The New Me

• wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So when i was 16 i started playing home games round friends houses with relative success, these home games paid for my nights out and so on and so forth. A close friend of mine at the time and i decided that we would make a deposit online when we were 18 and try to go pro (lol). While my friend was on a heater and i was running how i should've been (losing), i felt really bad at the game, but continued, studied, immersed myself in poker for months... Still losing. This went on from June 2013 to... well the past week or so. These months were quite fun because i enjoyed playing, but i didn't want to be a recreational player, i didn't even want to play just as a hobby, i wanted to go pro, to be able to sustain my life on poker was my dream, i wasn't unrealistic, i didn't think i was going to be a millionaire, i just wanted to be able to live off the game.

On the 29th of January, everything started to go wrong in my life, my parents started being unkind, my girlfriend broke up with me, my friend attempted suicide, i had no job, no form of income and to top it all off poker was going worse than ever before (probably because of all the stuff that was going on, but i was still a losing player anyway). After getting incredibly depressed i went to the doctors and got on meds, these meds made me feel worse that i felt before. So i stopped taking them and decided i was going to get through this on my own, treated my life like a film (this really helped). Started working out a lot, started truely trying hard at poker, ate healthier, stopped worrying so much about girls, cleared things up with my parents and as i was taught in poker, i wasn't results oriented, i stuck at all the above things for about a month.

[[[The only website i play on is Pokerstars]]]

So, I decided now was the time, I'm going to commit every piece of energy i have to being a more productive poker playing machine. I started playing freerolls (i had no money across all bank accounts, wallets and pockets.). Finally i got one through, i think i was around a $1 cash.

I then started playing the $0.02, 990man games. and after about 100 games i had a $10 roll, i started playing the $0.10 360 mans (which i ran insanely hot in) and after 20 games i had a bankroll of $36. So i started grinding the $0.35 6max hyper turbo satellites, soon enough the bankroll was on $60... Thats when i found the game that i'm likely to grind for the forseeable future. The 9 man turbo.

I registered for 8 x $1.50 9man turbo KO sngs (multitabling is a skill i learned pretty quickly in poker). Instantly i had a connection with the game, i knew how to improve my ROI in these games, i knew how to exploit the bubble. I finally found it... My game.

since then i think i've played about 400 of these games (not a reliable sample size i know, but i've reviewed sessions, don't worry, i'm playing winning poker) and the roll is now up to $140, it would be up to 200, but i cashed out $60 for poker tracker, so i could start this thread and track my results without constantly spamming sharkscope and having to look at the horrific results i used to have, that fast but steady decreasing of money. I want to put my days as a loser behind me. My life is MINE now, i WILL achieve my dream of going pro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My "rules" are these;
      --------------------------

Dont take shots without at LEAST 50 buy ins to the next level

Never eat junk food before/during a grind.

No caffeine

Trust my reads

Don't play during peak hours while playing the micros

Don't be unkind to anyone, or talk to anyone who is unkind to me, bad
      self esteem or guilt will not help me play well.

Stop getting in so many relationships that are doomed for failure, this will not make me feel good, to win at poker one must be at least feeling okay.

Avoid contact with anyone who has some kind of cold/flu (I don't have time to get sick anymore)

No microwaved food or packaged easy food, i get sick very often when i eat these.

Maintain a positive outlook, if feeling under the weather, DO NOT PLAY.

Do not allow yourself to tilt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How often will i post on this thread, well, hopefully every day, definitely 4 times a week unless i have some good reason why not (if there is one i'll let you know). My first graph will be posted after my first session with poker tracker 4. Happy grinding folks.
  • 25 replies
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Good luck, Sir. I will be following :f_biggrin:
      If you are interested in discussing poker, I am in a few skype groups (most about SNGs), and I am sure I can let you in, if you want.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      WOW, that's a hell of a first post, really determinate and straight to the point.

I admire your mental preparation and will to achieve what you believe you deserve to achieve. Great mindset for now sir.

I will be following you for sure.

Best of luck on your journey,
      And keep us updated please, :)

Fran
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So i played my first session, but could do with some help posting up this graph, clueless. I've looked around a bit but cant seem to find anything

So i decided to load up 26 tables;

The session started off pretty horribly, picking up 3-AA within about 5 minutes, losing on all of them. Where normally, i would think "well this is definitely gonna be a losing session now" instead i thought "it doesn't actually matter, as long as im playing and making good decisions all will be fine in the end.

