will get gold articles to help you:
      You will notice that we only play the hands in question (medium strength hands) from late positions. This gives us some advantages... first being position, so when the blinds call you it is easier to determine your contibet. Another is that you are in or have passed the blinds, and more often then not have less than 20BB. Others have acted, so often you find limpers in the pot aswell, and that will increase the pot on the flop.
      Lets look at a sample hand: Hero is CO 18.5 BB with A :heart: J :diamond: , MP1 calls 1BB, Hero raises to 5BB, MP1 calls for HU pot flop: 11.5BB
      Our hero has 13.5 BB left so any conti-bet is all-in, and this helps keep the decision process easy. Our hero can calculate his pots odds to push (in this case 2.85:1) so on the flop if a donk bets at him oop he can push with 7 clean outs or more (often a gutshot with 1 overcard is enough, or 2 overcards with backdoor draws for example) If the flop is checked the pot is large enough to push all-in. This eliminates both the flop check/raise bluffer fish and the check/call bet any turn bluffer fish (both types of chum are very annoying, simple plays work best) Personally I have reaped profit from chum who will call your initial 5BB raise, but simply will not call a 15BB c-bet, and I very often have nothing, zip, zilch, nadda, overcards, some draw, backdoor nut flush, simply put, I still think my ace high is good and I dont care to see a showdown to prove it. In addition, for roughly every 3 chum who do call with any pair, I draw out once to make up. So in review when I have a medium hand I tend not to play soft, I either push pre-flop, or on the flop, rarely do I standard c-bet. (I also play KK like this) I also tend to make my standard c-bet potsize, that makes a c-bet push even easier. Keep in mind I play with a very large pool of chum at low limits, and without stats they simply dont, or wont remember my patterns, other than uber-aggressive, and often turns over KK :D

This is my experience at NL10-25 fulltiltpoker, I very often sit down, pay blinds, within a few hands make a bet/am called, all-in flop/folded to, and dont pay another round of blinds... uncheck the auto-blind box and leave with 25.5+ BB, nobody ever saw my cards! (with alot of active tables you can really aggressively churn out 5BB profits and keep many tables on waiting lists)

And at the end of the long-winded speech is the best advice you will get: The odds n outs chart is your best friend to help you make tough calls, I would learn it well.