So the session went on, running a little under par through the session, but nothing too bad after that, ended up breaking even, but i did say i'd post the graph, so any help would be greatly appreciated, if not, i'm sure i'll work it out soon and post up the graph ASAP :)

Feeling: Good

Rules Broken: 0

Bankroll: $140

Thanks again :)

PS: I was checking out how to exploit rakeback properly, and found out that not only was there stellar rewards, ranking system and FPP but there's also something called "Battle of the Planets" i'm currently around 30th on the low and on the high orbit, hopefully this will give me a nice little boost every week if i can keep it up, someone let me know if you know how realistic it is to make a decent bonus every week off this promotion
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      to post a graph, I just take a screenshot of it, and use something like tinypic.com to upload it. when you upload it there, you will get some links. one of them is called something about forum. Copy that, and put it in the post where you want it.
      Maybe there is an easier way to do it - i dont know :f_biggrin:
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So apparantly after checking my PT, i didnt load up 26 tables, i loaded up 21, so the profit you see is from the 5 HU games i played to check the hud was working properly and stuff before i started my session :D here it is anyway

Will post again later in the day almost certainly. Tell me what you guys want to be in this blog, if i'm gonna do it, i want it to get positive feedback, this will really really boost my morale. Anyway, let me know.

Thanks again! :)
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So i played another session, 20 tables this time.

nothing too out of the ordinary, definitely running below where i should be.

I've noticed my early game play needs improvement, if anyone else is grinding these, send me your skype or something, we could do some sweat sessions or something. Cognitive learning is definitely a good idea i think.

anyway, here's the graph.

A winning session :)

Probably going to take a run for an hour, come home eat something, study for a few hours, see my friends for a while and then come home and play a 6 hour session till the early hours.

I've noticed a really defined change in the way i view poker now. I don't care about bad beats anymore, all i see now is equity once my stack is in, or the final action is made, that hand is over, now it's all just about the long run. I love this mindset that i've managed to get myself into. Hope i can keep it up, for the first time in a long time i'm genuinely proud of myself.

Thanks again guys
      ,Sam

PS: Forgot to state my name at the start of this adventure :)
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      Okay, so after reviewing my game, i found that i made most BBs at the later stages of the tournament and was only breaking even at the early stages, the middle stages i was a slight winner.

So with this information i'm thinking maybe i'm wasting my time playing turbos. If the only stages i'm making money at are mid and late stages, surely hyper turbo 9man games are more suitable?

Not committing to anything (a poker player must be able to adapt) but i think i'll take some shots at these hypers, although my bankroll is a bit small for them, if i just 12 table these instead of 20 tabling, i'll be able to concentrate pretty hard on each decision.

i'll post the graph after a few sessions.
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So, after changing games to the 9 man hyper turbos, i think (dont know for sure) these are the games i will grind. I knew 9 man sng's would be fairly high in fish because most guides and videos on the web are teaching 6 max or heads up, so naturally 9 man will be more fish infested.

I feel like these games capture all of my qualities as a player, like exploiting bubbles and money jumps, also i know how tight you can actually play with a 25BB stack, not like the players in these games who seem to think its a good idea to open ship hands like JTo from early position... questionable. There have been some really funny beats (im not complaining, i thought it was hilarious). So, this guy is folding nearly every hand, shoves in 470 chips, gets called by someone with 460 chips, the guy with 470 chips has AA, the guy with 460 chips has A2. A2 hits a wheel. the next hand i pick up QQ UTG+1, open shove with 600 chips at 30/60. The only caller i get is the guy with 10 chips who has JJ... he flopped quads. Made me chuckle.

Aaaanyway. Long and the short of it is that this is going really well, put in a nice session just now, went smooth, didnt run too good, didnt run too bad, one of those calm sessions where things pretty much go how they should.

here's the graph for anyone who wants it

[/SPOILER]
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Hi man. Impressive post and good luck with your goals. With that attitude you'll be crushing soon.

Here comes the advice part:

If you want to sharpen up your ICM play, download SNG Wizard and try it for free (30 days I think). I say this because it really helped my bubble play and skyrocketed my profit.

There also another software called Holdem Ressources, I prefered it, but free version is only 15 days.

And last but no least, variance will be brutal in hypers (i play 6 max hypers), so maybe you'll want to see your EV adjusted winnings (to see if your 100 Buy-in downer, it will happen it's normal, is due to bad play or variance is being a bitch). Sometimes you can be a very good regular and experience a 1000 games Breakeven stretch, and looking at your EV line still going strong will make you feel better I think :D

To do this simply thick the box next to ''Overlay Adjusted Winnings'' in PT4 next to your graph. You'll see how much you should've won or lost.

GET THOSE MONIES!

P.S: I'm just a 7$ reg, so I take no responsabilities if my advices are shit :P
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      thanks man, yeah i know, hypers can be extremely brutal, but worst comes to worst, i know i'm a winner at the turbos, so i'll probably move down if i hit like 60 bi's to $1.50s or something move up at 120bi's i think.

Yeah here's the EV line with the bottom line

I think it may help that i was a losing player for so long, i mean, that was like going through a 6 month downswing :) I'm pretty sure i'll cope, even if i go busto, i can always start again, but i dont think that'll happen, not this time.

Thanks for your advice, it's good advice, a $7 reg is likely more knowledgable about poker than a $1.50 reg, maybe not all the time, but in this case almost certainly. Good luck on your grind man

GOAL ADDED: Gold star this month? 1928 to go (i think i can do this one)
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      Pretty brutal session, see what you mean about the hypers, will probably play another 100 or so, see if i can get used to it, if not i'll just revert back to the turbos.

In this session pretty much anything that could've gone wrong did, the few hands that i won were when i was pretty much crushing their entire range, the rest it'd be like, "im ahead of their range here"... they have the nuts. Even so, managed to make the best of it, EV line is on the upward trend at least :)

still grinding till early hours.

• wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      took a break from the hypers, back to the turbos, ran 20 tables including;

9 man [turbo]

9 man KO [turbo]

18 man [turbo]

I also played 2 tables of zoom 2nl of course :)

will post up both graphs
      (yes i'm aware i ran hot in the cashgames, i'm like a 2.5bb/100 winner there
      however so i thought i might as well play them)

bankroll: $174

rules broken: 0

mood: still motivated

plans: Sleep, wake up tomorrow, put in 4 hours, enjoy the rest of the day poker free with my friends (no drinking). wake up refreshed and happy saturday for the grind probably play about 12 hours saturday, get plenty of sleep. Then sunday, time to mix in some MTTs :)
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      now that my bankroll is at 174, hopefully this number will go up tomorrow, so i will change my account restrictions and take shots at the $3.50 games on saturday. Nighty night grinders, hope you run with your ev line :)

PS: so very glad i decided to make this blog
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      subject and graph pretty much do the talking

Still... Staying motivated :)

• wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      oh dear, so i took the shots and ( i know it's just coincidence ) got 2 outered left right and centre, played 4 tables of 9man hypers $1.50 inbetween this session and another. In the 4 table session, things went how they should really go... Back to the 3.50s back to the two outers... Gonna drop back down (not because i think im "unlucky") to the $1.50 hypers, my best success appeared to be there, and i can really put in volume there so although variance is higher, i will get a reliable sample size sooner :)

I didnt drink last night at all which is really good, but i did get home at about 4 in the morning(ish) (i had to walk very far) my body is a little achey, hopefully not too big a distraction from optimal play.

graph (gotta catch up to that EV by putting in mad volume today.)

still broken no rules :D
      still motivated :D
      whether the results are positive or not, im feeling really good about this challenge :D

See you all tonight with my new graph (hopefully it'll have caught up to EV a little bit.
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      So after my 3.50 shots, i decided that maybe the 9 mans weren't the ones for me, as the reg rate was way higher even jumping from 1.50's to 3.50s. So i had a look around on 888 for better games and decided to play the DONs for a while. I spent about 3 hours studying ICM and noticed my results were alot better after the simple realisation that sometimes +cEV =/= +$EV. So after winning at these (bringing the bankroll up to around $390, i then realised that the amount of time i was spending waiting for games, how hard it was to mass multitable on this site, no hotkeys and so on... I was going to transition back to stars and continue my challenge, this time however, playing the fifty50s... To my pleasant surprise i've been averaging about $8.75/hr 25tabling $3.50 fifty50's with an roi of about 10%. My hourly rate would be better if i spent less time breaking. So, i will now carry on with my challenge, new graph (new game time) better rolled, and more motivated than ever before :D

My graph so far today (planning to play 125 more games before the end of today).

In all the fifty50's are;

A) easier to multitable (no 3man/HU dynamic to worry about)
      B) more fish saturated
      C) even the regs here seem not to understand ICM very often.
      D) MUUUUCH lower variance.
      E) lower rake
      F) much easier bubble exploited
      G) fish in these games give me way more of an edge than fish in 9mans.
      H) they're pretty fun

BR: $431.97

Oh and i almost forgot i'm only 1029 VPPs from gold star, so that should be easily achievable with 10 days to go :D
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Nice going so far, keep it up and congrats (if a little premature) on getting goldstar. :)

Of course, you do realise that being as organised as you are is very motivating even for lazy old gits like me? That's quite a disturbing thought.

But seriously, you do seem very focused and organised and know just what, when - and more importantly why - you're doing things; it all makes for a very good read even for a SnG fish like me. Good stuff, thank you. :s_cool:

Run good and have fun,

Mal.
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      Thanks Mal, will post up the new graph at the end of my grind today :) all's looking good though man, thanks for your kind words. Good luck. The grind is only as fun as you make it.

Thanks for your support and compliments.

BR: $450
    • wtrtwbnf
      wtrtwbnf
      Bronze
      put in another 50 games since yesterdays post. was way too tired to continue yesterday, figured, yes, i do need to put in a lot of volume, however playing when tired isn't good despite that, gonna try and put in the extra 125 games today instead, but i got a busy schedule as it is friday :)

Keep grinding, keep that love for the game going :D